[Script] Safe bloat removal script (50+ apps) [UPDATED 9/1/2011]

Search This thread

blkwlf

Feb 28, 2008
Ok... so I updated to 5.6.890 and re-rooted and than ran the bloat removal script for 5.6.890. I opted to remove everything optional. When I did this, my 3rd part calendar widget could no longer connect to my google calendar. When I ran this script before (5.5.959) I didn't have this problem. Did something change?

I have since removed the ".bak" extensions from the following files and my calendar now syncs again.

BlurCalendarProvider.apk
BlurCalendarProvider.odex
CalendarSync.apk
CalendarSync.odex

Would it make sense to have this as a separate option, or is there simply a better way to get my google calendar syncing back?

Last edited:

prstorero

Sep 12, 2011
Dallas
When I run it I get either a syntax error or access denied depending on if I use it as executable or the other option. Yes I'm rooted and gave it root permissions any ideas?

Sent from my DROID3 using XDA App

Is there a way that we can choose which apps to uninstall with your script? I like a few of them like Messaging.apk and UniversalInbox.apk (wonderful working with mutiple email accounts), and Kindle.apk (so I don't have to reinstall it)? Like you did with Swype and Car Dock Voice Commands. I hope to keep CarDock (v1.0) app too. The apps that are most important for me are Messaging.apk, UniversalInbox.apk and CarDock (v1.0) and Car Dock Voice Commands.

Can you add Quickoffice (v3.3.49 - Motorola) to the list? I have Quickoffice Pro (v4.1.121) and it is silly to keep Quickoffice (v3.3.49 - Motorola).

Does v5.6.890 work with Droid X 4.5.602. Gingerbread? Does 4.5.602 have to be OTA or can it be TBH version of 4.5.602 (4.5.1_57_DX5-32)?

Last edited:

AtLemacks

Aug 22, 2011
Mishawaka, Indiana
plus.google.com
Forgot to install another launcher before running the script, is there anyway I can install it now? I can receive phone calls, the screen on the phone turns on and off, but I can't access anything.

Edit: Just booted into Flashboot, ran RSD, re-rooted... etc. Works Great! Thanks!

Last edited:

niko99

May 15, 2008
Good job psouza4 ,
I am very annoyed applications verizon, now I have almost pure soft thanks to you,

kindly regards

driftinaway

Oct 26, 2010
operation not permitted

This script isnt working on my phone. Running it through script manager free, i choose "n" on all the y/n bloatware questions, and the program says:

" Working, please wait...
failed on 'MyVerizon.apk' - read only file system
reboot: operation not permitted"

My phone is rooted and i updated to the ota leak...so why am i getting these errors?

niko99

May 15, 2008
@driftinaway if you use Script Manager probably you dont mark RUN AS ROOT option :)

somemadcaaant

Apr 28, 2010
Android Wear
OnePlus 7T Pro
This script isnt working on my phone. Running it through script manager free, i choose "n" on all the y/n bloatware questions, and the program says:

" Working, please wait...
failed on 'MyVerizon.apk' - read only file system
reboot: operation not permitted"

My phone is rooted and i updated to the ota leak...so why am i getting these errors?

Sounds like the system folder isn't chmodding to rw during the script perhaps. Silly question, did you root your phone first, is superuser installed?

-smc

Sent from my DROID3 using xda premium

driftinaway

Oct 26, 2010
lol yes, superuser is installed...i used the one-click root method.

Brief history: rooted phone 3 weeks ago, unrooted this week, installed ota leak update, re-rooted phone again.

I guess I'm just going to have to remove the stuff manually using titanium backup. Anyone know of a good reliable list of bloatware thats safe to remove?

neilrl79

Aug 15, 2010
Maryland
Anyone know what's causing the HDMI to fail?

Sent from my DROID3 using XDA App

i think i may have figured this out, not really sure tho. i think SuggestionsServiceScheduler.apk.bak and SuggestoinsServiceScheduler.odex.bak are the problem. if anyone wants to help me confirm that would be cool. just rename them back to .apk and see if your hdmi works again.

Sep 15, 2011
LA/Orange county
if the script just does the same thing as titanium backup freezing, then can we defrost the changed apps through titanium???

and also the 890 script does not freeze or add the .bak to my amazon kindle. it still shows in my apps drawer and everything.

its not suppose to be removable, so its suppose to be in the systems/app correct?
but the script for 5.6.890 says that its moved to the data/apps

I just want to know where im suppose to put Kindle so I can get my OTA updates
then make a backup with bootstrap n clockwork so can delete it without worry

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There's been a lot of speculation on what can and can't be removed as well as how to remove them without causing force-closes, boot loops, and other headaches. So I wrote this script that will let you disable all of the bloat with none of the hassle.

