Battery drain - source found

Search This thread

steinrr

Aug 17, 2011
I have had problems with battery drain on my S2 from the day I bought it. The battery would last apprx 12-14 hours before going dead - almost without use.

I then removed an Exchange (ActiveSync) mail account. And the problem was gone. 30+ hours battery with no problems. I added the mail account back, and the problem reoccured. I testet this some more times and it was consistent each time. BTW I was not using push, just manual mail update.

The mail account that I am adding forces encryption on the phone, so it might be that this is the actual source of the battery drain. But it shows that the phone is useless using ActiveSync with encryption.

I was hoping that this was fixed in 2.3.4, but the problem was the same there as well. Until this is fixed (which I don't suspect will happen) I can not use the phone with my job email account because of this.

nikzDHD

Apr 2, 2011
London
Yes you can go to themes and apps section and search for the administration removed email app, stock app with the corporate control removed try it and see if that works better, currently using it myself and no big battery drains.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

steinrr

Aug 17, 2011
"go to themes and apps section and search for the administration removed email app, stock app with the corporate control removed"

Where is this? Android Market? I did not find it...

anisbombaywala

Aug 22, 2011
Mumbai
Using 'Push' uses a lot of battery. See if you can manage with 'Manual' or scheduled to check every few minutes.

Also disable 'Auto-sync' if not required.

Log out of Latitude from within Maps.

steinrr

Aug 17, 2011
Using 'Push' uses a lot of battery. See if you can manage with 'Manual' or scheduled to check every few minutes.

Also disable 'Auto-sync' if not required.

Log out of Latitude from within Maps.

As I said in my initial post - I do not use push - I have everything on manual. It drains battery even if I do not check the mail once.

steinrr

Aug 17, 2011
jr866gooner: I found it, but I guess this forces rooting of the phone? It is a phone owned by my employeer, so this is unfortunately not an option :-(

gschot

Jan 20, 2009
Samsung Gear 2
Samsung Gear S2
I also pinned down my huge battery drain (10% per hour) to the Exchange email connection I use. I have tried various stock ROMs and some custom ones, but all seem to give the same result. I must say that older ROMs did not seem to have the drain this much. I am currently running Cognition 1.5.1.

Currently I work around the drain by manually syncing my email whenever I want to read email and this results in a whole lot less battery consumption (I now have 50-70% battery left with moderate use, instead of only barely managing 8 hours or so.

I have installed the modified Email.apk to see if this fixes some issues. The email.apk in Cognition did not have a .odex file anymore and was a few bytes different in size, so I really really hope that this fixes the drain. I'll keep you posted.

Gerco

D

Deleted member 308374

Would someone please be so kind to link the thread with the modified apk? Forum search through tapatalk is not always an easy task :)
Thanks a lot guys

Inviato dal mio GT-I9100

nikzDHD

Apr 2, 2011
London
hey how about if i use another email app? will that bypass the problem?

You can try the stock asop one from dark knight thread, think check fixed the wakelock issues, very similar to the Samsung version minus a number of features but based on the same source.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

gschot

Jan 20, 2009
Samsung Gear 2
Samsung Gear S2
My test results with the email.apk I had found did not really show improvement of battery usage, so I am very curious for the link that nikzDHD means. Is this the one patpeewee mentions? I did not see any remarks about wake lock issues in the op.

Last edited: