[BREAKING NEWS] No ICS for Xperia PLAY?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

jim1h

Mar 21, 2011
Oops don't know how the double post happened!!

I forgot about the ps suite, to be honest, thinking about it the phone is 14 months old, a lot of people have paid £500 for it or tied into a 2 year contract.. Why shouldn't they expect a bloody update.. Legally if someone has bought this phone expecting ps suite because this was advertised at the time they could expect compensation!

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

andiemerchcomia

May 27, 2011
Cebu City
Xperia play Definitely my last sony and android phone. Bought this last december just for the ICS.
Will gift this to my bro and ill get iphone 4 or 4s. Good by sony and android.
Sent from my R800i using XDA

Reactions: Mr Vic

gerickjohn

May 29, 2011
D=

How unfortunate to Xperia Play owners, I head on here as soon as I read the post on Sony's blog, I guess Sony E. had it coming to them cheaping out on the components. :(

blogs(dot)sonymobile(dot)com/products/2012/05/25/update-on-ice-cream-sandwich-rollout-for-xperia-smartphones/ [Cant post links yet. XD]

Well.. excited for my Arc though. :D

Geeve

Jul 10, 2011
I actually thought it was OP's joke/assumption the first time I read the thread (sorry OP :D).

Well, I'm not sad/mad, not at all. Yes, it was an extremely big dissapointment for everyone and Sony might lose a lot of angry customers, but maybe they know better.
The thing I don't understand tho is why would a game not work on XPlay ICS and would work on other ICS device? Is there some kind of conspiracy?

Meh, I'm sure there will be an update for XPlay in the near future (mostly because of the new XPlay launch app I saw on ICS beta, which makes it look more like PSP's OS).

Last edited:

The_Newtype

May 23, 2011
Orlando
I'm a little disappointed, but there aren't enough new "features" in ICS to make me feel like I'm missing out on anything by not receiving the update. Even after rooting and removing some of the bloat, the phone still has it's occasional hiccups, though is rock-solid in terms of reliability.

I wouldn't mind getting one more firmware update (or perhaps a free Playstation game?!), but I'm pretty satisfied with my Play.

---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 PM ----------

Xperia play Definitely my last sony and android phone. Bought this last december just for the ICS.
Will gift this to my bro and ill get iphone 4 or 4s. Good by sony and android.
Sent from my R800i using XDA

Never buy a device for what it could or will do; always buy for what it can do for you right now

bigas

Mar 5, 2011
In some way, this is a good news. I hope the ones who care to develop GingerBread stuff for Xperia Play (ie CyanogenMod7) focus on finish the wonderful job already started. And I’m not asking anything else, BUT, kernel + battery improvements AND 720p recording would really push the hardware to its limits.

puelocesar

Jan 3, 2011
Stop apologizing for Sony mistakes

My next phone will be an iPhone. Definitely. Games are better, apps are better looking, and Apple will support your phone with updates for YEARS.

The first iPhone stopped updates only on 3.1 I think, so it supported 3 MAJOR versions, while Android phones barely can handle one.

Stop apologizing Sony behavior, you are being just Sony puppets. The thing is, Sony *PROMISED* ICS, and a lot of people, including me, bought the Play because of it. And now they came and say, sorry, but Android game developers don't want to fix their games on the phone, so no ICS for you guys.

And about the performance, yes, you can have good performance on Xperia Play with ICS, but due limited RAM, you have to remove all Sony bloatware, something they apparently doesn't want to give up.

Geeve

Jul 10, 2011
Also, wouldn't it been better if Sony made the ICS update available along with a big red mark in front of it, saying something like:
Highest user and gaming experience might not be assured. Update unstable, proceed at your own risk. For the best performance for this device, continue using version 2.3.

EagleDelta1

Feb 27, 2012
I don't understand why people are up in arms - The blog specifically stated that the decision was made based on feedback from both the internal dev team AND community Developers. It's no secret that there are bug problems galore in ICS for Xperia Play, not to mention the hardware specs don't quite match up to the minimum that Google requires for 4.0

Someone else already said this, but I'll repeat it: NEVER buy a phone (or ANY computing device) for what it COULD do, always on what it can do now. Future features in the tech world are always subject to change in their development lifetime.