After a few prompts to find out if there's anything you want to keep that can't be replaced in the market, it will do its magic -- renaming files to a .bak extension so they are no longer recognized by Android. This will cause some system services to fail and force-close loop until you reboot (and the script reboots for you). Also included is a script that will undo all of this.

If you select every option, including the default launcher and text messaging apps (which are confirmed safe to remove without losing SMS or MMS ability or push notifications), then here's the list of apps removed:

AdService.apk, android-syncservice-app.apk, ArcVideoEditorLite.apk, BackupAssistanceClient.apk, Blockbuster.apk, BlurHome2.apk, BlurSNMessagingEngine.apk, BlurTasks.apk, BlurUpdater_VZW.apk, BooksPhone.apk, CitrixReceiver.apk, CityID.apk, Conversations.apk, DLNA.apk, DlnaSystemService.apk, FriendFeed.apk, gotomeeting-stub-1.0.74.apk, GuidedTours.apk, HelpCenter.apk, IMPresence.apk, IndexingService.apk, Kindle.apk, MessagesWidget.apk, Messaging.apk, MOTOPRINT.apk, MSExchangeService.apk, MyVerizon.apk, NewBayVault_4.2.99.36.Market.apk, NFLMobile.apk, OnlineAlbum.apk, PhotoEditor.apk, PortalStandAlone.apk, Preloaded.apk, RichLocationVzW.apk, SkypeBourbon.apk, Slackerradio.apk, SocialMessaging.apk, SocialShare.apk, StatusWidget.apk, SuggestionsProvider.apk, SuggestionsRuleCheckerCore.apk, SuggestionsServiceScheduler.apk, Swype.apk, ToggleWidgets.apk, UniversalInbox.apk, Upgrader.apk, VCAST_TONES_4_5_7.apk, VCASTMusic.apk, VCASTVideo.apk, VSuiteApp.apk, vzw_vnav_DROID3_rel_PROD_signed.apk, VZWIM.apk, VZWInstaller.apk, WeatherWidget.apk, ZumoCast_1.0.17.apk

Make sure you run these scripts using Script Manager or a comparable app and be sure to enable it to run as root or it won't have permission to make changes to /system/app.

This is version 1 of the scripts -- if any of the apps removed wind up causing problems or more are found, I'll add it to the list. I've tested the scripts back and forth myself and have tested it as much as I can without finding any issues. Also, some apps are removed without asking, such as ZumoCast or VCAST or NFL Mobile. You can find these apps in the market, so there's no point keeping them locked down in system.

Enjoy! Comments are welcome.

UPDATE 9/1/2011: fixed a typo in one of the variables (thanks everyone who reported this), added more options to keep (Swype and Car Dock Voice Commands), split into two versions -- one for the stock 5.5.959 build and 5.6.890 update (late August OTA), added a warning about removing the home screen without a launcher and that it removes the Calendar widget.
    removing the following apps breaks HDMI mirroring

DLNA.apk
    DlnaSystemService.apk
    PortalStandAlone.apk

To restore HDMI mirroring, rename these files back to their original name. This should fix HDMI. All credit to pedwards3x at Rootzwiki for this information.

Confirmed. I had to reboot afterwards, but it's all fixed.

Also, HDMI out works with a DVI converter I bought too.
    Great, but maybe it would be nice to make a y/n option for each .apk where it asks you if you want to delete that apk
    You shouldn't delete them -- we don't have an SPF yet. Someone posted the complete /system/app contents and you could restore, technically, manually, but it's a bad idea. Renaming to a .bak is completely effective.

instructions for use?
    Read the post. ;)

You'll want to use Script Manager -- unzip the two scripts to your SD card (internal or external), launch Script Manager (free version is fine), find the script and click it, then tick on 'root' and then run the script. Follow the prompts from there.
    script manager that you use?
    I use script manager and asked me if I want to remove each apk or not.
    There is a script manager that does everything automatically?
    thanks for the answer
    Please read the thread thoroughly -- I'm going to ignore obvious questions like these. :p
    Well captain assumption that is true but someone adapted it for bionic in another thread. 1 or 2 s Differences only. So i figured id ask if this worked for anyone else on ics as it sits to see if it was an ics issue. and if there were any diff on ics vs gb and what those were so i can compare and contrast your findings. I am flattered that you had enough time to look at my posts.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using xda app-developers app

Sometimes you just gotta look to find information that isn't presented to you (also you can find your posts with about 2 clicks :p ).

1. On topic, unfortunately since the D3 isn't getting "official" ICS like the Bionic someone will have to adapt the script again since the D3's ICS is a custom ROM and already debloated.
    2. You'd be best off finding the person who adapted it in the 1st place in the Bionic Dev section.
    3. That or just use a custom Bionic ROM which is debloated 99% of the time OR use the provided list and freeze with TiBu.