[Q] Impossible Rooting Polaroid PSPR355

Search This thread

MecaMarck

Jun 20, 2014
Hello XDA community, this is my first thread, i had never needed to post anything cause i always find everything im searching for in this awesome community... until now :crying:
Last week I got a new android device which is made by Polaroid, model: PSPR355, its a pretty low class device but I thought it would be enough for me.... then i realize I needed root permissions, for obvious reasons... easy I thought... i had rooted many devices...how hard can it be...right?... WRONG! :crying: . The first problem I encountered were the drivers..couldnt find em anywhere... fortunatelly i found a tutorial were i could install the drivers in a different way...although I took 2 days to do this...Ive been about 5 days trying to root my phone.... Ive tryied about 10 different programs with their different versions... and any of those rooted my phone, nor Oneclikroot, nor Unlockroot, etc, etc..... I really gave up trying to find something on the web cause i didnt even find the phone on its official site, so I came her defeated asking for any solution, idea, or if you want to help me with commands, a programm or anything else to root my phone, Im not even afraid of trying programming (Im trying to learn how to make roms, kernels, etc for this phone cause theres nothing on the web abou it but this is a theme for another time) if you wanted to help me i would really appreciate it, im a little desperate so anything would come useful thanks everyone and I hoppe you can help me!!! :fingers-crossed:

shimp208

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 25, 2011
Boston
If you wanted to help me i would really appreciate it, im a little desperate so anything would come useful thanks everyone and I hoppe you can help me!!! :fingers-crossed:

I would recommend trying the towelroot application. It can be downloaded from here, just click on the orange lambda to download the tr.apk file. Then open towelroot follow the instructions in the application. After the device reboots I would recommend downloading, Root Checker Basic form the Play Store and running that to make sure your device is rooted. Finally install SuperSU, and you should be good to go.

MecaMarck

Jun 20, 2014
First thanks for answering so fast shimp208! And I guess I forgot to tell that I was in Mexico and Im using Telcel's network, I downloaded and installed the apk file but it doesnt starts I click the button pops up a black screen and then closes to the last app I used...any idea about this error...or if its beacuse of the carrier, by the way the device has Android 2.3.7 I dont know if it has something to do with this error

shimp208

Jan 25, 2011
Boston
First thanks for answering so fast shimp208! And I guess I forgot to tell that I was in Mexico and Im using Telcel's network, I downloaded and installed the apk file but it doesnt starts I click the button pops up a black screen and then closes to the last app I used...any idea about this error...or if its beacuse of the carrier, by the way the device has Android 2.3.7 I dont know if it has something to do with this error

Does it present an error message of any kind before it force closes? Try uninstalling and then re-installing the application, and if that doesn't work go to application manger under settings, find the towelroot application and select the options to clear it's cache and data. The carrier won't have any effect in this case, and with it being Android 2.3.7 your device most definitely has a kernel build date before June 3rd, 2014.

MecaMarck

Jun 20, 2014
Does it present an error message of any kind before it force closes? Try uninstalling and then re-installing the application, and if that doesn't work go to application manger under settings, find the towelroot application and select the options to clear it's cache and data. The carrier won't have any effect in this case, and with it being Android 2.3.7 your device most definitely has a kernel build date before June 3rd, 2014.

No it simply closes without showing anything, and without even giving the "Force Close" message, i thought it was because i first installed it on the sd card, or because of not enough space but no, I moved it to the phone and uninstalled some apps I had, I uninstalled and installed towelroot twice and it didnt work, I installed the v1 of it and i got to the [make it ra1n] screen but when I click the button it closes immediately again without any error message

Last edited:

shimp208

Jan 25, 2011
Boston
No it simply closes without showing anything, and without even giving the "Force Close" message, i thought it was because i first installed it on the sd card, or because of not enough space but no, I moved it to the phone and uninstalled some apps I had, I uninstalled and installed towelroot twice and it didnt work, I installed the v1 of it and i got to the [make it ra1n] screen but when I click the button it closes immediately again without any error message

Very interesting, while in theory the app should work for any kernel build date earlier then June 3rd, 2014 the app many not be compatible with devices running an Android version less then 4.x.

MecaMarck

Jun 20, 2014
Very interesting, while in theory the app should work for any kernel build date earlier then June 3rd, 2014 the app many not be compatible with devices running an Android version less then 4.x.

