[TIP] Backup/Restore user apps and data from old phone (without needing root)

Search This thread

tombriden

Inactive Recognized Developer
If, like me, you're moving over to the One X from another ICS phone but don't want to root until it doesn't require htcdev.com, you can still backup/restore all your user apps and data from your old device to the One X without Titanium (which needs root) or MyBackup Pro (which costs money).

Firstly, you'll need to install the android sdk to get adb (Edit: And HTC Sync for the drivers). Once you have that, open a command prompt and cd to the adb folder, eg

Code:
cd c:\android-sdk\platform-tools

Then run the following command

Code:
adb backup -apk -all -nosystem -f c:\backup.ab
(where -all is every app, -apk means to also include the apks and -nosystem ignores the system apps and data)

You'll need to confirm the backup on the device itself for it to start and, optionally, set an encryption password for the backup.

Once it's finished, plug the One X in, enable 'USB Debugging' in Settings -> Developer Options and then run

Code:
adb restore c:\backup.ab

...then, on the One X, enter your encryption password (if specified during backup) and confirm. Once it's finished, all the apps and data from your old phone will now be restored on the One X :)

Note: this feature of adb only works on ICS so you can't backup from previous android versions (although i haven't actually tried).

If the backup option doesn't exist in your adb, make sure you have the latest Android SDK

Last edited:

theliquid

Jul 11, 2010
Vienna
This method really rocks! Will try it very soon :D
Thank you!

Btw. does it also backup the user-settings of the apps?

Last edited:

Goku80

Mar 18, 2012
Within the Matrix
If i can also add a tip here to all those who are flashing custom roms and want to revert back to stock so they can do their OTA updates.

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP your rom first before you start in the world of flashing custom roms. That way make sure you always have your BACKUP of stock and whenever you do update make sure you backup the updated rom. So if you are on 1.26 say BACKUP that rom and then flash whatever custom roms you want.

Then once your carrier releases a new update just simply return to the backup rom and follow the necessary steps to update the OTA. And then BACKUP that rom and then start again:)

So my tip. Always make sure you have a BACKUP.:)

casca

damn... should of seen this before doing the titanium backup and nandroid on my other phone... tks mate! good tip :)

do you happen to know if there is a way of restoring a titanium backup without root?
the apps are easy, the data is the problem...

stm2008

Jan 3, 2009
When I plug my HOX to my computer, my computer can't recognize it and it is shown as unknown device in device manager. I'm using latest android sdk but still can't update to the latest driver (no problem on my HD2), how can I solve it? Thx!

hetalmp

Sep 11, 2008
That's a brilliant tip, now I have to restore my desire with ICS, titanium restore and backup using this to move to one x. Can anyone else confirm this works without any issues.

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA

casca

That's a brilliant tip, now I have to restore my desire with ICS, titanium restore and backup using this to move to one x. Can anyone else confirm this works without any issues.

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA

my nexus S is in Africa at the moment...so no luck with that procedure for me lol :(

without root I'm f*cked up, only have titanium backup and I'm not willing to kill my warranty with htcdev.

canna666

Jul 15, 2011
I'm having same issue installed latest SDK and updated platform tools pc doesn't recognize my hox when opening cmd it's the same type dab devices unknown command help please

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

omar302

Feb 15, 2006
Doha
HTC 10
OnePlus 7 Pro
I think this should sticky for long while! never knew that this existed.

One question though, when Backing up "system" apps with the "-apk" argument, will system apks also be backed up? Also when restoring system data (and apks if backed up), will the system allow writing without root permissions? If yes, could this be used as an exploit for root access?

dmestriner

Dec 20, 2010
Hi, just a quick question, I want to try and factory reset my One X to see if battery life will get better. will this backup method also keep any program settings and/or progress in games? So that when you restore you don't have to configure anything and you are still where you left with games? (my instinct says no because I only see apk's getting backed up, but I could be wrong!)

tombriden

Inactive Recognized Developer
damn... should of seen this before doing the titanium backup and nandroid on my other phone... tks mate! good tip :)

do you happen to know if there is a way of restoring a titanium backup without root?

Not possible i'm afraid, which is why I went with this method! :)

When I plug my HOX to my computer, my computer can't recognize it and it is shown as unknown device in device manager. I'm using latest android sdk but still can't update to the latest driver (no problem on my HD2), how can I solve it? Thx!

