pre applied factory screen protector ?

Search This thread

ll_l_x_l_ll

Sep 1, 2007
Hi

is there a pre applied screen protector on the xperia play? Isit removable ?

Because i m lookin at used one right now in my hand and it has small scratch. But i almost see a screen protector too. Bu i coud be wrong

gunstar3035

Sep 2, 2010
Cobourg
Yes its there, ALL Xperia phones since x10 have it. It scratches very easily but will prevent the glass from cracking from a fall.

I ripped mine off as soon as I got in my car. Screen feels so smooth and so much nicer with it off, not all plastic and junky.

With my x10 I ripped it off the day I bought it, and it never ever got a scratch.

I bet the screen is perfect I say take a chance and buy it!

ll_l_x_l_ll

Sep 1, 2007
Yes its there, ALL Xperia phones since x10 have it. It scratches very easily but will prevent the glass from cracking from a fall.

I ripped mine off as soon as I got in my car. Screen feels so smooth and so much nicer with it off, not all plastic and junky.

With my x10 I ripped it off the day I bought it, and it never ever got a scratch.

I bet the screen is perfect I say take a chance and buy it!

How did you remove it ? I have been trying since forever

dsswoosh

Feb 6, 2011
Some Xperia Play's come with an 8gb sd card, some come with 16gb.

I believe the 8gb ones do not have the screen protector fitted, and the 16 gb ones do.

Mine came with 16 gb and a screen protector fitted. Maybe someone with an 8gb version could clarify that they didn't get one fitted?

Factory fitted screen protectors rock. No air bubbles, no dust, just a pure crisp clean fit.

I would advise leaving it on. You will never get it as good as they can.

AriStar

Mar 29, 2011

I believe the 8gb ones do not have the screen protector fitted, and the 16 gb ones do.

Mine came with 16 gb and a screen protector fitted. Maybe someone with an 8gb version could clarify that they didn't get one fitted?

Factory fitted screen protectors rock. No air bubbles, no dust, just a pure crisp clean fit.

im in canada, with 8GB, seems like its on there. it sucks cause it scratches easy.

ll_l_x_l_ll

Sep 1, 2007
I just lifted a corner with a needle very very carefully to the point where I could grip in and start pulling straight down and away from the phone. It will be tough but just keep going and it should just peel right off.

i cant figure it out. its an 8gb xperia. which is fine and enough for me. but i cant tell if thats a screen protector or the screen looks like it has a screen protector. i am almost positive it has a screen protector but i couldnt take out with my nails. usually i am able to with any screen protector i apply . but this one i cant even move it.

so either that its super hard to get out. or there is no screen protector but the screen it self has some sort of a layer that looks like a screen protector

gunstar3035

Sep 2, 2010
Cobourg

A) Yes the 8gb devices have the film...its not a screen protector its a FILM or a "shatter proof sheet". Read anything about it being scratch resistant? NO

B) It does NOT rock it makes the device feel cheap, and it does NOT protect against scratches, it picks many more up.

C) Its nice you would leave it on, but for the rest of us that dont want our device cheapened by that plastic JUNK on our screens, we will remove it. Thanks.

Its a STANDARD that SE apply to ALL their phones from the Xperia x10 up. Every device I have seen from SE (here in Ontario, Canada) has had one...they are annoying and I wish SE would stop using them.

axiomjunglist

Apr 12, 2011
Yeah the Arc has it too, it's driving people crazy. Officially it's listed as "Shatter proof sheet on scratch-resistant mineral glass".

People have reported success removing it carefully with an x-acto blade as well.

I left mine on and put another thin protector on top immediately after buying it, but I am a total klutz with my phones sometimes so I probably need the extra shatter-proof power :p

gunstar3035

Sep 2, 2010
Cobourg
I need more people to confirm it is removable, maybe a video.?

What, you don't take my word for it? Kidding but seriously...

I would have to be a pretty twisted horrible human being to WANT people to wreck their phones, I can promise that its A) Removable and B) Its better to do so.

I bet the light sensor would work better too!

I have been here for awhile, I'm no troll man. I will tell you what, when I get my Play I will record the whole process and throw it up on my youtube "gunstar1981" search me, I have a bunch of PS3 and 360 repair videos and stuff if you want, along with a Captivate review.

I removed it on my x10, and I will be damn sure to remove it on my Play or Arc (still STILL deciding : / )

*** EDIT: I seen it on both the Play and Arc in Rogers ***

Last edited:

AriStar

Mar 29, 2011
What, you don't take my word for it? Kidding but seriously...

I would have to be a pretty twisted horrible human being to WANT people to wreck their phones, I can promise that its A) Removable and B) Its better to do so.

