DIY docks & hacking docks tripping dock mode & AC charging mode

Search This thread

Fallon

Jan 23, 2007
Parker
Update: Desk dock resistor value found & additional connector sources found thanks to mikejr83

I went through all of this with my Captivate a year or 2 ago, and figured it might be nice for Galaxy S 3 owners as well. You can see the history at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=12169590

Dock mode

Samsung phones will trip their dock mode when they sense a resistor of a particular value between the ID (pin 4) & Ground (pin 5) pins on the micro USB connector

• Car mode - 619k ohm (Validate on my Galaxy S 1 & Galaxy S 3)
  • Desk mode - 365k ohm (confirmed finally thanks to mikejr83 cracking open the SGS3 dock his wife got him. 1k ohm for SGS1 & 1k or 365k for the SGS2)

Parts

• The only appropriate solution I was able to find (a year or 2 ago messing with my old Captivate) was a USB MicroB Plug Breakout Board which was pretty decent at $4 + shipping.
  • mikejr83 found some slightly different micro USB connectors at Digi-Key ($0.66 each + reasonable shipping, $2 is the minimum Digi-Key order) and on E-bay (10 for $4 + $1 shipping) as well.
  • The Zenis SGS2 dock fits the SGS3 reasonably well & runs about $10 on Ebay (free shipping, but it takes about 2 weeks to come over from asia), It does not trip dock mode & just has micro USB passthrough connectors. According to this XDA thread it's easy to pull appart & looks to be very hackable.
  • Chopping up a micro USB connector will not work, they only have 4 wires & the pin #4 you need access to is buried inside the connector at the end so far you have to destroy the whole connector to get to it
  • I have a roll of maybe a couple hundred 619k resistors I picked up from a local electronics recycler in my Captivate days. I might start packaging em up and selling them off after I get back from DEFcon if anybody is interested & having a hard time finding them.

Dongle_with_resistor.jpg

For just dock mode & no other usefulness (like actually charging), you can see what doing a poor job of jamming the resistor in there on the Spark Fun breakout board for testing gets us (photo of my old Galaxy S1 because I'm to lazy to get dig it up and transfer the photos if I take any of my Galaxy S 3 showing the same thing).

In_Car_mode.jpg

AC charging

In order to get "AC charging" which goes up to 750ma instead of "USB charging" which only goes up to 500ma, you merely need to short out the 2 data pins (pin 2/white & pin 3/green) on a normal USB cable. Most people find it easy to short them (the center 2) on the big flat rectangular end (Type A) of a normal USB cable. Given my approach with the breakout board I just soldered a jumper across the 2 data pins on the board.

For my first (and only properly documented) dock build I used Friendly Plastic. Technically called Polycaprolactone it's really easy to work with and melts at around 60 degrees Celsius (140 F), also known as almost the temperature of the dash of my grey truck on a 70-80 degree day.... Oops. It would make a good desk dock, but not a car dock.

Commercial docks & potential mods for them

Given the dirt cheap Infuse dock I picked up I probably won't be working on another car dock unless I decide to put a case on my phone making it not fit in the dock. I have some oven bake modeling clay I'll probably try for that.

At $10-15 it's hard to beat the Zenis dock. On the 2nd page somebody cracked it open and the micro-USB plug looks very similar to the SparkFun one. I don't believe it trips any dock mode, but soldering in the appropriate resistor would be pretty easy. I hope to find the value to trip Desk or Media center dock mode & use Tasker to turn off E-mail and other non-essential noise during the night so as to not roust the wife.

Further information needed

If anybody has any more resistor values for various dock modes or other information to add, let me know.

Last edited:

KeithLM

Oct 5, 2009
Can you do both car mode and AC mode at the same time? And any idea if that would be a bad idea off a USB port that's built into a car?

Fallon

Jan 23, 2007
Parker
Can you do both car mode and AC mode at the same time? And any idea if that would be a bad idea off a USB port that's built into a car?

Standard USB is rated up to 500ma.
AC mode is rated up to 750ma.

You need to make sure your power supply is rated to at least 750ma to safely trigger AC mode. You will have to check with the manufacturers specs on what that USB port is rated for. You can trigger AC mode and any of the dock modes at the same time (verified on my old SGS1 Captivate and I'm 99% sure the SGS3 is the same), they don't use the same pins.