I'd also like to note that it's not Sony's job to get 3rd party apps working on ICS for their device, it's those companies' responsibility

Last edited:
Reactions: CTU_Loscombe

coldfusion182

Dec 15, 2011
Sad sad news...

I was excited with ICS because of the way it manages internal storage, it just assumes it has one storage (and it being the sum of internal memory + SD card memory) so it would circumvent the ridiculous amount of internal memory that the xperia play has to install apps (if this is not true I would like someone to tell me so, because this is what mainly has me so pissed about not having ICS)

This is almost as bad when Sony removed Linux from the PS3!

I will never ever buy another thing that has the Sony brand on it, you never know what are they going to take away from the product.

So many promises... so many dissapointments!

thatsupnow

Jan 31, 2011
Vernon
Google Pixel 8
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Oops don't know how the double post happened!!

I forgot about the ps suite, to be honest, thinking about it the phone is 14 months old, a lot of people have paid £500 for it or tied into a 2 year contract.. Why shouldn't they expect a bloody update.. Legally if someone has bought this phone expecting ps suite because this was advertised at the time they could expect compensation!

Pfft! Your an idiot and that's just thinking like an asshole would. That lawsuit would never get off the ground. Ever! Just let it go and try getting a life instead of thinking of bull****

Sent from my R800a using XDA App

Last edited by a moderator:

TwilightLoz

Dec 25, 2011
is it possible for developers in the xperia scene to make the BETA into a fully functional ROM as if Sony were to make it?

tiagoSequeira

Apr 8, 2011
Porto
I always liked Sony's phones over the market beasts but now it really is over, never again gonna buy a Sony branded device. I only bought play because I was sure I would have official ICS if I knew about this I wouldn't have bought this phone. I'm really upset with this! Can't they keep something until the end? I think they always leave their projects on its half! Xperia Play could be way better if they made many more optimized games for Xperia Play only. They could make the ICS update! The other 2011 Xperia line phones have the same specs! Instead of not providing the update they could do something right and update it along with the launch of some optimized games for ICS! I'm sorry if I'm saying nothing useful but I really needed to spill this out!
Sony you just died to me.

The-Captain

Retired Forum Moderator / Inactive Themer
May 18, 2011
Keep it cool guys, be nice, this thread is not to get people in arguments. I don't want to close this thread, but I will if I need to.

Rogue Leader

Apr 4, 2011
New York
The PS Suite, which is the store and launcher, IS out, its just not available in many places yet. It works on 2.3.3 I have it, too bad I have no damn games in it because its not officially released.

For anyone saying lawsuit or that they will never buy Sony again, come on, seriously? They sent the beta out to the community and the community came back with it not working. It has nothing to do with the specs and everything to do with the implementation of the gamepad. There were over 300 games released for this platform, if the most popular ones don't work, Sony will have a riot on their hands. This was not a corporate greed decision. And the man who said don't buy it for what it will do, but for what it does now is the smartest man in the room.

Go enjoy your iPhone and being stuck in the walled garden of crap that is Apple.

supernoodles2011

May 25, 2012
Ramsgate
Indeed Ive been using this forum for a while now (to unbrick my Xperia play etc) and the devs and most members are amazing i hope we get a stable working rom with wifi/market etc

i honestly dont care about games anymore with this phone (i know its a gaming phone)

i just want the new ICS for most of its features

I.E... Face unlock - Task Manager And the ability to just swipe away apps to close them and im sure many other things that i cant think of right now as my brain is broken from the news of no official ICS =/

JayGB2011

Feb 16, 2011
freegiffgaffsim.blogspot.com
Did we ever get an update to enable 720p recording which along with PS Suite was advertised at time of purchase?

I'm on ICS++ at the moment but do find that the device is not suited to ICS in general.

How can I safely return to GB? Which is the most stable and Stock like GB ROM?

I do admire Sony for releasing a beta ROM but to turn around and say nope we're not releasing it has completely changed my mind about them, The more fragmented Android gets the worse I am finding it.

I am thinking of selling the Xperia Play and Note + Touchpad as Android just is'nt for me anymore I think.

I'd much rather prefer to "join the garden" as this provides updates for a couple of years at least.

