[Q] Very Slow Wifi (Family Edition)

Search This thread

Homestar1217

Jun 12, 2010
DFW Texas
So I have a Xoom FE, obviously, and when I'm browsing the internet in the stock browser, browsing the market, watching netflix, anything that requires internet in general is incredibly slow. Like almost unusable.

I know my internet is fast enough because both of my computers and other devices (Xbox, Droid, Sony Blu-Ray) fly on my network. We use a good Netgear router that's a full a/b/g/n dual band device running on 2.4 and 5Ghz.

The browser is usually painfully slow no matter what, and any of the apps that have anything to do with video are just pathetic. No videos load quickly, mainly in the YouTube app or when browsing to a video on the web, IGN for an example. Once they load enough they rarely keep playing for very long before stopping to buffer, and that's very noticeable in Netflix especially.

I've done Google searches and tried nearly everything that's been suggested, but most of that stuff is for the original Xoom. Not many seem to have gone for the FE. If anyone has any ideas on what I can try I'm open to ideas, even including the router settings. Like I said my internet speed is fine, I can stream 4k YouTube clips without buffering on my PCs.

Luda305

May 25, 2011
I have the family edition and I have great internet speed. I have a pc, laptop, xbox 360, evo 3d, Hp touchpad, and the xoom FE all on the same router and still the xooms internet is fast. So it might be a router problem for you

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

Homestar1217

Jun 12, 2010
DFW Texas
I haven't really used it on another router for any significant length of time. Unfortunately that means I can't isolate that as a problem either. In a couple weeks I'll be staying at a house with wifi when I go skiing, I'll definitely be paying attention to the speed there.

Its definitely the worst with video, whether it be flash or the youtube app itself the video just loads incredibly slow. Flash videos are nearly unwatchable if not because of the speed because of the glitching. Something I saw hadn't been fixed in the Xoom 2 when I read Engadget's review.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using XDA App

Luda305

May 25, 2011
I watch videos just fine. YouTube, netflix all that good ish with no problem

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

nswenson

Run Speedtest. If it's slow compared to your laptop, then try changing the wifi router protocol. If it's using WEP, try changing to WPA. I had this issue with my nook color and changing to WPA fixed internet speed issues.

Homestar1217

Jun 12, 2010
DFW Texas
Well I ran a speed test on all the devices I have. My laptop, Droid Charge and my desktop (which is hardwired) all reached just about 5mbps. That isn't bad, my AT&T DSL is supposed to peak at 6. This stupid thing hit under .5mbps, notice that POINT. That's less than half 1mbps. Thinking it might just be the browser I downloaded the app (which doesn't have a honeycomb version apparently), it fared slightly better with about 1.5mbps. Both tests had a ping of about 400ms, while all other devices were less than 20ms.

The router is already set to WPA, so I'm not sure what else to try. I'm thinking about trying the push button connect on the router to see if it helps.

jediman

Oct 28, 2010
Got netgear?
Just got fed up with mine after 2 years.
Granted it was draft n, and dropped the ssid broadcast daily, but even wired it slowed to a crawl most likely due to spi (stateful packet inspection). Try without it on if you got it.

Or buy a cisco router (they bought linksys). All my phone, tablet and pc related connection issues stopped when I replaced mine.

Sent from my DROID3 using xda premium

Reactions: okantomi

laredo7mm

Jun 29, 2007
I haven't really used it on another router for any significant length of time. Unfortunately that means I can't isolate that as a problem either...

Try to find a free WiFi hotspot near you and go there to test it. There has to be some where near you that has free WiFi.

Our local McDonalds in my podunk town of 5000 has free WiFi.

It is worth a try.

DaWgPaWs

Jan 22, 2012
Grants Pass, Or
did you ever find a solution to your problem? I'm experiencing slow download; choppy flashplayer, youtube is pretty much useless. i'm on cable with wi-fi modem. i'm beginning to think its the crappy modem provided by the cable company. but my desk top and net book are doing fine. anywho, any input would be greatly apreciated

---------- Post added at 10:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------

did you ever find a solution to your problem? I'm experiencing slow download; choppy flashplayer, youtube is pretty much useless. i'm on cable with wi-fi modem. i'm beginning to think its the crappy modem provided by the cable company. but my desk top and net book are doing fine. anywho, any input would be greatly apreciated

Homestar1217

Jun 12, 2010
DFW Texas
I never did find a solution. The symptoms you listed there are exactly what I'm living with. I haven't the slightest idea what might be causing it. The router appears to make no difference as I use it everywhere I go and the symptoms never go away for me. It's still useable, but slow. The other thing that bugs me is the browser's lovely habit of just force closing whenever it feels like it. Very annoying. I'm holding out hoping the ICS update can bring some fixes for us.

RogueJD

Feb 27, 2011
Midwest
What ROM are you using? (Stock, Rooted? EOS ROM?) What type of router do you have?

Details can help you. 5 Mbps is horrible. If you're sharing that bandwidth with other active nodes, then that's even worse.

Homestar1217

Jun 12, 2010
DFW Texas
I have a Netgear WNDR3700 router. This one here. I'm on the stock rom, un-rooted. There's plenty of devices in my house sharing the network for sure, but only about 3 at a time are actively using the internet. Most of the time less than that. 6Mb DSL is the fastest thing we can get where we live (there's no cable in the middle of nowhere).

As I said before, even with many devices using the internet at the same time, my Android phone and all my other devices EXCEPT my Xoom speed test at near 5Mbps. The tablet is lucky to hit 1.5Mbps. I just don't get it. I haven't noticed the slowdown on any other routers, but honestly I don't use it much for the web outside of the house, just mainly reading and games.

Thazz

Apr 5, 2012
I use a number of testing devices, and the Motorola Xoom Family Edition is by far the quirkiest--there must have been severe quality control issues at Motorola with that tablet.

I ran into the incredibly slow Internet speeds. Oddly enough, restarting the device fixed THAT Family Edition problem... for now.

Homestar1217

Jun 12, 2010
DFW Texas
I really don't know what it is about this tablet, it just seems to run very slow. Even when I tethered it to my 4G LTE phone (I get about 15-20mbps where I am) it was slow to pull up videos and pages (pages loaded quickly once they started). I think it needs some optimization for sure. I have a feeling they swapped in some new hardware and didn't touch the software from the original Xoom and that's where our problems are coming from.

Hopefully they actually try with ICS, though my hopes aren't high that we'll even get it this quarter, or if we do that it will be any better.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Got netgear?
    Just got fed up with mine after 2 years.
    Granted it was draft n, and dropped the ssid broadcast daily, but even wired it slowed to a crawl most likely due to spi (stateful packet inspection). Try without it on if you got it.

Or buy a cisco router (they bought linksys). All my phone, tablet and pc related connection issues stopped when I replaced mine.

Sent from my DROID3 using xda premium