Yes that´s what i thought, do you think that theres no rooting method for this phone? if so, do yo think there´s a way of doing one?

shimp208

Jan 25, 2011
Boston
Yes that´s what i thought, do you think that theres no rooting method for this phone? if so, do yo think there´s a way of doing one?

Since you have the usb drivers working on your computer, try booting into the bootloader and using fastboot to see if the command fastboot devices returns anything. If the computer see's the device in fastboot that's a good sign. If your device doesn't have a locked bootloader which it likely doesn't, then I can try and create a rooted system image for you to flash in fastboot. Provided fastboot see's your device if it does, if you can provide me an adb dump of your /system folder then I will see what can be done.

klonic0

Nov 27, 2010
Same Boat

Since you have the usb drivers working on your computer, try booting into the bootloader and using fastboot to see if the command fastboot devices returns anything. If the computer see's the device in fastboot that's a good sign. If your device doesn't have a locked bootloader which it likely doesn't, then I can try and create a rooted system image for you to flash in fastboot. Provided fastboot see's your device if it does, if you can provide me an adb dump of your /system folder then I will see what can be done.

I'm in the same boat
I use moto-fastboot (any way it's fastboot)

#:\moto-fastboot devices
? fastboot

don't show any info...

I do a system dump in this way

#:\adb pull / c:\PSPR355

mega,co,nz/#!ThIUQYiS!LLbJ9e1-yVJI4juNlWQuPfa9GFH6HP9lr4X8Gwu1MBY

Change "," please, sorry mod if you want i can delete it! =$

shimp208

Jan 25, 2011
Boston
I'm in the same boat

? fastboot

don't show any info...

Unfortunately if fastboot doesn't show your device without any other flashing utility, even with the system dump there is no way to flash a rooted system image if it was created.

Reactions: MecaMarck

MecaMarck

Jun 20, 2014

Hello shimp well I connected my device on FastBoot Mode and my computer recognized it and it installed a driver named: ADB Testing Interface I dont know if thats a good sign or what should I do, I tried entering into recovery mode but it shows only an android little guy and exclamation quote... so I think it doesnt have a recovery boot I dont know if thats relevant, Could you help with the adb dump i dont know how to get it. And.... I dont know if besides you help me with the rooted system image you could teach me how I do this.... anyways thanks a lot for helping me! I'll keep doing everything you need so we can root this device! :D

shimp208

Jan 25, 2011
Boston
Hello shimp well I connected my device on FastBoot Mode and my computer recognized it and it installed a driver named: ADB Testing Interface I dont know if thats a good sign or what should I do, I tried entering into recovery mode but it shows only an android little guy and exclamation quote... so I think it doesnt have a recovery boot I dont know if thats relevant, Could you help with the adb dump i dont know how to get it. And.... I dont know if besides you help me with the rooted system image you could teach me how I do this.... anyways thanks a lot for helping me! I'll keep doing everything you need so we can root this device! :D

Since your computer recognizes the device and installed the driver and shows the device when in fastboot mode that's a good sign. The Android with the exclamation point is part of normal stock Android system recovery, it just means that the recovery menu has been hidden (You should be able to get the menu to appear by pressing the power and both the volume buttons in recovery mode). To dump /system run the following command:

Code:
adb pull /system

Then please send me a link to the /system dump, from there I will make a rooted system image.

Xitorax

Oct 15, 2014
Factory Rooted??

Hey guys I'm new to this so I may be wrong but has anybody thought to check if the Polaroid PSPR355 comes Factory Rooted??? I had a Polaroid Tablet, PID something(I forget the name), which I tried for hours to root resulting in: bootloop, hard reset, root, bootloop, hard reset, root, bootloop, hard reset, about to give up. So I Googled how to root Polaroid PID something (again, I forget the name), and I come to a post somewhere(forgot that too) that tells me my Tablet and similar Polaroid electronic devices(as well as most electronic devices coming from China) are factory rooted due to some Chinese law. So after the last hard reset, I downloaded HowToRoot App to check if my Polaroid Tablet is, in fact, rooted. I press the little lock button(root checker) and I find that, to my surprise, my Polaroid Table is in fact rooted. So all I had to do was download SuperSU from Google Play Store and Update Binary when prompted and I was Super User. Don't know if this helps but it worked for me.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm in the same boat

? fastboot

don't show any info...

Unfortunately if fastboot doesn't show your device without any other flashing utility, even with the system dump there is no way to flash a rooted system image if it was created.