Android devices it seems are lucky to get updated after 12 - 18 months, Plus who releases the updates? Carriers / Manufacturers etc... Far too much uncertainty for my liking.

Don't get me wrong Android does have some nice features and being open is a major plus. But the constant Kang'ing of other people's work / Cooked ROM's are simply killing the Android eco-system

I wouldn't be suprised if Google shifts focus to Chrome now they have hired the WebOS team who use HTML5 and not Java apps like Android.

Sorry for the wall of text :)

jim1h

Mar 21, 2011
Pfft! Your an idiot and that's just thinking like an asshole would. That lawsuit would never get off the ground. Ever! Just let it go and try getting a life instead of thinking of bull****

Sent from my R800a using XDA App

Nice! What are you talking aboot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    To all the people jumping on the "f*** you Sony!" bandwagon

There is no point, at all, in getting angry about this. They rolled out the beta as a way for the community to test and give feedback on what works and what doesnt. It did what a beta is designed to do. Unfortunately for Sony, the gamepad on the Play came back and kicked them right where it hurts. Id rather have a gaming device that works than one that doesnt.

To put it simply: All PS3/Xbox/PC users. Imagine if Sony or Microsoft rolled out a new OS that looked nice BUT......Controllers/Keyboard and Mouse support didnt work. Sure, you have a nice looking OS but the chief reason for buying the machine is gone.

People in here need to calm the hell down. Its not, I repeat, NOT...Sonys fault

Just read an article yesterday saying the same thing, then there was a reply from a Sony Rep saying that Xperia PLAY is still on track for ICS, and that the reason for the missing Xperia PLAY from the list was due to a typo. I am trying to find the article now and will post the link here, but the Rep said that the PLAY was totally getting ICS. The Xperia Arc S and Neo have the same and or similar specs and that there was no reason that the PLAY would not get it.

This is not the article but still wanted to post. Read the last two posts, claiming that a VZ Rep told them that ICS was coming sometime in June/July to R800x....(I smell BullSh!t)
    I find GB on the Play to be 100% satisfactory and unless ICS can offer a significant functional and or performance benefit on my xPeria Play I will not be burdoning my device with it.

Different strokes for different folks I guess but I'm not convinced the latest is always the greatest ... Seems to be a plethora of individuals trying to convince Sony and every other manufacture that they "must have ICS" and if they don't get it then some great injustice has been dealt to them personally and may as well have been jabbed in the eye with a red hot poker ;)

P.S. Bad hair day :)
    No! Gameing works allmost fine on ICS Beta only GTA3 does not work they could ask Rockstar to fix it. Sony was definetly lazy.. Also they could give us what they actually have like a newer ICS beta if they dont want to make it official.
    Fact is the Xperia Play runs fine with ICS and it would give us so many possibilitys (n64oid/Joystick center). It makes touchpad input also better so maybe more games would be optimized. Acceptable performence is definetly possible aswell, look at htc one v wich runs very smooth due the new adreno drivers games can be smoother than on GB.
    Developers are there but they come and they go, i dont think we will ever have fully working AOSP based rom or a fully smooth beta based rom... time flys and no one buys the play anymore, devs are looking forward to get high end devices...

News flash, no one bought the Play to begin with. The phone was basically a flop, and although Sony mismanagement didn't help, there were more problems with ICS and games than just GTA III. As I mentioned above, if they released it broken tons of unaware people would update their phones, break half their games, and hate Sony immediately. They don't need any more bad will.

Aside from the fact the phone "just works" as is. Yes maybe not for the hacker community like us, but they need the main user experience to work, they can't cater to people like us.

To all the people jumping on the "f*** you Sony!" bandwagon

There is no point, at all, in getting angry about this. They rolled out the beta as a way for the community to test and give feedback on what works and what doesnt. It did what a beta is designed to do. Unfortunately for Sony, the gamepad on the Play came back and kicked them right where it hurts. Id rather have a gaming device that works than one that doesnt.

To put it simply: All PS3/Xbox/PC users. Imagine if Sony or Microsoft rolled out a new OS that looked nice BUT......Controllers/Keyboard and Mouse support didnt work. Sure, you have a nice looking OS but the chief reason for buying the machine is gone.

People in here need to calm the hell down. Its not, I repeat, NOT...Sonys fault

Exactly! Give this man a cigar!