If you are plugging into anything that actually expects data (USB port on a stereo as opposed to just a USB charger) I would disconnect the data (center 2) pins from that end, leave them shorted at the phone end.

KeithLM

Oct 5, 2009
Thanks for the info. My car reportedly has an extra USB port behind the dash I was hoping to use, but I can't locate it. So I might have to resort to using a power adapter. If I do that I'll use the 2.1A model from monoprice.com. So I'll use the power option based on which port I end up using.

mikejr83

Dec 10, 2010
Let me make sure I'm getting this straight: Using the two values for resistance you have you were only able to get the S3 to trigger into car dock mode, correct? There could possibly be another value which triggers desk dock mode.

My thought would be to get a rheostat and chop up a micro USB cable and adjust the level of resistance till the effect was achieved. Obviously I may have to get more than just a rheostat to achieve the correct range of resistance to try, but eh...

Once I figured out the resistance level I could then make a "desktop dock cable" by placing the resister inline in the micro USB cable. That would be a great solution for me. Thoughts?

Fallon

Jan 23, 2007
Parker
Let me make sure I'm getting this straight: Using the two values for resistance you have you were only able to get the S3 to trigger into car dock mode, correct? There could possibly be another value which triggers desk dock mode.

My thought would be to get a rheostat and chop up a micro USB cable and adjust the level of resistance till the effect was achieved. Obviously I may have to get more than just a rheostat to achieve the correct range of resistance to try, but eh...

Once I figured out the resistance level I could then make a "desktop dock cable" by placing the resister inline in the micro USB cable. That would be a great solution for me. Thoughts?

The SGS1 resistor value for car dock worked on the SGS3, no luck with the desk dock resistor.

Resistors are used in that location for non dock stuff too... Jigs to trigger bootloader and recovery mode, etc. I wouldn't try the rhestotat thing personally. Previous values were found in Samsung or the CPU vendors documentation somewhere. I'd start there or use an OHM meter on a dock we know trips desk or media mode.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

mikejr83

Dec 10, 2010
Resistors are used in that location for non dock stuff too... Jigs to trigger bootloader and recovery mode, etc. I wouldn't try the rhestotat thing personally.

Thanks for the heads up! :good: I got out my breadboard last night. Had a bit of down time at work and was just getting ready to call a few RadioShacks around town to see if they had some pots in stock (didn't expect them to, but they list a few on their website) so I could hack up a cable this weekend.

One question though, if I had the phone powered on and was to start with a linear taper pot and go from 0 to say 1M ohms (found one that would cover the entire range without me having to add resisters in there) I could possibly trip the phone into bootloader or recovery mode?

It would seem to me that in essence what I would be "doing" is plugging in various USB cables which had a different resistance in that location. It seem odd to be able to take a powered on (even screen unlocked) phone and have it just dump to recovery or bootloader with the plugging in of a cable (assuming that I had the real version of the cable/dock/jig).

That said, I'm glad you gave me a heads up as I might want to do a bit more research on this before I just sit around with my multimeter and a pot going through various resistances just to see what happens. I suppose what "happens" might be something I really, really do not want! Or, maybe I end up finding a way to unlock a VZW phone by accident! Yea, like that'd ever happen! :D

EDIT:
This new phone has me not writing code and doing more searching around the internets for information! :) I found this post http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20710266&postcount=14 The poster shows that they use a 365k resistor for car dock. Preceeding posts indicate this was for a S2. I still have to go through my resistor "collection" to see what I have sitting around. I may still hack up a cable this weekend.

Last edited:

mikejr83

Dec 10, 2010
Ok. So I got a pot and was setting up a test bed when I cut the end of a mini USB cable. I realized it only has 4 pins. My thought was to use one of the dozens of mini USB cables instead of my limited amount of micro ones for my first tests. Basically I was going to take the A side and plug it into the charger to power my breadboard.

When I saw that there were only 4 pins on the mini B side and hence four wires inside the shielding it got me thinking about the micro B end. Both the micro's and mini's A side have 4 pins. If the micro B side has 5 pins where does that 5th id pin go? Does a micro cable have 5 conductors the length of the wire which the id conductor terminates to ground at the A side?

