Kogan Agora Tablet (TCC8803 based)

Search This thread

Raskern

Apr 7, 2008
Brisbane
D703.v2.3.3-Build.20120206

Hi,

I also went the way of flipside101 and it did flash OK, once I figured out the instructions supplied were lacking a critical step.

If you find yourself attempting this remember to add the m801_mtds to the flash process.

I will update with results once I have a play.

I can report thought that for me it is an enormous success. I can play angry birds and movies!
The purpose of this TAB is for my 4 year old son's travelling companion on long trips/flights.
It is essential to play low res movies and play angry birds or similar.

Tablet was 7" Kogan Agora (4GB) for $99.
Model KATBL07AND
Android version was 2.3.3
Kernel was 2.6.35.7

now it thinks it is M778 Tablet PC

1. I have read the install instructions over from the DX site, do I need the VTC USB driver installed as per step one? I am guessing yes but just wanted to confirm it.
not sure android sdk may do this if you have it but i installed anyway
2. At about the end of page 5 it says vaguely to load the rom at this stage, I am guessing this is just adding the file, along with the other files that have been added/created at this stage, within the the firmware update util?
yes add m801_mtds to the flash, you'll need to click dropdown box for all file types...
3. I have CWM4 installed at present from androtab, given this process is flashing and partitioning the whole device I guess this will wipe the lot. Can CWM5 from androtab.info be put back on? I wasn't sure if it was specific to the device and the OS running or not.
cwm5 from start of this or one of other threads flashes fine them use cwm to flash su
4. I see sam.crowther mentions changing part of the configuration to ensure the device still knows its a Kogan for Android Market/Play but having no previous Android OS experience I am wondering if the change in build.prob was after the system was installed and just edited or if it is something that needed changed in the .rom?
changed on the rom, not too big of an issue, you just end up with lots of devices in market that you dont have/use...

Reactions: sliddder

sliddder

May 12, 2012
Went ahead and flashed my Kogan.

Took a little more than 10 minutes for me but back up and running with new firmware/CWM5 and super user installed.

Didn't attempt the change of device name so it thinks it is a M778 but at least it is all working so far.

Have had it sitting next to me in standby for the last 30 minutes and no screen flashes or odd power ups. Looks like the font sizes are slightly smaller by default which for my old man eyes is making me strain a bit.

Other wise pretty painless with my only minor gripe being the new boot logo looking even worse than the Kogan one.

Cheers for all the advice.

flipside101

Feb 1, 2006
OnePlus 5
Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e
Hi all , good to know the roms helped some people its made my tab much more usefull and thanks to sam for doing the proper explaining and helping with that dx rom.

@slidder yeah the logo is horrible buyt it should be easy enough to change , ill have a play when i get a few secs spare

sliddder

May 12, 2012
Might have spoken to soon. My screen auto rotation does not appear to be working. It is ticked in display. Again this is only a minor thing as I tend to use my tablet in landscape but it might be worth looking out for.

Any thoughts on why it might not want to auto rotate?

Edit: Forgot to mention that I left my device on while I was at work, 8 hours later it still has half a battery so what ever was done to fix the screen issues looks to have extended the battery a lot

Last edited:

robbwallace

Oct 31, 2009
Hello

I would first off like to say thanks you :) To all on this thread you made my ****ty 8" Kogan Agora into a nice wee tablet.

Thanks you

Installed Pc drivers from 1st post.
Rooted with super 1 click
Spent £2 and installed lcd density pro and used its Google play fix feature.
Using Es file manager deleted the phone APKs (still wakes, I solved this by using a toggle widget for flight mode, fling it into flightmode every time i whack the screen off)
Installed Go launcher and changed the theme, look etc.

All in all a nice wee tablet :)

Cheers again to all and to the main folks that have helped , many thanks.

Robb

ps - Kogans official support is completely pash !!

**** NOt solved still wakes but less frequent ! .lol

Last edited:
Reactions: ham15h

sliddder

May 12, 2012
Rotation solved. Not sure if it is because I had it on USB for a bit or the multiple restarts I have done lately but screen is correctly rotating.

Cheers again for all the help, amazing what a difference it makes to the device.

robbwallace

Oct 31, 2009
I have a kogan 8" .
Rooting with super one click- super easy
and the lcd density app to get full market .
tab is pretty decent now .

more info in my post above.

Reactions: bobmarsh72

DeadlyCords

Jul 31, 2011
Melbourne
Hi there,
My friend just got an 8" Agora Tablet, and for some reason when saving update.zip onto internal SD card, it doesn't show up in recovery when i press install update from internal sd card... Why is this so?

bobmarsh72

Apr 16, 2010
Cardiff
I have a kogan 8" .
Rooting with super one click- super easy
and the lcd density app to get full market .
tab is pretty decent now .

more info in my post above.

