[TUT] Add rotation on your own to Netflix apps (and other apps)

Search This thread

Dblfstr

Mar 25, 2010
This is just a simple tutorial about enabling screen rotation to apps that do not rotate automatically when you turn your device. It is really a TUT on how to open an apk and edit the androidmanifest.xml file. Pretty simple.

Easy:

1. Decompile the Application.apk with apktool
2. Edit the androidmanifest with Notepad++
3. Build the Application.apk with apktool
4. Sign the apk with autosign.

Detailed:

You will need some tools:
Android SDK: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
APK Tool: http://code.google.com/p/android-apktool/
Notepad++: http://notepad-plus-plus.org/
A signing tool: Google "auto-sign apk"
An archiving tool: Plenty of them out there cable of .zip files
After you get this figured out, move on to step 1.

I do this from my desktop, so this is written as such.

Step 1. Decompile the Application.apk with apktool

B. Type apktool d C:/users/desktop/Netflix1.4.apk

(this refers to your desktop, so type the correct address for YOURS. However, I do not type, I drag and drop the Netflix.apk from my destop onto the cmd window)

C. Add a space then add destination directory "C:/users/destop/Netflixmod"
Again, your address of wherever you are working, and whetever you want to call the destination folder. For this I also drag and drop the same file, and just remove the .apk text.

D. Hit enter
Code:
apktool d C:\users\desktop\Netflix1.4.apk "C:\users\desktop\Netflixmod"

Your desktop address will be different than what I have typed, your Netflix app or whatever app you are decompiling will be different and your destination address and directory name will be different. DO NOT COPY PASTE THIS CODE INTO YOUR CMD LINE.

Step 2. Edit the androidmanifest with Notepad++

In the folder that you just created on your desktop (or wherever you are working) There is a file called androidmanifest.xml
Open this file with Notepad++ and edit the following lines:

Change line 5: android:screenOrientation="portrait" to android:screenOrientation="sensor"
Change line 29: android:screenOrientation="landscape" to android:screenOrientation="sensor"

Save the file.

Step 3. Build the Application.apk with apktool
apktool b C:\users\desktop\Netflixmod

This will build the application in the same folder that you are working in (i.e. "Netflixmod" folder) You can specify a new directory if you want, but I do not.
There will now be a folder named "Build" within the "Netflixmod" folder.
B. Copy the "Assets" folder into the "build" folder. (apktool leaves this out, but it is important).
C. Zip the contents of the build folder into a .zip file called apk.zip. (do not zip the Build folder, just everything inside of it INCLUDING THE ASSETS FOLDER!)
D. Rename the apk.zip file to apk.apk file.

Step 4. Sign the apk with autosign.

Last edited:

Dblfstr

Mar 25, 2010
Here is all of the code that I changed in the Netflix1.4 app to enable rotation and fix graphic bugs.

You can copy paste this into a text editor like Notepad++ and save as /.xml files. Then replace the files in your decompiled app with these. Or you can download the text file attached and create separate files out of each section of code.

New Netflix 1.4 Updated 9/09/2011

BELOW ARE THE FILES THAT NEED TO BE EDITED TO ENABLE ROTATION AND AVOID GRAPHICS BUGS.

TO CHANGE COLOR, EDIT THE "#ffb9090b" TO ANOTHER HEX COLOR. IN ALL FILES EXCEPT FOR THE ANDROID MANIFEST.

───────────────────────────────────
Android Manifest.xml:

Change line 5: android:screenOrientation="portrait" to android:screenOrientation="sensor"
Change line 29: android:screenOrientation="landscape" to android:screenOrientation="sensor"