Now I'm confused on how the accessories are manufactured so as to make the phone go from USB charge mode to A/C mode. I'd really like to sit around now that I have this pot to test various resistances in order to see the outcome. Quick Googling hasn't found any negative side effects (yet...).

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

Fallon

Jan 23, 2007
Parker
Micro USB has 5 pins with the new 5th pin only existing on one end to use as an ID pin for what end of the cable it is. Makes it easy for the resistors that Samsung uses to trip the various modes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

KeithLM

Oct 5, 2009
I was just looking into what all the pins do because I planned to make a small board with A and B connectors and wire the resistor in there. Now I see that's pointless. I figured the shielding on other connectors was equivalent to the 5th pin.

I'm going to have to strip down a micro USB cable and see what I find in there.

Fallon

Jan 23, 2007
Parker
I'd recommend looking at that breakout board from Spark Fun I linked up top.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

KeithLM

Oct 5, 2009
I've stripped down a micro-USB connector on one of my monoprice.com cables. I've found that the pin is there on the backside of the connector and just not connected to anything. Unfortunately I did too much damage in the process to try and reuse it. I think if I can strip another and be more careful I can expose just the one pin I need, then expose some of the wiring further from the connector and very carefully slice open the ground and connect the two with the resistor. It's also possible the shielding is connected to ground, so I might be able to attach it directly to that. Unfortunately my voltmeter is out of commission so I can't check that at the moment.

mikejr83

Dec 10, 2010
I've stripped down a micro-USB connector on one of my monoprice.com cables. I've found that the pin is there on the backside of the connector and just not connected to anything. Unfortunately I did too much damage in the process to try and reuse it. I think if I can strip another and be more careful I can expose just the one pin I need, then expose some of the wiring further from the connector and very carefully slice open the ground and connect the two with the resistor. It's also possible the shielding is connected to ground, so I might be able to attach it directly to that. Unfortunately my voltmeter is out of commission so I can't check that at the moment.

Ok. To clarify, the ID pin doesn't have a wire/conductor that runs the length of the wire?

KeithLM

Oct 5, 2009
Ok. To clarify, the ID pin doesn't have a wire/conductor that runs the length of the wire?

Definitely not in the cable I pulled apart. I've looked around for a micro-USB extension cable, but haven't found one so far. Potentially such a cable would have the fifth wire.

mikejr83

Dec 10, 2010
Straight from the land of the rising sun! Straight from China! http://www.ebay.com/itm/10Pcs-USB-T...ltDomain_0&hash=item20c49dfc46#ht_2925wt_1163

DIY Micro 5pin male USB connector! $4 for 10 of them. I just ordered a set. Once I get these it should be easy to build a test connector that will run through my pot so we can try different resistances.

This is what I was hoping of finding. I wanted to take a 1.5-3ft USB cable and put an end on it that would put the phone into desk dock mode. That way I could connect the cable to my keyboard and set my phone in a cradle that I previously purchased.

EDIT:
Shipping is a $1. Total paypal amount was $4.99

EDIT 2:
I'm a tard. Also got shipping confirmation. Could take up to 30 days :(. Hopefully it's on the shorter side of their estimate of 7 days. I guess that gives me some time to put together a monoprice order for some cables.

Last edited:

zanzee

Apr 2, 2006
Straight from the land of the rising sun! http://www.ebay.com/itm/10Pcs-USB-T...ltDomain_0&hash=item20c49dfc46#ht_2925wt_1163

DIY Micro 5pin male USB connector! $4 for 10 of them. I just ordered a set. Once I get these it should be easy to build a test connector that will run through my pot so we can try different resistances.

This is what I was hoping of finding. I wanted to take a 1.5-3ft USB cable and put an end on it that would put the phone into desk dock mode. That way I could connect the cable to my keyboard and set my phone in a cradle that I previously purchased.

EDIT:
Shipping is a $1. Total paypal amount was $4.99

Japan is the land of rising sun but otherwise great find

Fallon

Jan 23, 2007
Parker
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus#section_4

USB 1.x/2.0 Mini/Micro pinout
Pin Name Cable color Description
1 VBUS Red +5 V
2 D− White Data −
3 D+ Green Data +
4 ID None Permits distinction of host connection from slave connection
* host: connected to Signal ground
* slave: not connected
5 GND Black Signal ground

So definitely only 4 wires in a standards compliant cable, not 5. Pin gets left free or shorted directly to ground (or shorted via a resistor in Samsung's case for dock mode)

Nice find on the cheap micro USB connectors.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

mikejr83

Dec 10, 2010
Now that I'm at work and doing nothing really important I've had time to dig through digikey for a similar part. I just don't think I can wait that long to get those other pieces!

