Do unlock codes allow bootloader unlocking?

Search This thread

redeuxx

Aug 31, 2010
USA
ribbed.us
I currently have a rooted AT&T Moto X. I want to be able to unlock my bootloader so I can install other ROMs. My question is, if I purchase an unlock key from one of the sites on the Internet, will this allow me to unlock the bootloader? ... or is this just a SIM unlock? Is it maybe possible to bootloader unlock my AT&T phone without purchasing an unlock key? I've looked but I've yet to run into any documentation that says I can.

Much thanks for any help.

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
I currently have a rooted AT&T Moto X. I want to be able to unlock my bootloader so I can install other ROMs. My question is, if I purchase an unlock key from one of the sites on the Internet, will this allow me to unlock the bootloader? ... or is this just a SIM unlock? Is it maybe possible to bootloader unlock my AT&T phone without purchasing an unlock key? I've looked but I've yet to run into any documentation that says I can.

Much thanks for any help.
i'vve seen no sites selling bootloader unlock codes for the Moto X. (Other than that Chinese site/middleman deal)

What you are seeing are likely only SIM unlock codes for sale.

The info/thread on the Chinese site/middleman being back is the only way to obtain a bootloader unlock code for the ATT X.

There is no way to unlock the bootloader without the code.

jamesino

Sep 30, 2012
i'vve seen no sites selling bootloader unlock codes for the Moto X. (Other than that Chinese site/middleman deal)

What you are seeing are likely only SIM unlock codes for sale.

The info/thread on the Chinese site/middleman being back is the only way to obtain a bootloader unlock code for the ATT X.

There is no way to unlock the bootloader without the code.

Does unlocking the bootloader also unlock the SIM? I'm on Verizon, it doesn't seem like I've ever had to manipulate a SIM card in anyway. Is it because CDMA carrier don't use it?

KidJoe

Aug 23, 2008
Does unlocking the bootloader also unlock the SIM? I'm on Verizon, it doesn't seem like I've ever had to manipulate a SIM card in anyway. Is it because CDMA carrier don't use it?

Unlocking the bootloader and sim unlocking are two different things.

Unlocking the bootloader allows you to flash/install unsigned or 3rd party supplied parts/partitions (like recovery, modified or custom roms, etc), and that in turn allows you to easily root. Motorola gives out the Bootloader unlock codes for the Developer Edition X and some carrier editions (like T-Mobile and Sprint). For ATT and Verizon (non-developer), Moto does NOT give out the codes (likely due to carrier's wishes). No one has cracked the bootloader lock on the X yet, so to bootloader unlock the Verizon (non-Dev) and ATT X the Chinese Website/Middleman selling the bootloader unlock codes is the only way you'll be able to do this.

SIM unlocking allows you to use the SIM from other carriers in your phone.

Phones that are purely CDMA/EVDO only, like the HTC Incredible, Original Motorola Droid, etc, do not use a SIM and therefore there is no "SIM" unlocking for them. Those phones have an ESN burned into them. The carriers only accept ESN numbers of phones which were made for them (couldn't take a CDMA/EVDO phone from another carrier and use it on Verizon because VZW wouldn't allow the ESN). Verizon's phone's started using SIM slots when they added GSM Global Roaming to phones like the Blackberry 9930 and such. They were sim locked to Vodafone (Verizon's international roaming partner). They could be SIM unlocked for global roaming by calling Verizon's international department directly and requesting the SIM unlock code. Usually telling them something like "I am traveling over seas and I want to use a local pre-paid SIM when I get there), can I have the SIM unlock code for my phone?" would get you the code.

With the introduction of LTE, Verizon is using SIM cards for both LTE and GSM. Verizon's LTE phones are SIM unlocked due to the FCC rules around the 700Mhz C block auction they won years ago. The Moto X, Galaxy S4, Galaxy S5, and others are all SIM unlocked right out of the box. Other carriers like ATT and T-Mobile, ship their phones SIM locked, so to put a T-Mobile SIM in an ATT phone, you need to SIM unlock it first. The exception being something like the X where T-Mobile doesn't sell it directly, Moto does, and ships a SIM unlocked version with a T-Mobile sim.

androiddoglover6969

Oct 16, 2013

Unlocking the bootloader allows you to flash/install unsigned or 3rd party supplied parts/partitions (like recovery, modified or custom roms, etc), and that in turn allows you to easily root. Motorola gives out the Bootloader unlock codes for the Developer Edition X and some carrier editions (like T-Mobile and Sprint). For ATT and Verizon (non-developer), Moto does NOT give out the codes (likely due to carrier's wishes). No one has cracked the bootloader lock on the X yet, so to bootloader unlock the Verizon (non-Dev) and ATT X the Chinese Website/Middleman selling the bootloader unlock codes is the only way you'll be able to do this.

