[APP][4.0+] Omni Notes - Material design + Open source note companion

Search This thread

arnesottolo

Feb 13, 2012

Free and open-source note taking application aimed to have both a lightweight footprint on system performances and simple interface but keeping smart behavior.

I've always used a lot Evernote before, Google Keep later, but I've always felt that both of them were missing something I needed.
  • Evernote is very complete but too complex generally speaking, offline notes are available only on paid version and "too many clicks" are required to accomplish a task.
  • Google Keep is perfect to me for its interface but on the other side it has a poor multimedia attachment support, needs a registered account (like Evernote), and has only manual notes sorting.
So, starting from this point I started developing from scratch an open source application that is still far from being complete but is growing thanks to actual beta stage users feedback.

Features

☆ Material Design interface
☆ Basic add, modify, archive, trash and delete notes actions
☆ Share, merge and search notes
☆ Image, audio and generic file attachments
☆ Manage your notes using tags and categories
☆ To-do list
☆ Sketch-note mode
☆ Notes shortcut on home screen
☆ Export/import notes to backup
☆ Google Now integration: just tell "write a note" followed by the content
☆ Multiple widgets, DashClock extension, Android 4.2 lockscreen compatibility
☆ Multilanguage: 30 languages supported

Info

Community: https://www.facebook.com/OmniNotes/
Source code: https://github.com/federicoiosue/Omni-Notes
Translation project: https://translate.omninotes.app/

Attachments

• 02.png
    02.png
    82.6 KB · Views: 112
  • 03.png
    03.png
    63.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 05.png
    05.png
    62.4 KB · Views: 99
  • 04.png
    04.png
    69 KB · Views: 81
  • 07.png
    07.png
    69.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 08.png
    08.png
    104.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 11.png
    11.png
    68.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 10.png
    10.png
    51.1 KB · Views: 112
  • 12.png
    12.png
    88.1 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

karanrajpal14

Feb 4, 2011
Bangalore
The only thing that I'm looking for is a good note taking app with a floating mode. Add that and you'll win me over.
I just tried the app out and I liked it a lot. Great job! Keep it up!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: wingchun108tek

arnesottolo

Feb 13, 2012
The only thing that I'm looking for is a good note taking app with a floating mode. Add that and you'll win me over.
I just tried the app out and I liked it a lot. Great job! Keep it up!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Thanks for your support!

What exaclty do you mean talking about floating mode? Something like the application widget but always staying on top of other apps?

Reactions: pcmanager

arnesottolo

Feb 13, 2012
A new fixed version for spanish users has been released.

I'm always searching for translators for other languages than italian and english, contact me if you want to help!

Cheers

arnesottolo

Feb 13, 2012
Hi there,
a new version of this application will be released in a few on the play store for subscribers of the Beta program in the Google+ community.

These new Bta will come with notes tagging to categorize and color your stored information and security password to protect your notes.

Check it out!

Inviato dal mio Nexus 4 utilizzando Tapatalk

karanrajpal14

Feb 4, 2011
Bangalore
Thanks for your support!

What exaclty do you mean talking about floating mode? Something like the application widget but always staying on top of other apps?

Sorry for the late reply but yeah. That's exactly what i mean. You can check the play store for an app called floating stickies. Thats exactly what i wish for but unfortunately the app isn't being developed anymore.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

arnesottolo

Feb 13, 2012
Sorry for the late reply but yeah. That's exactly what i mean. You can check the play store for an app called floating stickies. Thats exactly what i wish for but unfortunately the app isn't being developed anymore.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I've seen what you meant, actually its not a prioritary feature.

The first things that must be competed are checklists and cloud synchronization.

Anyhow I'll be glad if you'd join the Google+ Community and add your request to the apposite section!

slyr114

Oct 9, 2011
Cleveland
I love the interface and I really like that clock when setting the reminder time, it really is a cool time setting clock, however, is it possible to add in an am/pm option instead of the 24 hour clock? I am from the U.S. and while I like the idea of a 24 hour clock since the rest of the world uses it, almost no clocks here use the 24 hour format and it is just easier for me to use am/pm. Also do you plan, or is there a way, to add in some sort of check box option next to reminders or notes to indicate that they are done/taken care of or perhaps make an option to create either a regular nnote or a checklist type note something like that?

Last edited:

arnesottolo

Feb 13, 2012
I love the interface and I really like that clock when setting the reminder time, it really is a cool time setting clock, however, is it possible to add in an am/pm option instead of the 24 hour clock? I am from the U.S. and while I like the idea of a 24 hour clock since the rest of the world uses it, almost no clocks here use the 24 hour format and it is just easier for me to use am/pm. Also do you plan, or is there a way, to add in some sort of check box option next to reminders or notes to indicate that they are done/taken care of or perhaps make an option to create either a regular nnote or a checklist type note something like that?