I cant believe i searched and searched to see if this worked on 8", and your post was sitting right above my question. Thanks for clarifying!!

Also have you managed to install cm7? and if so did you need to use fastboot to boot into recovery?

Also does any1 know what i would need to type to push the reovery.img plus other files using fastboot for cwm.

Thanks

Last edited:

bobmarsh72

Apr 16, 2010
Cardiff
I have tried all combinations trying to boot into recovery on my 8inch tablet but without a physical back key it doesn't seem possible, the 8inch only has soft keys.

Any help is appreciated.

Iv managed to get mine into recovery. I had to root first, so without a back up!! but luckily all went fine.

Then I downloaded Terminal Emulator and typed

su

reboot recovery

and then the tablet reboots into recovery. Now I have CWM installed, Iv downloaded Rom Manager which has an option to reboot into recovery.

The new 8 and 10 inch tabs have less physical buttons so using CWM is near impossible, using Rom manager has made it so much easier!

robbwallace

Oct 31, 2009
Hey man
I never backed anything up.lol
I just went for it , with the rom thats on it !
No back up, No CWM, no CM7.

Just the stock , rooted, with full market and Go launcher ontop.
Everything is pretty sweet. I can read books, check Facebook and surf the web, that was all I required.

Again thanks for intial drivers and the hard work of others taht made this tablet , more than a paper weight . hahah

Xtacy

Apr 30, 2007
Need link Please

will they have the ics firmware available?
i know ics will come to the em73 soon...

Can I have the link on that site .. Look up down every where to find it but no hope come back here maybe the short cut is ask someone for the link
Thanks
PS I have 7" Kogan tablet but donr know what Rom or firm ware to download

flipside101

Feb 1, 2006
OnePlus 5
Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e
Can I have the link on that site .. Look up down every where to find it but no hope come back here maybe the short cut is ask someone for the link
Thanks
PS I have 7" Kogan tablet but donr know what Rom or firm ware to download

Link to what, there is no link to an ice build its only mentioned as being looked at on the DC site listed in the Link below

Hi All

i found this site http://www.dxtreme.com.au/forum/viewforum.php?f=15 whilst searching if anyone had been working on a EM73 setup and it looked compatible AND there was a 2012 build of the telechips firmware.

Anyway i dl'd it used the fwdn tool from the site to install and after some tense waiting it rebooted and is working well

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

defroster

Sep 11, 2003
I bought one of these to use as a media player in my car, is there any point waiting a few weeks for ICS before I install it into the dash or do you think ICS will never come to it?

---------- Post added at 09:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 AM ----------

Seconded the need to get a new logo :)

behzado

Apr 30, 2012
CM7 on Kogan Agora 8

Hi all. Has anyone managed to install CM7 on Kogan Agora 8? I did and the touch screen stopped working and had to restore the original rom. I am trying to find out if I did anything wrong. If yes which recovery and which CM7 did you use?
Even if you have a Kogan Agora 10 and have successfully managed to install and get CM7 screen working, can you let me know the file names and version (exact names in cm7 site).was it for resistice or capacitive and was it 4k or 8k.
Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a continuation of the generic TCC8803 thread at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1119778

IMPORTANT - THERE IS A SYSTEM APP CALLED FWTOOL. DO NOT USE IT TO FLASH FIRMWARE OR YOU MAY END UP BRICKING YOUR TOUCHSCREEN. ALSO DO NOT FLASH ANY VERSION OF lk.rom OR YOU WILL BRICK YOUR TABLET.

To install clockworkmod

Download EM73-8K-recovery-signed.zip below. Rename it to update.zip and copy it to the root of your SD card.
    With your tablet already turned off, press and hold down the Back button and then press the power on button while still holding down the Back button. This will open stock Recovery.
    Use the buttons on the top of your tablet to navigate your way through recovery and to select menu items (menu = down, back = returns to previous menu, home = selects option).
    Navigate to apply update.zip & follow the instructions. Reboot.
    To use clockworkmod just press and hold down the Back button while powering up your tablet. Navigate the menu via the buttons (menu = down, back = returns to previous menu, home = selects option).
    To make a Nandroid (clockworkmod) backup boot into clockworkmod recovery & navigate down to Backup then follow the instructions.