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<manifest android:versionCode="259" android:versionName="1.4.0 build 259" android:installLocation="auto" package="com.netflix.mediaclient"
  xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android">
    <application android:theme="@android:style/Theme.NoTitleBar" android:label="@string/app_name" android:icon="@drawable/icon" android:name=".NetflixApplication" android:debuggable="false">
        <activity android:label="@string/app_name" android:name=".UIWebViewActivity" android:enabled="@bool/phone" android:finishOnTaskLaunch="false" android:clearTaskOnLaunch="true" android:launchMode="singleTop" android:screenOrientation="sensor" android:configChanges="keyboardHidden|orientation" android:alwaysRetainTaskState="true" android:allowTaskReparenting="true" android:windowSoftInputMode="stateVisible|adjustResize" android:noHistory="false">
            <intent-filter>
                <action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />
                <category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER" />
            </intent-filter>
            <intent-filter>
                <action android:name="android.intent.action.VIEW" />
                <category android:name="android.intent.category.DEFAULT" />
                <category android:name="android.intent.category.BROWSABLE" />
                <data android:scheme="nflx" android:host="www.netflix.com" />
            </intent-filter>
        </activity>
        <activity android:label="@string/app_name" android:name=".UIWebViewTabletActivity" android:enabled="@bool/tablet" android:finishOnTaskLaunch="false" android:clearTaskOnLaunch="true" android:launchMode="singleTop" android:configChanges="keyboardHidden|orientation" android:alwaysRetainTaskState="true" android:allowTaskReparenting="true" android:windowSoftInputMode="stateVisible|adjustResize" android:noHistory="false">
            <intent-filter>
            </intent-filter>
            <intent-filter>
            </intent-filter>
        </activity>
        <activity android:theme="@android:style/Theme.NoTitleBar.Fullscreen" android:label="@string/app_name" android:name=".PlayerActivity" android:screenOrientation="sensor" android:configChanges="orientation" android:noHistory="false" />
    </application>
    <uses-feature android:name="android.hardware.telephony" android:required="false" />
    <uses-feature android:name="android.hardware.wifi" android:required="false" />
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.INTERNET" />
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE" />
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_WIFI_STATE" />
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE" />
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.WAKE_LOCK" />
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.READ_LOGS" />
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" />
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.GET_TASKS" />
    <uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="8" android:targetSdkVersion="11" />
</manifest

\res\layout folder

playout_splash.xml
<!--
Edited Line 4: android:layout_gravity="bottom|center" to android:layout_gravity="center"
removed android:layout_marginBottom="150.0dip"
Edited Line 5: android:layout_marginBottom="100.0dip" to android:layout_marginBottom="90.0dip"
Dblfstr
-->

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<FrameLayout android:orientation="vertical" android:id="@id/top_panel" android:background="#ffb9090b" android:visibility="visible" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="fill_parent"
    <ImageView android:layout_gravity="center" android:id="@id/logo" android:visibility="visible" android:layout_width="202.0dip" android:layout_height="62.0dip" android:src="@drawable/logo_splash" />
    <ProgressBar android:layout_gravity="bottom|center" android:id="@id/pb_loading" android:visibility="visible" android:layout_width="30.0dip" android:layout_height="30.0dip" android:layout_marginBottom="90.0dip" android:indeterminate="true" android:indeterminateOnly="true" android:soundEffectsEnabled="false" style="?android:progressBarStyleSmallInverse" />
    <TextView android:textSize="14.0dip" android:textColor="#ffffffff" android:layout_gravity="bottom|center" android:id="@id/label_loading" android:visibility="visible" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:layout_marginBottom="50.0dip" android:text="@string/label_ps_loading" />
<!--
		Edited Line 4: 	android:layout_gravity="bottom|center" to android:layout_gravity="center"
		Edited Line 5: 	android:layout_marginBottom="100.0dip" to android:layout_marginBottom="90.0dip"
		Dblfstr
	-->
</FrameLayout>

\res\layout folder

ui_splash.xml
<!--
Edited Line 4: android:layout_gravity="bottom|center" to android:layout_gravity="center"
Edited Line 5: android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content" to android:layout_width="30.0dip" android:layout_height="30.0dip" and "android:layout_marginTop="80.0dip"
Dblfstr
-->

Code:
<RelativeLayout android:id="@id/FrameLayout" android:background="#ffb9090b" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="fill_parent"
    <ImageView android:layout_gravity="center" android:id="@id/logo" android:visibility="visible" android:layout_width="202.0dip" android:layout_height="62.0dip" android:src="@drawable/logo_splash" android:layout_centerInParent="true" />
    <ProgressBar android:id="@id/ui_load" android:visibility="visible" android:layout_width="30.0dip" android:layout_height="30.0dip" android:layout_marginTop="80.0dip" android:indeterminate="true" android:indeterminateOnly="true" android:layout_below="@id/logo" android:layout_centerInParent="true" android:soundEffectsEnabled="false" />
	<!--
		Edited Line 4: 	android:layout_gravity="bottom|center" to android:layout_gravity="center"
		Edited Line 5: 	android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content" to android:layout_width="30.0dip" android:layout_height="30.0dip" and "android:layout_marginTop="80.0dip"
		Dblfstr
	-->
</RelativeLayout>