I'm having same issue installed latest SDK and updated platform tools pc doesn't recognize my hox when opening cmd it's the same type dab devices unknown command help please

Do you have HTC Sync? You need to run through its installer past getting the drivers installed. Then, you can cancel out and adb should work

One question though, when Backing up "system" apps with the "-apk" argument, will system apks also be backed up? Also when restoring system data (and apks if backed up), will the system allow writing without root permissions? If yes, could this be used as an exploit for root access?

I think they'll be backed up but without root permissions they probably won't restore. (The data should if the app is already installed though).

Hi, just a quick question, I want to try and factory reset my One X to see if battery life will get better. will this backup method also keep any program settings and/or progress in games? So that when you restore you don't have to configure anything and you are still where you left with games? (my instinct says no because I only see apk's getting backed up, but I could be wrong!)

Yep, all user data will get restored. The apk option just makes sure the apks are included, as the default is to just backup data.

wintermute000

Jul 13, 2010
THis works for me on my home PC but not on work laptop.

I have HTC sync installed and android usb driver from google sdk

adb works (well adb devices returns the ID) and the backup kicks off, i get to put in a password etc. but on clicking ok it just hangs at the first apk

anyone seen this?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If, like me, you're moving over to the One X from another ICS phone but don't want to root until it doesn't require htcdev.com, you can still backup/restore all your user apps and data from your old device to the One X without Titanium (which needs root) or MyBackup Pro (which costs money).

Firstly, you'll need to install the android sdk to get adb (Edit: And HTC Sync for the drivers). Once you have that, open a command prompt and cd to the adb folder, eg

Code:
    cd c:\android-sdk\platform-tools

Then run the following command

Code:
    adb backup -apk -all -nosystem -f c:\backup.ab
    (where -all is every app, -apk means to also include the apks and -nosystem ignores the system apps and data)

You'll need to confirm the backup on the device itself for it to start and, optionally, set an encryption password for the backup.

Once it's finished, plug the One X in, enable 'USB Debugging' in Settings -> Developer Options and then run

Code:
    adb restore c:\backup.ab

...then, on the One X, enter your encryption password (if specified during backup) and confirm. Once it's finished, all the apps and data from your old phone will now be restored on the One X :)

Note: this feature of adb only works on ICS so you can't backup from previous android versions (although i haven't actually tried).

If the backup option doesn't exist in your adb, make sure you have the latest Android SDK
    Can i sue this method to back up my device Non-root and then restore to a custom Rom like ARHD??

Thanks!

No, I think the idea is that you would use this method to back up your un rooted phone, then you would Unlock the bootloader via HTC Developers, then Install a custom RECOVERY, then you would RESTORE this backup.ab. then you would make a NANDROID back up of your "Stock ROM".

Finally you would then use TITANIUM BACKUP to make a full apps and App data back up.

Now you can install ARHD following the OP post instructions, then you can use TITANIUM BACKUP to RESTORE apps and data settings BUT NOT any system files as these will be from your STOCK ROM.

P.S. Do not forget to copy both the Super wipe and the 7.0.0 ARHD ROM zip files to your memory card before you do the Super wipe!
    If i can also add a tip here to all those who are flashing custom roms and want to revert back to stock so they can do their OTA updates.

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP your rom first before you start in the world of flashing custom roms. That way make sure you always have your BACKUP of stock and whenever you do update make sure you backup the updated rom. So if you are on 1.26 say BACKUP that rom and then flash whatever custom roms you want.

Then once your carrier releases a new update just simply return to the backup rom and follow the necessary steps to update the OTA. And then BACKUP that rom and then start again:)

So my tip. Always make sure you have a BACKUP.:)

Not possible i'm afraid, which is why I went with this method! :)

Do you have HTC Sync? You need to run through its installer past getting the drivers installed. Then, you can cancel out and adb should work

I think they'll be backed up but without root permissions they probably won't restore. (The data should if the app is already installed though).

Yep, all user data will get restored. The apk option just makes sure the apks are included, as the default is to just backup data.
    I've used this method and I'm not entirely sure but I think I had to use titanium backup to restore the wifi access points.
    In resume, 99% sure it doesn't.