[Root]How to Root Note2 [N7100] & keep flash counter 0

Search This thread

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
It's strange that this custom recovery doesn't boot after Triangle Away. To be honest, I have not tried custom recovery at all (like CWM) as I'm moving away from it completely. Do you guys all root through custom recovery or something? (I didn't)

However, Triangle Away's special mode is itself a custom recovery - and that boots up fine! So the problem must be the custom recovery itself.

chemcup

Jun 6, 2012
This method not 100% works
The system status after wipe cache and data is 'official' but after reboot it 'custom' agein reboot 'official' and so on

Chainfire

Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Regarding the recovery thing, I'm totally unsure what is going on here. I've just tried it again. I have normal stock recovery, run Triangle Away, it reboots, reset counter, boot up device, turn off device, hold volUp+Home+Power to boot, and voila, there's stock recovery again.

As you might understand, I need to be able to reproduce the issue before I can even attempt to fix anything.

Reactions: dr.ketan

moom999

Feb 23, 2010
This method not 100% works
The system status after wipe cache and data is 'official' but after reboot it 'custom' agein reboot 'official' and so on

it is the same happened too 'official' reboot it 'custom' ageing reboot 'official' and so on

---------- Post added at 12:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 AM ----------

You need to run TriangleAway again after wipe.

i did still the same

DMax99

Aug 30, 2010
Hey doc...is the recovery you posted in the first post the stock one?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

It's strange that this custom recovery doesn't boot after Triangle Away. To be honest, I have not tried custom recovery at all (like CWM) as I'm moving away from it completely. Do you guys all root through custom recovery or something? (I didn't)

However, Triangle Away's special mode is itself a custom recovery - and that boots up fine! So the problem must be the custom recovery itself.

How did you root without custom recovery?

moom999

Feb 23, 2010
Now after few reboot system status is custom doesn’t change to official only when wipe cache and data
But after restore apps it goes back custom

DMax99

Aug 30, 2010
I think we should just be happy with root + cwm atm....until the problem gets solved or when we need to claim warranty

Reactions: aaronium

dr.ketan

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Still this method is useful in certain conditions like, your device can not boot up normally, here this is useful if your counter is set to '0' already.
Regarding system status, even if it is 'custom' for any reason you can wipe cache and data from recovery Or you can flash rom from download mode to set it to 'official'
Main issue was counter that can't be solved in soft bricked device.
With this method you can keep flash counter '0' with keeping root and recover intact.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

chemcup

Jun 6, 2012
Still this method is useful in certain conditions like, your device can not boot up normally, here this is useful if your counter is set to '0' already.
Regarding system status, even if it is 'custom' for any reason you can wipe cache and data from recovery Or you can flash rom from download mode to set it to 'official'
Main issue was counter that can't be solved in soft bricked device.
With this method you can keep flash counter '0' with keeping root and recover intact.

but what is the side effect if it stays custom?

dr.ketan

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
but what is the side effect if it stays custom?

I am not sure, whether it voids warranty. That's why I advised to set it official. But to set it to official is easy and can be done on soft bricked device.
Important thing is to reset counter.

Last edited:

Chainfire

Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Please Can you share? :)

I thought this was understood by now - you can't keep the counter at 0 and status on official while running a custom kernel or recovery (cwm) ...

Anyways, yes, the counter being 0 is the important part. The official state can usually be regained if when softbricked. When hardbricked, the status can't be checked. The very most important part is that when it becomes warranty time, we can reset all statusses by resetting and flashing full stock firmware.

Reactions: dr.ketan

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For detail guide about how to root N7100 -
    Read
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1896696
    Post # 2 and 3 of above said thread

---------------------------------------------------------------
    This guide basically written when there was only available method to root device was flashing chenglu's recovery, which was causing to raise flash counter 1 even after triangle away. That was due to samsung's bootloader for Note 2 which have autosum check for recovery. So if you are using any custom recovery your flash counter will raise to 1. Also read this if you want to use CWM recovery and want to reset counter at every boot.

Later Chainfire have introduce 'Cf Auto root' and in that case no need to use this tutorial as CF auto root package includes stock recovery.

Still this guide is useful who have flashed CWM and want to move to stock recovery with reseting counter '0'

Here is guide How to reset counter to '0' and keep device rooted

All credits to Chainfire and chenglu, without their amazing tool we can't have this......

-If you have rooted with CWM recovery
    - Your device will have CWM recoovery with root access.
    - Download this stock recovery OR This latest stock recovery from LL7 which believe to be patched by samsung.
    - Flash with PC Odin for PDA tab.
    - Reset counter with Triangle away
    - Now your counter will be '0' and you will have now stock recovery but root access will be intact
    - You will have binnary count '0' but system status still will be 'custom'
    - Reboot to recovery, wipe cache and data
    (this step is just for keeping status' official '
    You can skip if you have too much data, as this status can be achieved even in semibricked condition by wiping from recovery Or by flashing stock rom from download mode. And in hard bricked this status can't be read :p) important thing is to just keep count' 0'.

- You will have binary count '0' and current binary 'official' as well system status 'official'
    - with latest bootloader you can't achieve system status 'official' with wipe cache and data too, in that case you may need to reflash stock ROM, reboot normally, play for 10 min and it should be 'official'

New :
    How to change system status 'Modified' to 'Normal' in device setting without factory reset.

you can enjoy full root access without worrying of warranty

:)
    No No
    This is bootloader bug
    while entering recovery just release power button once splash screen appear, above said error will go, and you can entre to recovery.
    Plz remove quating of full post.
    Now Chainfire have added 'CF Auto Root' to keep counter '0' with Stock recovery

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=31801060&postcount=2

Moderator can close this thread Now
    Mobile Odin Pro flashcounter raise is fixed in version 3.40 afaik :)

Mobile odin 3.40 itself first version which have add Note 2 support.
    And i have tried (as well many other user reported) that to flash stock recovery, but it does raise counter.
    Hi guys where is the flash counter these posts r making me paranoid. Right now I flashed like 3 or 4 things but where is the counter???

Vol down +home+power and enter ind download mode.on the upper left screen you see three or four lines.One of them saying something like current binary status

Sent from the Beast