[Q] Is it possible to flash a kernel from fastboot?

Search This thread

smarmytime

Sep 7, 2010
Old Bridge
I'm trying to install bcblend on my evo, but I'm dealing with the 1.50 hboot, so even though my phone is rooted (currently running Eternity 1.2.2), evidently I can't flash a kernel from recovery. Can I do it from fastboot? If so, what would the command be? I can't quite suss it out myself...my windows command line skills are weak.

triscuit1983

Apr 9, 2009
Laurel
I'm trying to install bcblend on my evo, but I'm dealing with the 1.50 hboot, so even though my phone is rooted (currently running Eternity 1.2.2), evidently I can't flash a kernel from recovery. Can I do it from fastboot? If so, what would the command be? I can't quite suss it out myself...my windows command line skills are weak.

There are some instructions here on how to do that...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1239821

J

j4n87

You need s-off to flash radios and also kernels - correct me if iam wrong.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using xda premium

joeykrim

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 9, 2009
You need s-off to flash radios and also kernels - correct me if iam wrong.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using xda premium
need either s-off or htc unlock method to flash kernels.

if using fastboot to boot the recovery and then flashing kernels from there doesnt work, the only other options i've seen for htc unlocked s-on devices would be to fastboot flash the kernel .img .. downside is you'll have to manually load the modules.

from all the posts, seems fastboot boot recovery and loading a kernel from that fastboot boot'd recovery should work.

keep in mind, you'll always have to fastboot boot recovery.img while using htc's unlock method if you want to flash kernels or ROMs which contain kernels. this is due to a limitation in htc's unlock method not allowing the boot (kernel) partition to be flashed from standard recovery mode.

3bony3dge

Oct 4, 2011
Chattanooga
need either s-off or htc unlock method to flash kernels.

if using fastboot to boot the recovery and then flashing kernels from there doesnt work, the only other options i've seen for htc unlocked s-on devices would be to fastboot flash the kernel .img .. downside is you'll have to manually load the modules.

from all the posts, seems fastboot boot recovery and loading a kernel from that fastboot boot'd recovery should work.

keep in mind, you'll always have to fastboot boot recovery.img while using htc's unlock method if you want to flash kernels or ROMs which contain kernels. this is due to a limitation in htc's unlock method not allowing the boot (kernel) partition to be flashed from standard recovery mode.

Exactly...fastboot into recovery and you can flash whatever you like....works like a charm.

smarmytime

Sep 7, 2010
Old Bridge
The method posted in post #2 was the method I had originally used - I did the HTC unlock, then followed the directions. I was able to flash a ROM, which is great - the ROM I'm using is snappier than stock, and the battery life is significantly better, but I was hoping to be able to flash custom kernels as well. If I can't, it's not the biggest deal in the world (pretty much the definition of 1st world problems), but it's frustrating. Step by step, I had done exactly what that said to do.

Ah well...not to be with this phone, unless someone figures out another way to get around the 1.50 hboot. Thanks, guys.

Top Liked Posts