I bet the light sensor would work better too!

I have been here for awhile, I'm no troll man. I will tell you what, when I get my Play I will record the whole process and throw it up on my youtube "gunstar1981" search me, I have a bunch of PS3 and 360 repair videos and stuff if you want, along with a Captivate review.

I removed it on my x10, and I will be damn sure to remove it on my Play or Arc (still STILL deciding : / )

*** EDIT: I seen it on both the Play and Arc in Rogers ***

I know, im just paranoid. that would be GREAT if you could post a video, specially with the play :)

ncaissie

May 15, 2011
im in canada, with 8GB, seems like its on there. it sucks cause it scratches easy.

Same here. I thought I scratched my screen. I'm so glad I found this thread.
I ordered some screen protectors from eBay. I put a cut up iPhone sp on it in the mean time. Lol so I guess I put a screen protector on a screen protector.

I thought it scratched too easy.

gunstar3035

Sep 2, 2010
Cobourg
I know, im just paranoid. that would be GREAT if you could post a video, specially with the play :)

No problem man.

Atleast with it off you have hardened Mineral Glass. I know other harder minerals like sand and such can scratch the screen but at that point keys should not. It has to be a mineral harder than the Glass to scratch it. With that stupid layer, anything seems to scratch it, even your finger nail could : /

I think I am going with the play though, I love the old school games. I just hope that the Rogers one comes with the pouch because I want to remove the film and NOT use a screen protector.

AriStar

Mar 29, 2011
No problem man.

Atleast with it off you have hardened Mineral Glass. I know other harder minerals like sand and such can scratch the screen but at that point keys should not. It has to be a mineral harder than the Glass to scratch it. With that stupid layer, anything seems to scratch it, even your finger nail could : /

I think I am going with the play though, I love the old school games. I just hope that the Rogers one comes with the pouch because I want to remove the film and NOT use a screen protector.

it does not come with a pouch. all it has is 8GB class2 card, earphones with so-so quality, and charger/battery. literally the bare minimum. no extra screen protector either not that i would want one of these crappy ones.

gunstar3035

Sep 2, 2010
Cobourg
it does not come with a pouch. all it has is 8GB class2 card, earphones with so-so quality, and charger/battery. literally the bare minimum. no extra screen protector either not that i would want one of these crappy ones.

That kinda sucks. I remember when the x10 launched, every video unboxing showed a leather case so when I bought mine (rogers, Cobourg Ontario Canada) it came with next to nothing as well...I wonder why they do that here : /

AriStar

Mar 29, 2011
That kinda sucks. I remember when the x10 launched, every video unboxing showed a leather case so when I bought mine (rogers, Cobourg Ontario Canada) it came with next to nothing as well...I wonder why they do that here : /

i know. but what can we do, im stuck with them for the next 3 years lmfao.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just kept picking at the botton corner where the back button is.

That was enough for me; after a few seconds picking at the same corner with my finger nail I managed to get it lifted. The shatter proofing sheet is quite stiff and rigid, much more so than any screen protector I've used before.

Once I'd lifted enough to get a finger and thumb to it I gently peeled across the bottom until I had the whole edge lifted and then changed my grip on the phone and sheet to peel it off evenly all the way down (up?) the screen.

Here is some pics of the shatter proofing sheet as I'd got the corner started.

XPScreen.JPG
    XPScreen-1.JPG
    XPScreen-2.JPG
    XPScreen-3.JPG

Now that was done with I fitted my own screen protector. It was the third time I've fitted one (2x HTC Desire + this one) and I'm quite pleased with the job. There is a couple of bobbles at the top corner as I had to lift it and start again when I got the alignment wrong. Also the manufacturing wasn't great as the left edge has a slight curve in it and the cut-out at top centre wasn't laser cut cleanly.

Here's some pics with the new protector on.

XPZagg.JPG
    XPZagg-1.JPG
    XPZagg-2.JPG
    XPZagg-3.JPG

Hope this helps/encourages some of you to do this. The shatter proof sheet does scratch easily and if all it does is hold the shards of glass together if it breaks then the new protector should do that anyway.

D.

p.s Sorry about the image sizes. I did try to get thumbs working but to no avail.
    Good pics! Can you share any of the phone with no shatter guard/protector on, or none taken?

Sorry dude. Didn't take any pics at that point.

Sent from my Xperia Play via Tapatalk
    I've still got mine on... and have got a huge scratch on my protector...

With my track record for scratching screens, the thing's staying on until I find somewhere to get replacements...

Ebay. You can get 5 for $3-$4 easy. I ordered some.