To root your tablet ** please see comment at end of post before continuing past this point

+++Make a full Nandroid (clockworkmod) backup before attempting this+++
    Download & unzip Superoneclick from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=803682 - NB you may need to turn off any antivirus program on your PC to allow downloading & use of Superoneclick.
    Download & unzip the relevant Drivers folder (32 or 64 bit) from link below then connect your (powered on) tablet to your PC & point Device Manager to your unzipped drivers folder when it is looking for drivers.
    Make sure USB debugging is allowed on your tablet (Settings -> Development -> USB debugging)
    Right-click on Superoneclick.exe, select Run as administrator then click on the Root button. It will take 2 or 3 minutes for your device to be rooted.
    This procedure has worked for my own tablet but I accept no responsibility if you end up bricking your device!

Another way to root your tablet is at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1119778

To stop battery drain & prevent screen from waking every few minutes - **only for original Kogan ROM**

(with thanks to hallokitty for this fix)
    This happens because the tablet keeps looking for the 3G signal it cannot ever receive. To fix this, go to System/app using Root Explorer from the Market, delete (or rename) phone.apk and TelephonyProvider.apk. You will immediately start getting errors but just use the reset button at the back of the tablet and when you reboot the problem has been solved. If you ever want to restore these apk's (e.g. if you want to use a 3G modem) just flash the phone+telephony zip file below using clockwork mod.

Clockworkmod rescue backups

I've done a factory reset & wipe of my tablet & made clockworkmod backups which I've linked to below. Make sure you do a full Nandroid backup before applying any of these. Unzip the file & place it in the appropriate Nandroid folder on your SD card (/clockworkmod/backup/), don't try to flash the zip file using CWM! These are a slightly slimmed down versions of the ROMs - for the Kogan ROM I've removed phone.apk, telephony.apk, Email, Facebook, Twitter, FW tool (dangerous to have), ES Explorer, Live Wallpapers and ES task manager. I've upgraded Spare Parts to Spare Parts + and added Astro File Manager as a user app. I had removed most of these things from my ROM before I was ever asked to make this backup so if you want to reinstall them you can get them from the Market or flash the relevant apk's into the system/app folder using CWM. The ROM is still rooted. You will need to do a factory reset & wipe the Data partition & Dalvik cache with CWM prior to doing this. If you want to use a 3G modem you will need to flash the "phone + telephony.zip" file listed below with clockworkmod.

Kogan firmware clockworkmod rescue backup: http://www.mediafire.com/?izfedrz97iowi34

**If you're really lazy you can combine rooting the tablet, removing unnecessary system apps & applying the screen wake fix by installing clockworkmod then restoring the rescue backup (NB make sure you make your own Nandroid backup first!!!).

CM7 runs extremely well on the Kogan except for HDMI out & Camera which don't work yet. You will also need to install Gmail & Youtube apps from the Market if you want them. Make sure you do a full CWM/Nandroid backup before trying this as I had problems with an unresponsive touchscreen after flashing the most recent CM7 ROM. For more info head here.

Tips & Tricks

MoboPlayer is a good video player, particularly for its ability to let you change the volume & screen brightness by swiping up & down directly on the video you are watching. The volume softkeys on the Kogan are not visible if any app is in fullscreen mode.
    Titanium Backup may not show all installed apps or any system apps. To fix this go to Titanium Backup's Preferences and tick "Force use system Busybox" and "Force use system SQlite".
    Original kogan 7" em73 based

Hi All

i found this site http://www.dxtreme.com.au/forum/viewforum.php?f=15 whilst searching if anyone had been working on a EM73 setup and it looked compatible AND there was a 2012 build of the telechips firmware.

Anyway i dl'd it used the fwdn tool from the site to install and after some tense waiting it rebooted and is working well
    im playing with system files via android commander -http://androidcommander.com/ (oh ive attached the win7 64bit moto drivers)

there are some interesting files in here such as system/lib libOMX.TCC.DVBTTuner.so and the gmaps looks like a modded version from hiapk.

I too have renamed the phone and telephony apks to no avail so im hvaing apoke around to see what else can be changed.

Can anyone get into the recovery on there kogan as all i seem to be able to get to is fastboot . From what ive read power and back should be recovery ?
    Hi
    I installed softlocker:
    https://market.android.com/details?id=otis8.softlocker
    It needs to be turned off and on anytime the tablet runs out of battery but as long as it is then running it stays off. This is at last what works. I have been out of the country since I last posted when thought it was sorted...
    Hope this now sorts out your screen as it did mine.
    I got mine today. It's going back as soon as I can get Kogan to respond.
    Turns itself on & off at random, poor quality screen, sound, responsiveness.
    Touchscreen activates itself without being touched.
    What was I thinking? I guess you get what you pay for.
    Now if only I could get them to reply to an email.......