My experience and negatives of SGS II

Search This thread

dk206

Oct 8, 2010
London, United Kingdom
Hello XDA.

These are NOT MAJOR problems for me personally. The phone is brilliant, blazing fast. However if I had to pick out things I disliked/gripes these would be it. And will update if I or we happen to find more.

- MicroSD and Sim slot has switched places from original SGS
Its more common to take the MicroSD out than the SIM card. Have to take the battery out just to insert/take out my MicroSD!!!

- Camera prone to scratches
The little platform that the camera is raised on is prone to scratches.Laying on a table the phone virtually rests on the camera lens! Comparing with the SGS the case takes the damage.
A good temporary way would be to stick a bit leftover from invisishield onto where the "8.0 MEGA" sign is and let that take the weight and scratches.
4e95c6c0-4443-0fc5.jpg
4e95c6c0-4454-7369.jpg
4e95c6c0-445e-5eb0.jpg

- Gap in Speaker
I don't know if you've noticed but there is a GIANT GAP between the slits of the cover and the internals underneath it. And unlike the SGS I. There is noway to reach inside it get get dirt/bits out. Is a big whole waiting to collect dust IMHO. :S

- Lack of Base comparing to the SGS I
I have to say the speakers on SGS II imho is not better than SGS I. Maybe there was a bit of compromise in the design?
On the original SGS you couldn't listen to it whilst on the table or sofa.
Now on the SGS II there is a massive gap between the outer chasis and the internal speaker inside so you can listen to music perfectly without any muffling when laid on a surface which is a GOOD THING. However there seems to be a real lack of base comparing with the SGS I.

- No cover for MicroUSB slot
Again dust prone. Why they took that feature out from the Original sgs I don't know.

- Did not come with USB2go or HDMI cable EDIT: Samsung Infuse 4G has a USB2Go adapter included in box!
I know they didn't advertise this as one of the strongest points but a little disappointed that it didn't come with it. I actually asked about this at CPW on launch day but the accessories were still all boxed up so couldn't take a look.

- Some people having problems with Screen
Pixel/Lines appearing and disapperaing. But looking at this forum and others only a minority/rare case and I personally don't have this problem on my SGS II.

- Flash videos
Problems with BBC iPlayer, video stuttering. A faint mesh background when you watch any flash embedded videos using the stock browser.
TRY TESTING THIS YOURSELF. Play a video which has a white if not a bright coloured background.

- Menu Key vibration in Game Hub
It is excessively long and loud unlike any other hubs or just when you press the menu key.

- Low call volume when using personal head phones. CONFIRMED

Last edited:

ma10

Aug 14, 2006
London
yeah, I've noticed these things too... but since I wasn't an original sgs owner didn't think too much of it. I actually noticed the deep speaker gap when I saw something just inside.... had to fish it out with a toothpick?! :(

hung77

Jun 13, 2008
- Camera is a real worry. The little platform that the camera is raised on is prone to scratches. I don't like cases and I tried sticking the bits left out of my Invisishield screen protector onto the back cover but it doesn't seem to stick on...I was trying to stack a a neat circle of invisishield at the sides of the camera so when placed down on a desk/table it wouldn't scratch

Doesn't the camera has also gorilla glass?
Otherwise it is a big worry

jgittins

Nov 1, 2010
Carlisle
My negatives so far are

* Flash videos are not smooth on BBC iPlayer, even using the official iPlayer app.
* Camera shutter noise cannot be disabled
* Some popular games are not working, NFS Shift, Dungeon Defenders etc
* No LED for email/sms notifications
* Phone vibrates loudly when fully charged - waking me up at 4 am

JJEgan

Oct 24, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
These are NOT MAJOR problems
Negative points for me

- MicroSD and Sim slot has switched places. Its more common to take the MicroSD out than the SIM card. Now I have to take the battery out just to insert/take out my MicroSD!!!

Not a problem i take sd card out once a year at most .

- No cover for MicroUSB slot again dust prone. Why they took that feature out from the Original sgs I don't know.

Odd that maybe they think wont attract dust as its on the bottom .

- USB2GO cable didn't come with the box!
Not expecting it to

jje

dk206

Oct 8, 2010
London, United Kingdom
Doesn't the camera has also gorilla glass?
Otherwise it is a big worry

Dunno. I bets not. Hope so but yeah, the glass edges mounted on the silver chrome is just waiting to get scratched! :S

@jgittins
Agree with the LED not having notification functions.
But the rest of the issues can be software-fixed and will improve in time e.g games compatibility. Remember the SGS II just came out. Like-wise maybe bbc iPlayer is not yet tailored for the SGS II. Strange though, my Carphonewarehouse phone did come with it installed. I'll check this out.

As for phone vibrating loud turn the vibration down in settings.

Camera shutter sound even on silent, yes I can confirm too that it is not working for me too. I'm on CPW (sim-free unlocked) firmware

dk206

Oct 8, 2010
London, United Kingdom
- USB2GO cable didn't come with the box!
Not expecting it to

jje

yeah agree they are not major problems like I've said. I just tried focusing on the h/w problems which might be hard to change/alter unlike software problems.