The only thing I've been able to find that is close is this:
http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dksearch/dksus.dll?lang=en&mpart=10104109-0001LF&vendor=609&cur=USD

I ordered 3 and had them shipped USPS First Class. That will give me something to test with hopefully by the end of the week.

BTW, it's been such a long time since I ordered anything from digikey that I didn't realize they dropped their minimum order size requirement. It's awesome that they'll ship a $2 order!

Araltd

Jan 30, 2010
USA
Check GPS USB cables... they have all 5 leads

The USB extension cable is common for GPS units. My car radio has garmin built in, and when I added the fm traffic antenna, I needed a Mini USB (not micro) cable and quickly found out that "standard" off the shelf cables only have 4 wires, when the mini and micro usb ends actually have a 5th pin, but it either gnd or n/a at all - the standard extension cables off the shelf are extremely cheap, but useless for an application where the 5th pin is needed. BUT when I search for a GPS cable, it has all 5 pins. Its also about 5x more expension - When I bought mine it was like $25 or something online, but I can't remember where... it was from a GPS outlet place I found online. Just posting my limited experience for those to consider, and maybe prices have changed since then?

GOOD LUCK

(btw: I love this thread, I love building stuff too....)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update: Desk dock resistor value found & additional connector sources found thanks to mikejr83

I went through all of this with my Captivate a year or 2 ago, and figured it might be nice for Galaxy S 3 owners as well. You can see the history at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=12169590

Dock mode

Samsung phones will trip their dock mode when they sense a resistor of a particular value between the ID (pin 4) & Ground (pin 5) pins on the micro USB connector

• Car mode - 619k ohm (Validate on my Galaxy S 1 & Galaxy S 3)
    • Desk mode - 365k ohm (confirmed finally thanks to mikejr83 cracking open the SGS3 dock his wife got him. 1k ohm for SGS1 & 1k or 365k for the SGS2)

Parts

• The only appropriate solution I was able to find (a year or 2 ago messing with my old Captivate) was a USB MicroB Plug Breakout Board which was pretty decent at $4 + shipping.
    • mikejr83 found some slightly different micro USB connectors at Digi-Key ($0.66 each + reasonable shipping, $2 is the minimum Digi-Key order) and on E-bay (10 for $4 + $1 shipping) as well.
    • The Zenis SGS2 dock fits the SGS3 reasonably well & runs about $10 on Ebay (free shipping, but it takes about 2 weeks to come over from asia), It does not trip dock mode & just has micro USB passthrough connectors. According to this XDA thread it's easy to pull appart & looks to be very hackable.
    • Chopping up a micro USB connector will not work, they only have 4 wires & the pin #4 you need access to is buried inside the connector at the end so far you have to destroy the whole connector to get to it
    • I have a roll of maybe a couple hundred 619k resistors I picked up from a local electronics recycler in my Captivate days. I might start packaging em up and selling them off after I get back from DEFcon if anybody is interested & having a hard time finding them.

Dongle_with_resistor.jpg

For just dock mode & no other usefulness (like actually charging), you can see what doing a poor job of jamming the resistor in there on the Spark Fun breakout board for testing gets us (photo of my old Galaxy S1 because I'm to lazy to get dig it up and transfer the photos if I take any of my Galaxy S 3 showing the same thing).

In_Car_mode.jpg

AC charging

In order to get "AC charging" which goes up to 750ma instead of "USB charging" which only goes up to 500ma, you merely need to short out the 2 data pins (pin 2/white & pin 3/green) on a normal USB cable. Most people find it easy to short them (the center 2) on the big flat rectangular end (Type A) of a normal USB cable. Given my approach with the breakout board I just soldered a jumper across the 2 data pins on the board.

For my first (and only properly documented) dock build I used Friendly Plastic. Technically called Polycaprolactone it's really easy to work with and melts at around 60 degrees Celsius (140 F), also known as almost the temperature of the dash of my grey truck on a 70-80 degree day.... Oops. It would make a good desk dock, but not a car dock.

