Optimus G car home .apk?

Search This thread

dfullerman

Mar 7, 2010
San Antonio
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could post there car home .apk as Google has stopped development and support for it, and there original version does not run properly on Ice Cream Sandwich and above. But, I was noticing at Best Buy today that Optimus G owners have an updated version included with there factory rom. If someone could post that for the rest of us perhaps we can get it to run properly on other newer android devices?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

xxbeanxx

Sep 19, 2010
Conception Bay South
I can't find any car home or dock home apk. I also used nova launcher to search for anything that looked like a dock activity but could find nothing.

Edit: I have a bell optimus g.

xxbeanxx

Sep 19, 2010
Conception Bay South

I tried these files (in /system/app) but it seems like the app's dock intent isn't registering.
I tried to force the device into car dock mode using the magnet method, and I get the car dock icon in the status bar but the app doesn't launch.
I also can't seem to find any activity that I could use to launch it manually.
I don't really have time to troubleshoot but if someone else figures it out could you post it here?

edit: meh, <uses-sdk minSdkVersion="16" targetSdkVersion="16"/>
Android 4.0.4 is SDK v15.

Last edited:

nericus

Oct 10, 2007
I tried these files (in /system/app) but it seems like the app's dock intent isn't registering.
I tried to force the device into car dock mode using the magnet method, and I get the car dock icon in the status bar but the app doesn't launch.
I also can't seem to find any activity that I could use to launch it manually.
I don't really have time to troubleshoot but if someone else figures it out could you post it here?

edit: meh, <uses-sdk minSdkVersion="16" targetSdkVersion="16"/>
Android 4.0.4 is SDK v15.

Huh, TIL.

Tried it on my E970 with a little NeoD magnet right under Volume Down. Mine launches and foregrounds CarHome (and I'm running 4.0.4). First time I had to remove and replace the magnet, but after that, it came up each time.

Now, to find a dock for this....

Attachments

• CarHome.zip
    531.2 KB · Views: 159

xxbeanxx

Sep 19, 2010
Conception Bay South
Huh, TIL.

Tried it on my E970 with a little NeoD magnet right under Volume Down. Mine launches and foregrounds CarHome (and I'm running 4.0.4). First time I had to remove and replace the magnet, but after that, it came up each time.

Now, to find a dock for this....

I tried again with the attached APK and this time had a computer close by to troubleshoot.
Am noticing this in the logcat after boot:

Code:
W/PackageManager(  389): StaleDexCacheError when reading apk: /system/app/CarHome.apk
W/PackageManager(  389): dalvik.system.StaleDexCacheError: /system/app/CarHome.apk

I haven't seen this error before so I'll have to google a bit to figure out what's going on here.

---------- Post added at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

Figured it out. I deodexed the CarHome apk from the AT&T rom posted in their Optimus G forum.
If you're interested in doing it yourself, grab the rom from this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2067871.

Next, extract system/framework to a folder somewhere and the system/app/CarHome.apk and system/app/CarHome.odex files somewhere else.

Use baksmali to decompile the odex file:
Code:
java -jar baksmali.jar -d frameworkDir -x CarHome.odex

It will produce an out folder with the smali files; use smali to recompile these:
Code:
java -jar smali.jar out

Rename the resulting out.dex file to classes.dex and inject it into CarHome.apk (I used 7zip to do this).
Put the resulting apk in /system/app and reboot.

The apk I created is here, in case anyone doesn't want to go through the mess of manually deodexing: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/454322/CarHome.apk

Last edited:

guib2c

Oct 4, 2012
Hello,

I have bought the Optimus G (French version - E975) and I don't find how to launch the car dock using magnet. I used to have this option on my old Motorola Defy with official car dock but before buying a new car dock for the Optimus G, I want to be sure that it exists a car dock that allow automatic car mode using magnet option but It seams that on E975 there is no magnet detection inside...

Someone can help me please?

Kind regards,
Guillaume.

nericus

Oct 10, 2007
Hello,
I have bought the Optimus G (French version - E975) and I don't find how to launch the car dock using magnet. I used to have this option on my old Motorola Defy with official car dock but before buying a new car dock for the Optimus G, I want to be sure that it exists a car dock that allow automatic car mode using magnet option but It seams that on E975 there is no magnet detection inside...

If the phone has the Car app installed, but doesn't respond to a magnet, they might've removed that functionality.

You have tried running a magnet on it? If you're looking at the device, on the back, below (towards USB) the volume toggle, if I put a little Neodynium magnet there, Car mode engages automatically.

Of course, I never did find a dock, but I can't say I looked too hard either.

guib2c

Oct 4, 2012
If the phone has the Car app installed, but doesn't respond to a magnet, they might've removed that functionality.

You have tried running a magnet on it? If you're looking at the device, on the back, below (towards USB) the volume toggle, if I put a little Neodynium magnet there, Car mode engages automatically.

Of course, I never did find a dock, but I can't say I looked too hard either.

I don't know where to place exactly the magnet (2cms on the right of the 'G' of LG logo ?) and if my magnet is a Neodynium magnet or not...
I tried with the car dock that I used for the Motorola and with some magnets that I put on my fridge and it didn't works at all...

nericus

Oct 10, 2007
I don't know where to place exactly the magnet (2cms on the right of the 'G' of LG logo ?) and if my magnet is a Neodynium magnet or not...
I tried with the car dock that I used for the Motorola and with some magnets that I put on my fridge and it didn't works at all...

Neodynium magnets are the silver ones that are reallllly fragile. They're also silly-strong.

Here's a pic of the back of my LS970, with me holding a little NeoD magnet in tweezers where it triggers car mode on mine.

Attachments

• carmode.jpg
    carmode.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 253

guib2c

Oct 4, 2012
Muskett amewfo

Neodynium magnets are the silver ones that are reallllly fragile. They're also silly-strong.

Here's a pic of the back of my LS970, with me holding a little NeoD magnet in tweezers where it triggers car mode on mine.

Thanks a lot nericus. I will try when I will found a Neodynium magnet... ;)

Top Liked Posts