The cable tbh I expected it to come with it.
The box is smaller than the Galaxy S which I applaud Samsung environmental/wasting less resources but for a 500Pounds phone...disappointed nonetheless.

pulser_g2

Admin Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 27, 2009
Dunno. I bets not. Hope so but yeah, the glass edges mounted on the silver chrome is just waiting to get scratched! :S

@jgittins
Agree with the LED not having notification functions.
But the rest of the issues can be software-fixed and will improve in time e.g games compatibility. Remember the SGS II just came out. Like-wise maybe bbc iPlayer is not yet tailored for the SGS II. Strange though, my Carphonewarehouse phone did come with it installed. I'll check this out.

As for phone vibrating loud turn the vibration down in settings.

Camera shutter sound even on silent, yes I can confirm too that it is not working for me too. I'm on CPW (sim-free unlocked) firmware

Since screen is SAMOLED you can get an app to flash a couple of pixels with minimal power drain IIRC

RE the vibration, if it's annoying, I'll find a way to stop it by hacking the framework if required...

LBTaylor1984

Aug 22, 2005
London
Hmm nothing really sticks out as bad or negative, personally just gripes.

Also annoyed by the SD card being ballache to remove, I'd prefer a external access port.

I'd prefer Samsung not stamping there name front and back, on the back would have been fine, I'm well aware of what i bought it doesn't need a f'in label.

Disappointed with the hotspot on the camera CCD. had this on the HD2, Desire etc.

I don't like the lack of a notification LED

The clicking of the hardware key sounds cheap IMHO.

16gb storage, hmm 2gb apps 2.5gb unaccounted for? 500mb Rom 500mb Rom backup? even at that rate, still missing 1.5gb ???

Battery life isn't what i hoped for, can't get anywhere near other users standby times

USB2GO not included nor HDMI lead?

all in all i am happy but a few adjustments and it would have been perfect, literally

valdigre

Nov 20, 2010
Dublin
My negatives so far are

Those two drawbacks are actually disturbing, as SGS has an option to disable shutter sound from within camera settings.
I also remember, that in previous, first Froyo firmwares for SGS it was also vibrating at night when charged.
Samsung fixed it with newer firmwares and this problem was gone.

I wouldn't worry about this just yet, I think those two maybe fixed in the future.

Reactions: .Arkham

dk206

Oct 8, 2010
London, United Kingdom
Since screen is SAMOLED you can get an app to flash a couple of pixels with minimal power drain IIRC

RE the vibration, if it's annoying, I'll find a way to stop it by hacking the framework if required...

camera shutter noise is priority now I think.

Really strange usually U.K or Europe for that matter has the function to silent shutter noise when in silent/vibration mode for companies like Samsung, Nokia etc.

dk206

Oct 8, 2010
London, United Kingdom

I'd prefer Samsung not stamping there name front and back, on the back would have been fine, I'm well aware of what i bought it doesn't need a f'in label.
I'm actually glad they did this. People need to know that it is a Samsung phone and not a knock off of an iPhone most people believe it to be. The general public will be amazed with Super AMOLED plus therefore I think it was good Samsung to do this front and back. (IMHO)

You mean the middle home button????

16gb storage, hmm 2gb apps 2.5gb unaccounted for? 500mb Rom 500mb Rom backup? even at that rate, still missing 1.5gb ???
Yeah this is a little strange, will look on this

Battery life isn't what i hoped for, can't get anywhere near other users standby times
Hmmm I've been easily getting over 24hours with my moderate usage. 3G always on/ MP3 everyday 45mins there and back from Uni, browsing 2hours at least. Auto-sync turned on all day

Neither included...for a 500 Pound phone...

all in all i am happy but a few adjustments and it would have been perfect, literally

yeah agree. Happy, blazing fast. Like the SGS will only get better and better with time. I'm just so looking forward to what our devs can do with this beast >:D

darkninja157

Sep 27, 2010
Delaware

Also annoyed by the SD card being ballache to remove, I'd prefer a external access port.

Disappointed with the hotspot on the camera CCD. had this on the HD2, Desire etc.

I don't like the lack of a notification LED

I'm only going to refer to the 16GB part. I know that when I purchase ANY storage (hard drive, memory card) it is NEVER the full amount. Such as my 16GB micro SD card gives me around 14GB of space. Just like my 500GB hard drive is also in the 400 something GB range for usable space. It is just the nature of storage, you never get the full amount ;) .

awesome-member

Dec 30, 2010
kent uk
my personal negatives are:
1.no touch to focus on camera app.(it does work, my bad)
2.aliasing on web pages.
3.too many incompatible games.
4.no mhl cable bundled with the phone
that's all:rolleyes:

Last edited:

rocketpaul

Apr 25, 2010
My negatives so far are

* Flash videos are not smooth on BBC iPlayer, even using the official iPlayer app.
* Some popular games are not working, NFS Shift, Dungeon Defenders etc
* No LED for email/sms notifications

Agreed, how can the shutter noise not have an option to turn it off????

use an APP called NOled it worked amazingly on the SGS1

RogerPodacter

Apr 12, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Those two drawbacks are actually disturbing, as SGS has an option to disable shutter sound from within camera settings.
I also remember, that in previous, first Froyo firmwares for SGS it was also vibrating at night when charged.