\res\layout folder

webview.xml
<!--
Edited line 2; android:background hex values
-->

Code:
<LinearLayout android:orientation="vertical" android:id="@id/address" android:background="#ffb9090b" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="fill_parent"
    <LinearLayout android:orientation="vertical" android:id="@id/go_button" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="fill_parent"
        <WebView android:id="@id/ui" android:background="@drawable/splash" android:visibility="visible" android:scrollbars="none" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="fill_parent" />
    </LinearLayout>
	<!--
	Edited line 2; 	android:background hex values
	-->
</LinearLayout>

all of this code is found in the attached .txt file. Remember to save each bit of code as a separate file and replace in your Netflix.apk.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sine. and Scott

bklizard

Sep 10, 2011
Richmond, VA
OK, so I tried to modify these .xml files... so far, I haven't been able to open them up successfully. So my noob-ish question is, "what editor do I use to open these up?" Standard XML editors found in Windows/Office doesn't show them right. :confused:

Or can I just replace the files altogether by copying and pasting the stuff in the post? ... I will try that first, I guess...

Update1:
So I extracted the files for editing, and then replaced all the lines in those files (which by the way, opened up to show some weird encoding) using Notepad++ ... I was able to replace all the stuff anyways, and I saved it. Re-packed the apk... Nothing changed. What am I missing??

Update 2:
I think my problem now is finding out how I can recompile the file and be able to either keep the signature or make a valid signature. I say this because now all I get when I try to install the modifed apk it says "error parsing file" or "... not signed correctly"

I give up! I tried and took a few shots at it, but I guess I am missing something. Oh well... :mad:

Last edited:

Dblfstr

Mar 25, 2010
OK, so I tried to modify these .xml files... so far, I haven't been able to open them up successfully. So my noob-ish question is, "what editor do I use to open these up?" Standard XML editors found in Windows/Office doesn't show them right. :confused:

Or can I just replace the files altogether by copying and pasting the stuff in the post? ... I will try that first, I guess...

Update1:
So I extracted the files for editing, and then replaced all the lines in those files (which by the way, opened up to show some weird encoding) using Notepad++ ... I was able to replace all the stuff anyways, and I saved it. Re-packed the apk... Nothing changed. What am I missing??

Update 2:
I think my problem now is finding out how I can recompile the file and be able to either keep the signature or make a valid signature. I say this because now all I get when I try to install the modifed apk it says "error parsing file" or "... not signed correctly"

I give up! I tried and took a few shots at it, but I guess I am missing something. Oh well... :mad:

Simple tutorial added that may assist you.

Yes, the app has to be decompiled before you can edit the .xml files.

You will need to build the app after you made your changes.

Then zip the app

then sign the app.

ASimmons

Retired Recognized Developer
May 4, 2010
Tampa Bay
I saw this on the front page Congrats! I'm wondering if this was disable because there are several instances of tabbed views leaking activities when the orientation is changed. A good test would be to link up ddms to the app and repeatedly change the orientation and see if the memory gets eattin up.

Reactions: Dblfstr

Dblfstr

Mar 25, 2010
WOW, made it to the portal. That is awesome. Hopefully someone can benefit from this thread.

:D

SX86

May 10, 2010
QC
Screen Orientation + High Resolution Support

Is it possible to do any of those steps directly on the device itself ? For those who don't have access to computers on a regular basis...

Also, would you know which property(ies) I would have to change to get an app to fill the whole screen instead of a small part surrounded by black bars ?
I'm referring to the Canadian Sirius Radio app... It used to render correctly on my Droid1/Milestone, but now with my Droid3/XT860, the screen resolution as changed and it doesn't seem to be "programmed" to support larger screen resolution (qHD).

If I can implement both fixes, yours and mine, I'll be a happy man !

xan

Retired Recognized Developer
May 21, 2006
Crack-ow
Looks ok, but as a developer I can tell you that most apps will break because of faulty design. Setting stick orientation is a workaround for their lesser API knowledge used by many beginning developers. I did it myself, stopped doing that when I learned more. Most of hacked apps will experience memory leaks, some of them FCs.

