Jam will receive a WM5 upgrade?

Search This thread

parisp

May 11, 2005
Hi all,

I am buying an i-mate jam however i am holding back since Windows Mobile 5.0 has just been released until i know if the jam will be upgradeable to the new os or not.

I would not want to buy a new device and find myself wanting to buy a new one in a month coz it wont be upgradable to wm5.

I have sent an email to i-mate but they have not yet replied.

Anyone has any clue if the jam will receive a wm5 upgrade?

ianwood

Feb 27, 2005
Lost Angeles
I found this on the Club I-Mate forum:

Forum Administrator
Administrator
5/11/2005 9:27:20 PM
RE: Windows Mobile 5.0? (in reply to narf23)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I am sorry to tell you that in the meantime we are not willing to release Windows Mobile 2005 ROM upgrade for the i-mate Pocket PC, JAM, and PDA2k.

[end message]

So according to I-Mate's forum admin its a no. However, I expect to hear several conflicting stories going forward.

Lior

Jan 14, 2005
Thats what i got from O2.

"Please note that O2 Asia has not offically release any plans for XdaIImini (WM2003SE) to be OS upgrade to Windows Mobile 5 OS. Thank you. "

parisp

May 11, 2005
Thanks for the replies.

I guess i will put my purchase on hold until i have some concrete news about this.

Loboman

Jan 4, 2005
WM5 looks nice. I really hope that we'll see a version for the Magician at some time. My guess it that HTC will make a Magician2 with WM5 though.

WaspWorld

May 9, 2005
Tjenare Loboman!

Vet du ett sätt att unlocka sin Qtek s100 gratis och om ExtROM version 1.11.132 (WWE) funkar på denna tele?

Tackar!

Björn

Loboman

Jan 4, 2005
WaspWorld said:
Tjenare Loboman!

Vet du ett sätt att unlocka sin Qtek s100 gratis och om ExtROM version 1.11.132 (WWE) funkar på denna tele?

Tackar!

Björn

Vet inget sätt att låsa upp gratis och ännu har inte Qtek Sverige släppt någon uppgradering, men jag rekommenderar Anansky's 27MB-ROM som kan installeras oavsett vilken Magician du har. Läs hela tråden innan du testar så slipper du massor av problem.

http://xdaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=20043

(Sorry for the Swedish all you non-Swedes)

LeSkip

Jan 6, 2005
oxymoron.se
I've done the big storage upgrade, and it works very well. I upgraded mostly because I hade some strange issues with my previsous version, like no notification when I get email or SMS, and went through the extra pain to free up some more memory.

Anyway, the only thing suggesting that the Magician will eventually run WM5 is the fact that Microsoft has announced the system publicly. If HTC wants to sell devices between now and when WM5 hits the streets, they'd better offer an upgrade.

I'm not saying that we will ever see one, just that there are reasons why they should.

zetsurin

Apr 24, 2005
Melbourne
LeSkip said:
I'm not saying that we will ever see one, just that there are reasons why they should.

They better because I refuse to purchase a new device in order to get the latest software again. My Magician isn't even 6 months old and it starts to sound like it won't even be officially supportd???

It is quite likely that the WM2005 upgrade will be offered for the JAM eventually, judging by it's immense popularity. However, it wil most likely NOT be a free upgrade, since all other manufacturers will also be charging for it.

Also, do not forget that between releasing WM 5 and a possible release for the JAM, some testing, certification and customization will have to be done by i-Mate, Qtek, T-Mobile, Orange etc etc.

The earliest that we could expect a possible upgrade to WM5 would be in 3-6 months.

bnycastro

I agree the Magician is very popular but we must look at i-mate's history and the device itself. imate has not released (officially) an OS upgrade to any of it's devices (please correct if I am mistaken), sure there are ROMs and updates but never a full OS. also the Magician has 64MB ROM which seems to be lacking (based on upgrade models by both hp and DELL.. which will only upgrade devices with 128MB ROM). I'd say the Magician would have a slim to nothing chance of getting WM5.0, I'll be happy to be wrong even if asked to pay for the upgrade... which is both bad and good. the bad well we'd have to buy another device if we want WM5.0, the good the popularity of the Magician may force HTC to make the next generation of Magician meaning same or close to the size but with better specifications... -> HTC Magician form factor + 128MB RAM and 128MB ROM + SDIO + Bluetooth (Broadcomm) + WiFi + Speedy Processor (I never liked the camera so I'm leaving it out), so far the only thing I've seen from HTC is the Universal which is a monster of a device compared to the Magician.

dangel

Jul 21, 2003
Cambridge
I'm due for upgrade next month and was going to get the jam to replace my xda2 but i'm not willing to buy it till the new os is on it..

dutty

Apr 28, 2004
never say never.. remember the wm2003 SEupdate for the xda2? remember the wm2005 rom for the xda2?

things happen...