I wouldn't worry about this just yet, I think those two maybe fixed in the future.

i dont understand. original SGS had the vibrate issue when full, so they fixed it. they relesae the successor, and put the issue back in place? oh samsung you silly devil dogs, cant think things thru can they...kinda stupid.

Dannyboyni

Sep 30, 2010
My number one concern is bbc iplayer.

When I visit the iplayer website and play video it suffers from stuttering.

My second concern is white mesh on flash animations. Why cant the vectors be smooth like flash on the pc?

Last edited:

dk206

Oct 8, 2010
London, United Kingdom
My number one concern is bbc iplayer.

When I visit the iplayer website and play video it suffers from stuttering.

My second concern is white mesh on flash animations. Why cant the vectors be smooth like flash on the pc?

As I've said this before above somewhere iPlayer will most certainly improve for SGS II. It just came out.

I have no problems with flash. Watch (not in youtube) embedded sites and click full screen set on 1080p it is AMAZING.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello XDA.

These are NOT MAJOR problems for me personally. The phone is brilliant, blazing fast. However if I had to pick out things I disliked/gripes these would be it. And will update if I or we happen to find more.

- MicroSD and Sim slot has switched places from original SGS
    Its more common to take the MicroSD out than the SIM card. Have to take the battery out just to insert/take out my MicroSD!!!

- Camera prone to scratches
    The little platform that the camera is raised on is prone to scratches.Laying on a table the phone virtually rests on the camera lens! Comparing with the SGS the case takes the damage.
    A good temporary way would be to stick a bit leftover from invisishield onto where the "8.0 MEGA" sign is and let that take the weight and scratches.
    4e95c6c0-4443-0fc5.jpg
    4e95c6c0-4454-7369.jpg
    4e95c6c0-445e-5eb0.jpg

- Gap in Speaker
    I don't know if you've noticed but there is a GIANT GAP between the slits of the cover and the internals underneath it. And unlike the SGS I. There is noway to reach inside it get get dirt/bits out. Is a big whole waiting to collect dust IMHO. :S

- Lack of Base comparing to the SGS I
    I have to say the speakers on SGS II imho is not better than SGS I. Maybe there was a bit of compromise in the design?
    On the original SGS you couldn't listen to it whilst on the table or sofa.
    Now on the SGS II there is a massive gap between the outer chasis and the internal speaker inside so you can listen to music perfectly without any muffling when laid on a surface which is a GOOD THING. However there seems to be a real lack of base comparing with the SGS I.

- No cover for MicroUSB slot
    Again dust prone. Why they took that feature out from the Original sgs I don't know.

- Did not come with USB2go or HDMI cable EDIT: Samsung Infuse 4G has a USB2Go adapter included in box!
    I know they didn't advertise this as one of the strongest points but a little disappointed that it didn't come with it. I actually asked about this at CPW on launch day but the accessories were still all boxed up so couldn't take a look.

- Some people having problems with Screen
    Pixel/Lines appearing and disapperaing. But looking at this forum and others only a minority/rare case and I personally don't have this problem on my SGS II.

- Flash videos
    Problems with BBC iPlayer, video stuttering. A faint mesh background when you watch any flash embedded videos using the stock browser.
    TRY TESTING THIS YOURSELF. Play a video which has a white if not a bright coloured background.

- Menu Key vibration in Game Hub
    It is excessively long and loud unlike any other hubs or just when you press the menu key.

- Low call volume when using personal head phones. CONFIRMED
    My negatives so far are

If the SGS2 dosn't have LED notifications, how does one see if there is a SMS or mail or other waiting ?
    Just got the phone today from Three. While it has some obvious advantages over SGS1 (which I bought about a year ago), it has one huge disadvantage: display. In fact, I am surprised that no one mentioned it so far. The size has increased, but the resolution is the same. The result is a far inferior picture quality when compared to SGS1. Very disappointed...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Premium App

As been said, the galaxy s2 has physically more pixels than the first galaxy s. The first one cheated with the pentile pixel matrix which shared sub pixels. This phone has a full red green blue pixel matrix which is a huge increase in number of pixels which gives sharper text. No more fuzzy text like galaxy s, nexus one and the desire all had. This is sharp like a full standard LCD screen, finally.
    Just to add to my previous post;
    I know its all about gs2 v sensation but I just done a side by side screen test with gs2 n incredible s, both have same resolution b incredibles screen is smaller so should look better... it SOOO doesn't! Tested both cameras (both bein 8mp, no contest, gs2 was way better.

I know the sensation has higher res so its not really the same comparison, I was just amazement at how good the gs2 screen looks. I'm defo gonna try sensation before my upgrade in a few weeks and I do consider myself a bit of a HTC fan boy, however, I am seriously falling in love with the gs2. :)

Edit; oops, wrong thread, sorry

Sent from my HTC Hero using XDA Premium App