[Off-topic] If you see a member of higher ranks, do you instantly have more respect?

If you see a member of higher ranks, do you instantly have more respect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

jfcooley

Jul 15, 2011
Charlottesville Va
Respect given from thanks and post counts is hollow.
One earns respect by being concise, honest, and humble. At least one does from me.

I'm interested in the information being accurate and complete.

To be honest, I rarely look at user names or anything else. I have the screen zoomed so they are cut off.

"Hit Thanks" is ignored.

sporkette

Dec 16, 2011
phoenix
Lol of course not. I look for a reasonable and mature attitude, and think about whether the post reflects any knowledge at all. If the answer to both is yes, then I still take everything with a grain of salt, Google the gist of the reply to see if there's agreement, thank if they've been any help, and go from there. If either is in question i make a mental note to ignore that person. But my #1 rule is to never ask for help. There's enough that do it that I don't have to, and tracking down answers is what makes these devices fun anyway. Mostly listen, answer am occasional question, and laugh at the antics.

Reactions: MBQ_

Khizar

Feb 28, 2012
respect isnt given freely it has to be earned IMO and on xda its earned by answering questions and helping users... as for being biased towards RCs, RDs, and MODs the answer for me is no i dont look at a users title and just respect them, i start respecting a user when i see that they have been helping users and they actually deserve the respect..

Reactions: Cilraaz and MBQ_

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Huawei P Smart+ 2019
Redmi 7A
Basically, if someone posts a question and it's answered properly I don't care if the answer came from a n00b or an RC. I'd be more inclined to accept an RC answer than a lesser rank if there was some doubt, though
Exactly this.

As someone else said (apologies for not remembering your name), as I use the app a lot of the time, I don't see the 'ranks' of users so it won't generally make a difference.
Even now that I use the site more often, my answer then refers back to what Eddy posted above.

There was quite a funny situation that happened a while back when I was using the app.
There was a question which had been asked and the answer to it was mentioned in 2 of the stickies in that sub-forum. It turned out to be a RC who had asked the question. The first answer they got was from a member with 6 posts at the time who told them the answer and then suggested that they read the stickied threads before asking questions, so as to save having yet another pointless thread created.
At first glance, I thought that the OP was a noob and that the person who answered was either a RC or a Senior Member who had been around for a while. Was shocked/pleasantly surprised to see I was totally wrong though.

The reason I originally applied to become a RC was actually because of what this thread is about. I was being really helpful throughout my time here but in a lot of cases, a fellow Senior Member would have a problem which I knew I could help with so I helped them out. They wouldn't accept my help in a lot of cases just because I wasn't a RC/RD/mod etc. and because I'd been a member for less time than them.
Now considering I wanted to help as many people as I could, that particular occurrence was stopping me doing that so I figured the way around it would be to become a RC :D

Finally, in regards to how many Thanks a user has, I never pay attention to that because there's a hell of a lot of situations where the Thanks count is totally inaccurate in regards to how the user acts around the forum.
I see some people who are consistently helping anyone in their device forums, or people who have made great apps/mods/tools etc who haven't had many Thanks yet some people who just piss around while on here have tons of Thanks.
If you need further proof of how much the Thanks count doesn't matter, check out my profile while on the site and view my 3rd highest thanked post.
End of!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I will say, I never look at the 'Thanks Meter'. If you need a signature with 'If I've helped, click thanks' then you're just out for the numbers...
    Respect given from thanks and post counts is hollow.
    One earns respect by being concise, honest, and humble. At least one does from me.

I'm interested in the information being accurate and complete.

To be honest, I rarely look at user names or anything else. I have the screen zoomed so they are cut off.

"Hit Thanks" is ignored.
    Interesting question.. ;)
    Usually respect comes out of combination of their rank, number of posts and thanks.
    Also when you follow particular threads like a hawk, the members worth respecting are visible on every next page. :)

Sent from my Vanilla Rootbox Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app
    I wouldn't "instantly" respect anyone. Respect isn't something that should be just given away, people who actually deserve it get it.
    Thanks for all of your responses guys! :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium