[Q] Which model is the most open?

Search This thread

MrGneissGuy

Jan 29, 2010
Denver, CO
I recently became the proud new owner of a SM-900A NC2 note 3. I had a galaxy mega that broke, and my insurance plan replaced it with the note 3. I was actually excited at first. I had been somewhat regretting my choice and wishing I had gone with the note 3 to begin with. But then I discovered that there is no root option for the NC2 update. Nothing. The same was true of my galaxy mega for a long time (SGH-I527). With both of these devices, I noticed that some models were easily rooted/modded, and others (mine) took ages to get a functioning root.

My plan is to be an early adopter of the Note 4 when it's released in September. I don't want to be caught in the same situation where I own one of the models that is very difficult to hack. I want to buy the most open model that can be used on the AT&T network with LTE (Samsung seems keen to release developer editions for verizon, but not with LTE).

Right now, the most open model of the Note 3 seems to be N9005. I'm not going to outright buy a new note 3 that I plan on replacing in 3 months. But when that time comes, are there some rules of thumb that I should know about to choose the most open model? From my limited experience, I've learned that buying through AT&T is a recipe for slavery. But, there are many non-AT&T options.

So, what's the best choice? an International model? A different LTE carrier's model unlocked? Or, is it too early to tell?

Thanks for the help,
Michael

antique_sonic

Aug 16, 2009
Corner of the earth
I recently became the proud new owner of a SM-900A NC2 note 3. I had a galaxy mega that broke, and my insurance plan replaced it with the note 3. I was actually excited at first. I had been somewhat regretting my choice and wishing I had gone with the note 3 to begin with. But then I discovered that there is no root option for the NC2 update. Nothing. The same was true of my galaxy mega for a long time (SGH-I527). With both of these devices, I noticed that some models were easily rooted/modded, and others (mine) took ages to get a functioning root.

My plan is to be an early adopter of the Note 4 when it's released in September. I don't want to be caught in the same situation where I own one of the models that is very difficult to hack. I want to buy the most open model that can be used on the AT&T network with LTE (Samsung seems keen to release developer editions for verizon, but not with LTE).

Right now, the most open model of the Note 3 seems to be N9005. I'm not going to outright buy a new note 3 that I plan on replacing in 3 months. But when that time comes, are there some rules of thumb that I should know about to choose the most open model? From my limited experience, I've learned that buying through AT&T is a recipe for slavery. But, there are many non-AT&T options.

So, what's the best choice? an International model? A different LTE carrier's model unlocked? Or, is it too early to tell?

Thanks for the help,
Michael
snapdragon international unlock version.
:p

Sent from somewhere under the sky, at the corner of this rounded earth.

Jorisman

Feb 17, 2011
Thanks, but I don't plan on re-purchasing the note 3. Do you think the same will be true of the Note 4? Assuming there's no LTE developer edition, will the international version provide the best chance at freedom? Is it too early to speculate?

As long as you get the qualcomm version you'll be fine i guess

HanZie82

Isnt it just that the n9005 is more common.
So theres more people playing around with it and ending up with solutions?

And yeah Samsung's attitude against customizing are terrible.
The Note3 will be my last Samsung electronic(s) b.t.w. :mad:

q8peace

Apr 13, 2014
snapdragon n9005

Thanks for the help,
Michael

n9005 is the most common and powerful , here in kuwait the stupid exynos version not even released cause people tired of it laggy and fake octa core :( and no one fancy owning 3g phone anymore