VZW: Revert to 4.2?

Search This thread

cpurick

Jul 29, 2011
If I manage to obtain the key for my bootloader and unlock my 4.4.2 phone, would I be able to flash the original Moto/VZW 4.2 onto it?

I liked the battery life a lot better before 4.4.2, and I'd prefer to go back to 4.2 until they work out some of the power issues.

Ryno77

Feb 13, 2012
If I manage to obtain the key for my bootloader and unlock my 4.4.2 phone, would I be able to flash the original Moto/VZW 4.2 onto it?

I liked the battery life a lot better before 4.4.2, and I'd prefer to go back to 4.2 until they work out some of the power issues.

Almost everyone here will say no because if you take any ota you will hard brick your phone. There is a smaller group of people here will say it is possible with an unlocked device. You likely could flash the system.img from 4.2 and keep your current bootloader and not have an issue other than 4.2 possibly having compatibility issues with the newer bootloader. Personally I WOULD NOT try this until someone proves it's possible.

edthesped

Sep 13, 2010

Is the battery that much better on 4.2?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

D

Darth

Is the battery that much better on 4.2?

Not for me. At all. 4.4.2 is no different. Just gotta troubleshoot if battery is bad. Anything can be fixed.

That said. Yes you can download. Have to search for exactly how. And if you take an ota after, you could brick.

In my opinion, its risky business downgrading from 4.4.2 no matter the method, or locked or unlocked bootloader.

Just read read read first. And be careful. Been lots of bricks downgrading. But I do think there's a reasonably safe way to do it....tho I've never done it, or wanted to.

Just my 2 cents. ;) These aren't nexuses....some things can't be done, or need to be done carefully.

Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, G Tab 3 or S2.....

edthesped

Sep 13, 2010
Not for me. At all. 4.4.2 is no different. Just gotta troubleshoot if battery is bad. Anything can be fixed.

That said. Yes you can download. Have to search for exactly how. And if you take an ota after, you could brick.

In my opinion, its risky business downgrading from 4.4.2 no matter the method, or locked or unlocked bootloader.

Just read read read first. And be careful. Been lots of bricks downgrading. But I do think there's a reasonably safe way to do it....tho I've never done it, or wanted to.

Just my 2 cents. ;) These aren't nexuses....some things can't be done, or need to be done carefully.

Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, G Tab 3 or S2.....

Thanks, I think I can handle the downgrade, I tend to not take OTA`s so with respectto that I should be somewhat safe, besides I'm already at risk because I'm on 4.4.2 with the 4.4 boot loader but I'm not worried because I tend to wait for sbfs to come before I update.

jayboyyyy

Oct 26, 2012
Thanks, I think I can handle the downgrade, I tend to not take OTA`s so with respectto that I should be somewhat safe, besides I'm already at risk because I'm on 4.4.2 with the 4.4 boot loader but I'm not worried because I tend to wait for sbfs to come before I update.

just make sure to freeze the motorola ota. Don't flash gpt.bin or motoboot.img. and make sure when you eventually upgrade again you follow those rules.

Once you are unlocked. I would suggest just flashing eclipse rom. It is based on stock and you will get much better battery life with that then you will downgrading to 4.2.2 i promise you.

ericizzy1

Apr 28, 2006
just make sure to freeze the motorola ota. Don't flash gpt.bin or motoboot.img. and make sure when you eventually upgrade again you follow those rules.

Once you are unlocked. I would suggest just flashing eclipse rom. It is based on stock and you will get much better battery life with that then you will downgrading to 4.2.2 i promise you.

i have to agree, was happy with battery on 4.2.2, upgraded to 4.4, battery was very bad. unlocked my device, flashed ecplise 3.1.2 on kitkat 4.4 (still didnt upgrade to 4.4.2 because wanted to leave a door back to 4.2.2) and battery life on ecplise while on 4.4 is just as good, if not better that stock 4.2.2
very happy now

edthesped

Sep 13, 2010

Thanks OTA is froze and I'm on TWRP so I think I'm safe. At some point I'll have to look into Eclipse.