Recommend apps/tweaks/ROMS/etc to improve the Nexus 7 experience

Search This thread

weezlerox

Sep 30, 2009
Had an explore and play, figured out the xposed framework and installed a couple of menus, very impressed with the results but also made me realise just how dumb I am lol

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So it would be cool if everyone recommended cool stuff for the Nexus 7 that you think improves the overall experience of that it's a must have. Let's try to take full advantage of everything this tablet and Android has to offer.

Recommend apps/tweaks/ROMS and anything you think will make this tablet even better than it is. And don't forget to mention what is you're recommending.

My list:

- A custom kernel that allows double tap to wake on the screen. It's awesome and works every time. ElementalX has this.

- Plex app if you own a NAS that works as a media hub. The latest version of the app is just awesome.

- Rebooter app and screen off app. Thanks to this and the previous kernel I don't need to use the power button never again. You need to be rooted for rebooter to work.

- Auto hide screen buttons app. You need to be rooted.

- AdBlock Plus app. You need to be rooted.

- Emulators apps for old games. There's a new one called reicast for dreamcast games!

- Any battery app that can display percentage on the top bar.

That's it for now. Let's see your recommendations.
    So, which app does everyone recommend for displaying percentage in the status bar? I have a battery display on my homescreen using Beautiful Widgets

Gravitybox
    So this is an added feature of gravitybox? I must admit I was not greatly interested in the app itself, presumably it still needs to sit in the background all the while I want to see the battery percentage in the status bar?

Any other suggestions? I know I can wade through Play Store and find *something* but you cannot beat a personal recommendation can you?

What do you mean is it an added feature? It's one minor option among loads of options within lots of menus. Just look through every menu and turn on/off things as you like, from beginning to end, and then you won't be confused about features.

GravityBox is an amazing module and I've noticed no difference in battery life since installing it. It's always quietly running in the background from the moment you boot (just like many stock/core system apps) and adds a plethora of options and extra features. Many people, including myself, stopped using custom roms like ParanoidAndroid and Cyanogenmod and OAKP just because GravityBox has most of their features and is easy to install/use on nearly anything.
    I don't like having battery percentage in the statusbar because then I'm always like "OMG I've only got 30%left, gotta charge" and that eventually makes me look for a charger more often

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

That is so true. The less you know, the best. For me an approximate display of the charge remaining is enough.