Commercial docks & potential mods for them

Given the dirt cheap Infuse dock I picked up I probably won't be working on another car dock unless I decide to put a case on my phone making it not fit in the dock. I have some oven bake modeling clay I'll probably try for that.

At $10-15 it's hard to beat the Zenis dock. On the 2nd page somebody cracked it open and the micro-USB plug looks very similar to the SparkFun one. I don't believe it trips any dock mode, but soldering in the appropriate resistor would be pretty easy. I hope to find the value to trip Desk or Media center dock mode & use Tasker to turn off E-mail and other non-essential noise during the night so as to not roust the wife.

Further information needed

If anybody has any more resistor values for various dock modes or other information to add, let me know.
    Does either of these dock modes enable landscape mode for the main interface? I can only get landscape mode when using an MHL cable with my tv - but if a custom cable could enable it, I'd be eager to buy and/or mod one myself.

They should... I don't have a desk dock, but my Infuse car dock does put the phone into car dock mode, after which the phone allows home and lock screens into landscape. I think that as long as it has the correct value to set the dock mode, the phone will allow landscape mode....

---------- Post added at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

mikejr83
    Hopefully this helps:

I took apart a cable and connector i had on my desk and did a continuity check (I have leads for my Fluke with really small pointy ends for circuit boards).
    USBMicropinouts.jpg

Here is a screen shot from my SG3 of my ElectroDroid app (Awesome app BTW)
    Screenshot_2012-08-21-14-48-50.png
    Tear-Down of Samsung Multimedia Dock

Ok, here's a complete tear down of the Samsung Multimedia dock. I don't have a picture of the box, but it says that it's universal for "Galaxy S". However, this is the dock that is listed on Samsung's site for the S3.

Things to note: This dock is just a very sophisticated version of the charge/dock/audio out cables that have been linked in this and other threads. It looks like there may be a few capacitors (C1-C4) on the board. This may be fore the audio out. I'm not really sure. There is no marking on what value they are.

Images of the tear down; if you can't see them click on the link below the image and it should link you to the picasa web album.

Taking apart the dock:
    20120718_163731.jpg

Link
    This thing sucked getting apart. The rubber mat is held on by sticky and is pressed up into the sides of the dock. I just pealed back the the edges at first but after realizing there were more screws than four at the corners I took the whole thing off. It goes back on pretty easily and you shouldn't need any extra glue to make it stay once you've re-press the sides Take out all those screws. Then you have to carefully work a flat head around the sides so you can pop the tabs on the inside.

Dock apart:
    20120718_163705.jpg

Link

Close up of board in the dock:
    20120718_163833.jpg

Link
    Getting those four screws out is a PITA!!!. I stripped one and had to work it out with a T6 bit! IDK why they're in there so tight.

Just board:
    20120718_170439.jpg

Link

So here's what I can't figure out. I've put a trace on the outside shielding of the plug that goes into the phone and the ID pin (nicely labeled on the PCB) and get no resistance value or continuity. I see only one R1 on the entire PCB but I can't seem to figure out where to read it's value.

Suggestions welcome!

EDIT!
    FIGURED IT OUT! Goes to show you that after having a half a pint of a Belgium dubel things in the ol' noggin' start working better!

Looks like I'm reading 369.3K Ohm. 5% tolerance should put that between 350k - 365k (I think). I'm going with 365k as a starting point. Will start a new post once I've soldiered onto the my plugs that arrived today!
    Ok this is going to sound stupid but here goes.... What is the advantage of having the phone go in to dock mode or car mode?

I added the touchstone wireless charging mod to mine, and have played with turning on driving mode (says driving not car) from the notification pull down menu, and I see no difference between driving mode and not driving mode.

I'm sure this is user error (my fault) but I have no clue. Any advice would be appreciated

T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-T999 Tapatalk 2
    I found a site today (which I now cannot find but I shall look in my browser history on my work computer on Monday) where someone had tried this with an S4 and it did work.

Apparently, the S4 doesn't have a car dock mode (which is triggered by the 619K resistor) but does have a desk dock mode for which the resistor value is 365K. I have managed to find resistors adding up to this value so I'm going to try it tonight and I shall report back.