Phones that are purely CDMA/EVDO only, like the HTC Incredible, Original Motorola Droid, etc, do not use a SIM and therefore there is no "SIM" unlocking for them. Those phones have an ESN burned into them. The carriers only accept ESN numbers of phones which were made for them (couldn't take a CDMA/EVDO phone from another carrier and use it on Verizon because VZW wouldn't allow the ESN). Verizon's phone's started using SIM slots when they added GSM Global Roaming to phones like the Blackberry 9930 and such. They were sim locked to Vodafone (Verizon's international roaming partner). They could be SIM unlocked for global roaming by calling Verizon's international department directly and requesting the SIM unlock code. Usually telling them something like "I am traveling over seas and I want to use a local pre-paid SIM when I get there), can I have the SIM unlock code for my phone?" would get you the code.

With the introduction of LTE, Verizon is using SIM cards for both LTE and GSM. Verizon's LTE phones are SIM unlocked due to the FCC rules around the 700Mhz C block auction they won years ago. The Moto X, Galaxy S4, Galaxy S5, and others are all SIM unlocked right out of the box. Other carriers like ATT and T-Mobile, ship their phones SIM locked, so to put a T-Mobile SIM in an ATT phone, you need to SIM unlock it first. The exception being something like the X where T-Mobile doesn't sell it directly, Moto does, and ships a SIM unlocked version with a T-Mobile sim.

Would it make sense to unlock the bootloader for republic wireless moto x?

KidJoe

Aug 23, 2008
Would it make sense to unlock the bootloader for republic wireless moto x?
It depends on what you want to do with your phone.

If you want to root no matter what RW pushes to your phone, and you don't mind voiding your warranty... then yes.

I don't have RW, but from what I understand, their Bootloader is locked, and like with Verizon and ATT, Moto doesn't give out the unlock codes for RW. So your only choice is the 3rd party Chinese website/middleman.

There is a thread for RW, and what can be done while the bootloader is locked. Its pretty much the same as VZW and ATT users... if you have 4.2.2 or 4.4 on your phone you can root and disable write protection by using SlapMyMoto/MotoWpNoMo processes, and if you want to run 4.4.2, you can make use of Safestrap (assuming your phone is still on 4.4 or lower to root it). BUT if you already have taken the 4.4.2 update, or flashed a 4.4.2 SBF, you are stuck unless you can unlock the boot loader.

androiddoglover6969

Oct 16, 2013
It depends on what you want to do with your phone.

If you want to root no matter what RW pushes to your phone, and you don't mind voiding your warranty... then yes.

I don't have RW, but from what I understand, their Bootloader is locked, and like with Verizon and ATT, Moto doesn't give out the unlock codes for RW. So your only choice is the 3rd party Chinese website/middleman.

There is a thread for RW, and what can be done while the bootloader is locked. Its pretty much the same as VZW and ATT users... if you have 4.2.2 or 4.4 on your phone you can root and disable write protection by using SlapMyMoto/MotoWpNoMo processes, and if you want to run 4.4.2, you can make use of Safestrap (assuming your phone is still on 4.4 or lower to root it). BUT if you already have taken the 4.4.2 update, or flashed a 4.4.2 SBF, you are stuck unless you can unlock the boot loader.

I did motowpnomo and disabled wp. I have 4.4.2 update with root using this guide

http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/general/guide-republic-wireless-moto-x-kitkat-4-t2738233

What I want to do is to get rid of this error message "com.motorola.process.system" ? I did everything I tried on google search.

safemode,
date&time
cache & dalvik cache

But one thing I have not done is factory reset. I am unsure I can do that to keep my root on 4.4.2. That is why I'm asking if I do bootloader unlocked, even if I screw up and lose my root or not, I will still be safe with root after because I have bootloader right?

Or if you can help me with any further information you seem to be very good in this area.

KidJoe

Aug 23, 2008
I did motowpnomo and disabled wp. I have 4.4.2 update with root using this guide

http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/general/guide-republic-wireless-moto-x-kitkat-4-t2738233
That is rooting, then using Safestrap to make use of 4.4.2... its more involved than unlocking the bootloader and rooting.

What I want to do is to get rid of this error message "com.motorola.process.system" ? I did everything I tried on google search.

safemode,
date&time
cache & dalvik cache

But one thing I have not done is factory reset. I am unsure I can do that to keep my root on 4.4.2. That is why I'm asking if I do bootloader unlocked, even if I screw up and lose my root or not, I will still be safe with root after because I have bootloader right?

Or if you can help me with any further information you seem to be very good in this area.
I don't use safestrap so I don't want to advise you, and possibly get it wrong.

I can say that once you unlock the bootloader, you can just flash a custom recovery, boot to the custom recovery and install SuperSU to gain root. This can be done no matter what rom is on your phone, even 4.4.2. You can factory reset, flash an SBF, take an OTA and still be able to root it. (of course some caveats apply in taking an OTA see -> HERE) And you can flash a custom/3rd party rom if you want too.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.