Anyway idea is great :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is just a simple tutorial about enabling screen rotation to apps that do not rotate automatically when you turn your device. It is really a TUT on how to open an apk and edit the androidmanifest.xml file. Pretty simple.

Easy:

1. Decompile the Application.apk with apktool
    2. Edit the androidmanifest with Notepad++
    3. Build the Application.apk with apktool
    4. Sign the apk with autosign.

Detailed:

You will need some tools:
    Android SDK: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
    APK Tool: http://code.google.com/p/android-apktool/
    Notepad++: http://notepad-plus-plus.org/
    A signing tool: Google "auto-sign apk"
    An archiving tool: Plenty of them out there cable of .zip files
    After you get this figured out, move on to step 1.

I do this from my desktop, so this is written as such.

Step 1. Decompile the Application.apk with apktool

B. Type apktool d C:/users/desktop/Netflix1.4.apk

(this refers to your desktop, so type the correct address for YOURS. However, I do not type, I drag and drop the Netflix.apk from my destop onto the cmd window)

C. Add a space then add destination directory "C:/users/destop/Netflixmod"
    Again, your address of wherever you are working, and whetever you want to call the destination folder. For this I also drag and drop the same file, and just remove the .apk text.

D. Hit enter
    Code:
    apktool d C:\users\desktop\Netflix1.4.apk "C:\users\desktop\Netflixmod"

Your desktop address will be different than what I have typed, your Netflix app or whatever app you are decompiling will be different and your destination address and directory name will be different. DO NOT COPY PASTE THIS CODE INTO YOUR CMD LINE.

Step 2. Edit the androidmanifest with Notepad++

In the folder that you just created on your desktop (or wherever you are working) There is a file called androidmanifest.xml
    Open this file with Notepad++ and edit the following lines:

Save the file.

Step 3. Build the Application.apk with apktool
    apktool b C:\users\desktop\Netflixmod

This will build the application in the same folder that you are working in (i.e. "Netflixmod" folder) You can specify a new directory if you want, but I do not.
    There will now be a folder named "Build" within the "Netflixmod" folder.
    B. Copy the "Assets" folder into the "build" folder. (apktool leaves this out, but it is important).
    C. Zip the contents of the build folder into a .zip file called apk.zip. (do not zip the Build folder, just everything inside of it INCLUDING THE ASSETS FOLDER!)
    D. Rename the apk.zip file to apk.apk file.

Step 4. Sign the apk with autosign.
    Here is all of the code that I changed in the Netflix1.4 app to enable rotation and fix graphic bugs.

You can copy paste this into a text editor like Notepad++ and save as /.xml files. Then replace the files in your decompiled app with these. Or you can download the text file attached and create separate files out of each section of code.

New Netflix 1.4 Updated 9/09/2011

BELOW ARE THE FILES THAT NEED TO BE EDITED TO ENABLE ROTATION AND AVOID GRAPHICS BUGS.

TO CHANGE COLOR, EDIT THE "#ffb9090b" TO ANOTHER HEX COLOR. IN ALL FILES EXCEPT FOR THE ANDROID MANIFEST.

Android Manifest.xml:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <manifest android:versionCode="259" android:versionName="1.4.0 build 259" android:installLocation="auto" package="com.netflix.mediaclient"
        <application android:theme="@android:style/Theme.NoTitleBar" android:label="@string/app_name" android:icon="@drawable/icon" android:name=".NetflixApplication" android:debuggable="false">
            <activity android:label="@string/app_name" android:name=".UIWebViewActivity" android:enabled="@bool/phone" android:finishOnTaskLaunch="false" android:clearTaskOnLaunch="true" android:launchMode="singleTop" android:screenOrientation="sensor" android:configChanges="keyboardHidden|orientation" android:alwaysRetainTaskState="true" android:allowTaskReparenting="true" android:windowSoftInputMode="stateVisible|adjustResize" android:noHistory="false">
                <intent-filter>
                </intent-filter>
                <intent-filter>
                </intent-filter>
            </activity>
            <activity android:label="@string/app_name" android:name=".UIWebViewTabletActivity" android:enabled="@bool/tablet" android:finishOnTaskLaunch="false" android:clearTaskOnLaunch="true" android:launchMode="singleTop" android:configChanges="keyboardHidden|orientation" android:alwaysRetainTaskState="true" android:allowTaskReparenting="true" android:windowSoftInputMode="stateVisible|adjustResize" android:noHistory="false">
                <intent-filter>
                </intent-filter>
                <intent-filter>
                </intent-filter>
            </activity>
            <activity android:theme="@android:style/Theme.NoTitleBar.Fullscreen" android:label="@string/app_name" android:name=".PlayerActivity" android:screenOrientation="sensor" android:configChanges="orientation" android:noHistory="false" />
        </application>
        <uses-feature android:name="android.hardware.telephony" android:required="false" />
        <uses-feature android:name="android.hardware.wifi" android:required="false" />
        <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.INTERNET" />
        <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE" />
        <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_WIFI_STATE" />
        <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE" />
        <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.WAKE_LOCK" />
        <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.READ_LOGS" />
        <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" />
        <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.GET_TASKS" />
        <uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="8" android:targetSdkVersion="11" />
    </manifest

