[Q] Nexus 7 sensor coordinate system orientation? 90 degree offset like tablets?

Search This thread

zinfinion

Jul 9, 2012
Anyone who's had an Android tablet knows that a lot of poorly coded apps get flummoxed by the default 90 degree rotated, landscape orientation of the device.

Thus my question, is the sensor in the Nexus 7 rotated as well? Or is the default orientation set to portrait, the same as a phone?

Google "sensors-overview sensors-coords android" to find the relevant developer page. The specific orientation details are near the bottom: Sensor Coordinate System

"One Screen Turn Deserves Another" is an excellent article that explains the problem quite well.

If anyone who has a preview device could check to see what orientation the N7 uses, that'd be great. I'm hoping for portrait.

Last edited:
Reactions: moe6

moe6

May 28, 2011
Anyone who's had an Android tablet knows that a lot of poorly coded apps get flummoxed by the default 90 degree rotated, landscape orientation of the device.

Thus my question, is the sensor in the Nexus 7 rotated as well? Or is the default orientation set to portrait, the same as a phone?

Google "sensors-overview sensors-coords android" to find the relevant developer page. The specific orientation details are near the bottom: Sensor Coordinate System

"One Screen Turn Deserves Another" is an excellent article that explains the problem quite well.

If anyone who has a preview device could check to see what orientation the N7 uses, that'd be great. I'm hoping for portrait.

I'd assume it would be rotated since they're very intent on educating users on using a 7" tablet in portrait like a book.

Reactions: zinfinion

DarkRyoushii

Jan 23, 2011
Melbourne
Yea I'm gonna say that it's probably not in landscape since the whole UI is portrait based. Seems a bit counter productive to have to rotate the device every time you launch an app.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using xda-developers app

zinfinion

Jul 9, 2012
Yea I'm gonna say that it's probably not in landscape since the whole UI is portrait based. Seems a bit counter productive to have to rotate the device every time you launch an app.

I'm fairly confident the sensors will be in portrait orientation by default, but confirmation would be nice.

The reason I ask is because my current Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 has the 90 degree offset sensor issue. 99% of the time it's fine. It boots up in portrait, apps launch in portrait (unless landscape only apps, which launch in landscape with no issues). Certain apps that are poorly coded and expect all devices to be portrait by default tend to do all sorts of odd things though. I've only run across a couple in the Play store, and one of those has been fixed.

The real problem lies with custom roms, as all of the ones I have tried default to the landscape sensor orientation (boot orientation when laid flat is landscape), rather than compensate for it (the stock Samsung rom is portrait by default when laid flat). This has led to all sorts of aggravating (and unintentionally hilarious) issues with the custom roms.

So hopefully Google thought this through and the N7 sensor orientation is portrait by default and basically acts like a large phone minus the phone bits.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I'd assume it would be rotated since they're very intent on educating users on using a 7" tablet in portrait like a book.