[Q] Need help I777 starting from 4.0.3 moving to 4.4.4 (SOLVED STEPS IN POST)

Search This thread

TheEgonSpengler

Nov 22, 2013
plus.google.com
I had little issue moving up to 4.0.4 so I don't have to worry about the EMMC erase bug, but I'm realizing I have no way to get up further.

Everything seems to require CWM or a version of TWRP that has no compatible kernels with 4.0.4 best I can do is Siydah and like 6.0.1.2 and looks like CWM but its rather sparse on the details. :eek:

Final edit, I found a much better solution.

It does not seem as though you can flash a upgraded kernel from the CWM interface itself and reboot reliably failed on multiple kernels.

Solution
Download mobile Odin
Download the 4.4 ROM of your choice (compatable)
Gapps too stick them all somewhere you can find them (i just leave em in downloads)
Download and flash CWM 6.0.4.4 for Kitkat i777.. no clue where I found it wasn't on XDA though.
Turn the phone off (if you reboot and don't reboot too recovery you get a loop)
Boot to recovery (if you get in a loop here pull the battery THEN boot to recovery)
Now you'll notice your not on your old version of CWM anymore.
Install your ROM and Gapps.
Boot to rom
Boot back to recovery Now your once again on a different version of CWM.
I strongly advise cleaning everything up and installing it again I had some issue until I did.

GL to anyone who finds this thread. If there seems to be a need I could rewrite it with a better title.

Last edited:
Reactions: projekt1

desteele

Apr 8, 2011
I had little issue moving up to 4.0.4 so I don't have to worry about the EMMC erase bug, but I'm realizing I have no way to get up further.

Everything seems to require CWM or a version of TWRP that has no compatible kernels with 4.0.4 best I can do is Siydah and like 6.0.1.2 and looks like CWM but its rather sparse on the details. :eek:

It does not seem as though you can flash a upgraded kernel from the CWM interface itself and reboot reliably failed on multiple kernels.

Solution
Download mobile Odin
Gapps too stick them all somewhere you can find them (i just leave em in downloads)
Download and flash CWM 6.0.4.4 for Kitkat i777.. no clue where I found it wasn't on XDA though.
Boot to recovery (if you get in a loop here pull the battery THEN boot to recovery)
Boot to rom
I strongly advise cleaning everything up and installing it again I had some issue until I did.

GL to anyone who finds this thread. If there seems to be a need I could rewrite it with a better title.

Always remember that when you flash a ROM, that you typically get the Recovery that is tied to the Kernel contained in that ROM. So, you flashed the Kernel, got Recovery A, then you flashed the ROM and got Recovery B. A KK Kernel can be flashed independent of a KK ROM, and will add different/additional/improved functionality, depending on the dev, but it also contains it's own Recovery in most cases.

TheEgonSpengler

Nov 22, 2013
plus.google.com
Always remember that when you flash a ROM, that you typically get the Recovery that is tied to the Kernel contained in that ROM. So, you flashed the Kernel, got Recovery A, then you flashed the ROM and got Recovery B. A KK Kernel can be flashed independent of a KK ROM, and will add different/additional/improved functionality, depending on the dev, but it also contains it's own Recovery in most cases.

"Everything seems to require CWM or a version of TWRP that has no compatible kernels with 4.0.4 best I can do is Siydah and like 6.0.1.2 and looks like CWM but its rather sparse on the details. "

Yes I know, thanks for the advice.

desteele

Apr 8, 2011
"Everything seems to require CWM or a version of TWRP that has no compatible kernels with 4.0.4 best I can do is Siydah and like 6.0.1.2 and looks like CWM but its rather sparse on the details. "

Yes I know, thanks for the advice.

Oh, sorry...sounded like you expected to find the latest recoveries on JB kernels. My bad.

TheEgonSpengler

Nov 22, 2013
plus.google.com
Oh, sorry...sounded like you expected to find the latest recoveries on JB kernels. My bad.

Nah, you just can't install the latest ROM with an older recovery.

So if you want to go up you have to do the little dance I described above. (Yes I know certain walkthroughs indicate you can do the first step in recovery, I simply found that to not be true and gained me only bootloops and the joys of reflashing stock then reinstalling a updated-er version so I could try again.)

vinay080

Dec 24, 2012
San Jose
wil this work in my situation

Quick question.. am on:
android 4.1.2
Shostock v 3.0.2
my cwm v6.0.2.7.
I want to move for a slimmer kitkat rom..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Solution
    Download mobile Odin
    Boot to rom