\res\layout folder

playout_splash.xml
    <!--
    Edited Line 5: android:layout_marginBottom="100.0dip" to android:layout_marginBottom="90.0dip"
    Dblfstr
    -->

Code:
    <FrameLayout android:orientation="vertical" android:id="@id/top_panel" android:background="#ffb9090b" android:visibility="visible" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="fill_parent"
        <ImageView android:layout_gravity="center" android:id="@id/logo" android:visibility="visible" android:layout_width="202.0dip" android:layout_height="62.0dip" android:src="@drawable/logo_splash" />
        <ProgressBar android:layout_gravity="bottom|center" android:id="@id/pb_loading" android:visibility="visible" android:layout_width="30.0dip" android:layout_height="30.0dip" android:layout_marginBottom="90.0dip" android:indeterminate="true" android:indeterminateOnly="true" android:soundEffectsEnabled="false" style="?android:progressBarStyleSmallInverse" />
        <TextView android:textSize="14.0dip" android:textColor="#ffffffff" android:layout_gravity="bottom|center" android:id="@id/label_loading" android:visibility="visible" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:layout_marginBottom="50.0dip" android:text="@string/label_ps_loading" />
    <!--
    		Edited Line 5: 	android:layout_marginBottom="100.0dip" to android:layout_marginBottom="90.0dip"
    		Dblfstr
    	-->
    </FrameLayout>

\res\layout folder

ui_splash.xml
    <!--
    Edited Line 5: android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content" to android:layout_width="30.0dip" android:layout_height="30.0dip" and "android:layout_marginTop="80.0dip"
    Dblfstr
    -->

Code:
    <RelativeLayout android:id="@id/FrameLayout" android:background="#ffb9090b" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="fill_parent"
        <ImageView android:layout_gravity="center" android:id="@id/logo" android:visibility="visible" android:layout_width="202.0dip" android:layout_height="62.0dip" android:src="@drawable/logo_splash" android:layout_centerInParent="true" />
        <ProgressBar android:id="@id/ui_load" android:visibility="visible" android:layout_width="30.0dip" android:layout_height="30.0dip" android:layout_marginTop="80.0dip" android:indeterminate="true" android:indeterminateOnly="true" android:layout_below="@id/logo" android:layout_centerInParent="true" android:soundEffectsEnabled="false" />
    	<!--
    		Edited Line 5: 	android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content" to android:layout_width="30.0dip" android:layout_height="30.0dip" and "android:layout_marginTop="80.0dip"
    		Dblfstr
    	-->
    </RelativeLayout>

\res\layout folder

webview.xml
    <!--
    Edited line 2; android:background hex values
    -->

Code:
    <LinearLayout android:orientation="vertical" android:id="@id/address" android:background="#ffb9090b" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="fill_parent"
        <LinearLayout android:orientation="vertical" android:id="@id/go_button" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="fill_parent"
            <WebView android:id="@id/ui" android:background="@drawable/splash" android:visibility="visible" android:scrollbars="none" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="fill_parent" />
        </LinearLayout>
    	<!--
    	Edited line 2; 	android:background hex values
    	-->
    </LinearLayout>

all of this code is found in the attached .txt file. Remember to save each bit of code as a separate file and replace in your Netflix.apk.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=17446113#post17446113

All Credit goes to Dblfstr!

Sent from A Van Down By The River!
    Worked like a charm dblfstr. Thanks.
    Simple tutorial added.

Suggestions welcome

Thanks