Hi, thanks for your feedback.

I never thout about it but yes, I could do without too much throuble, but that modification will be postponed after the core set of feature I've wrote about many posts before.
One of these features is (yes it is) the "checklist mode".
I will develop that so that users could interchange mode without requiring choose it at note creation time.

arnesottolo

Feb 13, 2012
New beta 4.2.0Beta1 rolling out.

The sketch feature is very simple and highly experimental, so don't rely so much on it, it will be ready for stable version!

Checklist-mode is fully functional, many configuration options are available in application settings.
This is also capable of importing notes shared from many others apps (Google Keep for example), so try it!

Last but not least, a 12-hour clock has been introduced along with many graphical improvements made and a lot of bugfixes.

Check it out!
aqu7u7es.jpg

Reactions: alirezaafkar

arnesottolo

Feb 13, 2012
New beta is out!

Sketch feature is now a little more versatile and even the checklist received many bugfixes.

Let me know what do you think, I'm working now on correcting last bugs ti release as soon as translations are ready a stable version.

sahapy3u.jpg

lesiki

Oct 10, 2011
Frankfurt
Awesome! I've been searching for a good open source note app for years now. I recently found one, but it was a little bit too minimalistic.

---------- Post added at 09:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 PM ----------

By the way, the icon needs to be redesigned.

franhmar

Apr 4, 2012
Nice!! +1

Very nice work you make and excellent mix between Evernote and Keep
I love Keep cause the simplicity but the Evernote cause de multi-platform

now you just need work in cloud sync

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Free and open-source note taking application aimed to have both a lightweight footprint on system performances and simple interface but keeping smart behavior.

I've always used a lot Evernote before, Google Keep later, but I've always felt that both of them were missing something I needed.
    • Evernote is very complete but too complex generally speaking, offline notes are available only on paid version and "too many clicks" are required to accomplish a task.
    • Google Keep is perfect to me for its interface but on the other side it has a poor multimedia attachment support, needs a registered account (like Evernote), and has only manual notes sorting.
    So, starting from this point I started developing from scratch an open source application that is still far from being complete but is growing thanks to actual beta stage users feedback.

Features

☆ Material Design interface
    ☆ Basic add, modify, archive, trash and delete notes actions
    ☆ Share, merge and search notes
    ☆ Image, audio and generic file attachments
    ☆ Manage your notes using tags and categories
    ☆ To-do list
    ☆ Sketch-note mode
    ☆ Notes shortcut on home screen
    ☆ Export/import notes to backup
    ☆ Google Now integration: just tell "write a note" followed by the content
    ☆ Multiple widgets, DashClock extension, Android 4.2 lockscreen compatibility
    ☆ Multilanguage: 30 languages supported

Info

Community: https://www.facebook.com/OmniNotes/
    Source code: https://github.com/federicoiosue/Omni-Notes
    Translation project: https://translate.omninotes.app/
    Hello,

a new Beta is going to be published on Play Store.

This one took me a lot of time due to the lot of work I've done rewriting the whole core code of the app acquiring this way the ability of playing with animations and screen transactions without losing retro-compatibility.

This is far from being just an aesthetics decision, I believe it brings a lot of more usability giving some less "on/off" effect and more dynamism to the layout movements.

Back to the new Beta features the two major that have been introduced are the generic file attachments support and custom fonts size to improve (once again) usability.

This build is still affected from many bugs (mainly widget's related) but I decided to release it anyway mainly to offer to the translators something more palpable to give a look at, so it's strongly recommended do make a backup of your notes before upgrading.

Thank you all.

【by Omni Notes】
    A new version on the application #OmniNotes has been released on Google Play with a lot a new features, check it out!

- New "Expanded View" visualization of notes list, with attachments preview
    - Swipe to delete gesture
    - Deletion and archiviation action cancellables with overlayed undo-bar
    - Application tour to show Omni Notes' basic features
    - You can create shortcuts to notes on launcher home
    - Google Now integration: just say "write a note", followed by content
    - Home and Lockscreen (Android >= 4.2.2 only) widgets with scrolling notes list (only Android 3.2 or later)
    - DashClock extension support
    - Security question system in case you forget the password
    - A lot more fixes and improvements

14+-+1
    14+-+2

A big thank you (as always) to the translators that are helping to bring to all the users a localized version on the app enduring contribution to the continuous changes that I make to strings! 
    A new beta version is out with Springpad importing support!

Check it out!
    A new release of the app has been released as FOSS and it's available using F-Droid!

https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdfilter=omni+notes&fdid=it.feio.android.omninotes.foss