Sprint Nexus 5 to T-mobile

Search This thread

matts290

May 31, 2011
Hey guys, just picked up a new Nexus 5 about a week ago after a couple years with an iPhone 4. Loving the phone but have quickly realized how terrible Sprint's LTE is. I was looking forward to getting a LTE device and though my slow data woes were due to having a 3G phone, but now I realize that Sprint just has poor coverage where I live.

When I got the Nexus, Sprint switched me off my contract to the new "Framily" plan crap, and set up the Easy Pay for the Nexus. So if I am not mistaken I can take my number somewhere else whenever I want without any ETF, just have to pay off the remaining balance of the phone. T-mobile has excellent service in my area...

So my question is; I know the Nexus 5 is an unlocked phone, and in theory my device I bought from Sprint should switch right over to T-Mo with no problem. I have searched around and found a lot of people asking the opposite question- wanting to go from T-mobile to Sprint with their Nexus 5 and Sprint has given them problems not wanting to add the IMEI to their system since it wasn't bought from them or the Google Play store.

Does anyone know if it will be possible for me to just pay off my phone balance/bill with Sprint, walk next door to T-mobile and get up and running with them using the same exact device?

Thanks!

spinninbsod

May 17, 2013
new york city
look at your Coverage area for T-Mobile if not go to an Att mvno called puretalkusa if coverage is good T-Mobile will pay your etf but it is an absolute pain in the a$$ in the process of getting it setup so they will pay the etf you may have to stick with sprint for a month or so call sprint and ask what the contract payment would be or you can keep your nexus 5 and get the cheapest plan on sprint and find an old sprint phone and activate and take your nexus 5 to T-Mobile thing is I don't know if sprint carrier locks there nexus 5s

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

matts290

May 31, 2011
look at your Coverage area for T-Mobile if not go to an Att mvno called puretalkusa if coverage is good T-Mobile will pay your etf but it is an absolute pain in the a$$ in the process of getting it setup so they will pay the etf you may have to stick with sprint for a month or so call sprint and ask what the contract payment would be or you can keep your nexus 5 and get the cheapest plan on sprint and find an old sprint phone and activate and take your nexus 5 to T-Mobile thing is I don't know if sprint carrier locks there nexus 5s

T-mobile coverage is excellent in my area according to their map on the website, not sure how accurate/true that is...but I have a coworker who has a S4 on T-mobile and gets excellent speeds all around the office while I can only get LTE in certain areas of the building and even then I am lucky to crack 5mbps

As for the ETF thing, if I am understanding correct I should have none because I am no longer on a contract plan since switching to the Framily plan. So for me to get away from Sprint all I would have to do is pay the balance on my Nexus, plus of course my latest bill I am sure, and then I am free...no need to get T-mobile to pay my ETFs.

Really just wondering if Sprint "carrier locks" their devices like you said above...which again, if I am understanding correctly, isn't really possible with a Nexus phone because it is, well, an unlocked phone.

spinninbsod

May 17, 2013
new york city
It is accurate I get okay signal in my area but a around not that great but its a lot better than Verizon I always got terrible signal with Verizon you are very lucky I hope you never have to deal with T-Mobile technical support because it is very terrible

---------- Post added at 12:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 AM ----------

I try to stay out of contracts T-Mobile has no contracts lucky you don't have to deal with etfs

Reactions: matts290

GituSum

Jun 8, 2010
Houston,Texas
The phone isn't locked to sprint. I just switched a couple months back. Went to T-Mobile put in there sim and went about the rest of my day.

Reactions: matts290

matts290

May 31, 2011
The phone isn't locked to sprint. I just switched a couple months back. Went to T-Mobile put in there sim and went about the rest of my day.

Ok awesome, exactly what I was wondering. So I can still get their 80$ fully unlimited plan with bringing my own device?

Also I see you are located in Houston like me, how much better is T-mobile's data for you compared to Sprint...

GituSum

Jun 8, 2010
Houston,Texas
Ok awesome, exactly what I was wondering. So I can still get their 80$ fully unlimited plan with bringing my own device?

Also I see you are located in Houston like me, how much better is T-mobile's data for you compared to Sprint...

It's been good so far. I get lte in a few places I would get 1x with sprint. The couple things I've seen with T-Mobile is once you leave the city its no good. I would be on edge a good amount of the time while my wife (with an N5 on sprint) still would have lte. This was going to college station and San Antonio. The other thing is building penetration. T-Mobile signal gets worse when I go inside buildings. To be honest I'm having my wife wait until they roll out the spark update to see if I pick up better signal at the few places I was getting 1x. If I do and T-Mobile hasn't upgraded there edge speeds to lte outside of the city then I'll go back to sprint.

Last edited:

GituSum

Jun 8, 2010
Houston,Texas
Dang - and I thought Sprint's signal's building penetration was horrible... didn't realize T-mo was bad as well.

Dont get me wrong sprint wasnt that great either. Its just tmobile is a little worse. Not that i dont have signal but it will drop to edge or a slow 3g/hspa. At least where i go. My big thing is the signal out of the city. I travel outside of houston often and i would hold lte alot longer on sprint then i do with tmobile. Tmobile is supposed to be upgrading there edge towers with lte by 2015 so it might be better. But thats the great thing about the nexus
5, if the service sucks you can just switch.

Overall though when I'm in the city I've been a lot happier with T-Mobile. The LTE speeds have been double those of sprint. That might change if the nexus gets the spark update though. So if you stay in the city more you'll be a lot happier with T-Mobile.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It is accurate I get okay signal in my area but a around not that great but its a lot better than Verizon I always got terrible signal with Verizon you are very lucky I hope you never have to deal with T-Mobile technical support because it is very terrible

---------- Post added at 12:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 AM ----------

I try to stay out of contracts T-Mobile has no contracts lucky you don't have to deal with etfs