[Really Off-Topic] Military vehicle on the roads?

Search This thread

N1c0_ds

Sep 9, 2007
Granby, QC
nicolasbouliane.com
Considering I'm getting my driving liscence soon, I was looking to buy a military jeep/car/tank(?!) just for fun. Is it legal to drive these in Canada? I wonder what the insurance people would think. :D

P.S.: This is just a crazy idea, I won't have a tank as my first car, but I'm interested nonetheless.

Last edited:

Alan Chan

Nov 21, 2006
well i think it depends how heavy in tonnes your ideal vehicle is. A tank is around 20 tonnes or more so i dun think the governments will allow it.

i got a good recommendation for you. Why dont just buy a Range Rover have it painted in camo? :)

momentarylapseofreason

Apr 29, 2007
Chicago
well i think it depends how heavy in tonnes your ideal vehicle is. A tank is around 20 tonnes or more so i dun think the governments will allow it.

i got a good recommendation for you. Why dont just buy a Range Rover have it painted in camo? :)

Yeah... waste a ton of money on a yuppie-mobile and paint it :eek:

You can buy several vehicles to drive on the street. I would however recommend the M1009 (Basically a K5 Blazer on a larger 3/4 ton chassis)

Dependable, safe, and CHEAP! (Oh... and Diesel..which = better gas mileage)
id_m1009_375.jpg

Alan Chan

Nov 21, 2006
i would actually preffer not to buy a military vehicle to be honest. Although it looks very cool and you can be unique from other motorist, but most military vehicles themselves are heavily used by previous owners :cool:

I still think buying a conventional 4x4 car painted in camo is a better alternative to that. You can always make it fancy too by adding few extra bits to it including a gun turret and catapillar tracks if you can afford it :p

howabout buying a Hummer? The US military loves it because of its size and durability. Expensive though and its definately a gas guzzler, but u get leather seats and sat nav in it at least...

momentarylapseofreason

Apr 29, 2007
Chicago
i would actually preffer not to buy a military vehicle to be honest. Although it looks very cool and you can be unique from other motorist, but most military vehicles themselves are heavily used by previous owners :cool:

I still think buying a conventional 4x4 car painted in camo is a better alternative to that. You can always make it fancy too by adding few extra bits to it including a gun turret and catapillar tracks if you can afford it :p

howabout buying a Hummer? The US military loves it because of its size and durability. Expensive though and its definately a gas guzzler, but u get leather seats and sat nav in it at least...

OK... the problem is... this is his FIRST CAR. If he buys a military Hummer (Humvee).. there's no leather (vinyl) and no amenities. To buy a civvy Hummer, you're looking at 30,000+ for a 8-9 year old used one. H2 and H3 models are JUNK.

Yes, the military vehicles are beaten up. The catch? They also maintain the bejebus out of them. (Worked in the motor pool for the US Army). Most of the time if we had something like a T-Case leak.. we would just drop in a whole new unit.

Alan Chan

Nov 21, 2006
Howabout a 2nd hand 1990's range rover?

its only around 7000 pounds if you are lucky to see one.

and besides, it gives a good feel like operating a tank because of the size and suspensions. My father used to own a range rover and its useful when driving off-road.