Nexus 7 4.2.2 JDQ39 update rolling out in USA?

Search This thread

GedBlake

Jan 5, 2013
Ashton-under-Lyne, Manchester, UK
yeah I know they fail when I try to flash ,So do have a link for a zip i can flash in recovery?

The link is here, kindly provided by Omar04...

You will need to flash this in recovery (I used TWRP), over 'untouched' stock (I always maintain a 'virgin' install as a nandroid copy of JOP40D that I can flash back to, for this very purpose).

Two things...

1) It wiped out my recovery (had to fastboot flash it back again).

2) It will update your BOOTLOADER to 4.18, as evidenced in the final part of the UPDATER-SCRIPT...

Code:
ui_print("Writing bootloader...");
package_extract_file("bootloader.raw", "/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/USP");

The full updater-script is available here - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37483979/updater-script.txt, (it's too long to quote in full, but worth a browse).

Rgrds,
Ged.

phonic

May 30, 2008
Florida
When flashing the zip I get error in build prop?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Then you must have changed it from stock.

People need to keep track of any system changes they make if they intend to flash OTA zips. The OTA update is a bunch of patches. You can't patch something unless you know exactly what it's supposed to contain. So the update verifies the checksum of every file it touches. If one bit is out of wack, it will abort. Period.

If you modify a file, make a backup.

Reactions: Vazduh

GedBlake

Jan 5, 2013
Ashton-under-Lyne, Manchester, UK
Last edited:
Reactions: projectzro

projectzro

Jan 28, 2010
Rochester
Available here, https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images.

It's good practice to maintain a NANDROID backup of 'untouched' stock on your internal storage, such that you can quickly flash (ie, restore) back to, should the need arise.

Rgrds,
Ged.

already downloading it. was just hoping for JUST the audio drivers. and i do a Nandroid every weekend, but i installed beats a week after i got the N7 (on release day of the 32Gb). it's faster for me to download the stock rom (that im already on) and flash over everything so it only fixes what is broken then backup all my apps with titanium and use the nandroid then wait for titanium to reinstall everything (manually i might add) and i have 7.51GB of apps as it is lol. thanks though.

Terracio

Jan 23, 2010
I flashed the update using the Nexus Root Toolkit
backed up apps and data, backed up root with OTA rootkeeper launched advanced utilities > flash zip from computer
-there was no need to restore the apps and data after the update since nothing was lost
-restored root and installed custom recovery using GooManager

L.E.: in case you lost root during the update you can use Nexus root toolkit to boot into a custom recovery image and restore a rooted backup of your previous version:
- start Nexus 7 in fastboot mode
- open Nexus root toolkit and launch advanced utilities
- check fastboot - bootloader
- check "boot (temporary)" press boot and select the custom recovery image
- restore the backup then follow the instructions above.

I did all that except I used TWRP instead of Tool Kit and Root Keeper won't restore root. I'm considering going back to previous rooted version and trying again but what I'm feeling lazy and will get pissed if root is lost again.

Did your rootkeeper do it from the first try or did you have to try several times? Did it take long?

Never used that before to be honest.

m82a1

May 21, 2010
Updated via .zip file in CWM Touch, asked me to keep recovery and to keep su files - click yes to both and thats it, you're on 4.2.2. easy. Feels faster for sure.

Reactions: cmay227

linuxrebel

Jan 13, 2009
SillyCon Valley
Anyone who messes with ADB, you need to run the Android SDK Manager and update your tools. There is some new ADB protects with 4.2.2, you have to authorize the connecting PC now.

As explained here.

Here is a screenshot of the new window that pops up when you try to use ADB:

SUSY0mC.png

Unfortunately it appears this works only for windows. MAC and Linux just sit there. Nice feature. (Not)

Edit: SDK may not be updating correctly. Grrr

Last edited:

AndDiSa

Dec 2, 2009
Heidelberg
HTC Desire
Nexus 7
AW: Nexus 7 4.2.2 JDQ39 update rolling out in USA?

Unfortunately it appears this works only for windows. MAC and Linux just sit there. Nice feature. (Not)

Edit: SDK may not be updating correctly. Grrr

No, on Linux it's working in the same way, probably you need to connect / disconnect the device while adb server is running ... and you need a propper adb executable (1.0.31 or newer should be fine).

linuxrebel

Jan 13, 2009
SillyCon Valley
No, on Linux it's working in the same way, probably you need to connect / disconnect the device while adb server is running ... and you need a propper adb executable (1.0.31 or newer should be fine).

Got it working on Linux. The key to the secret was that after I got the window to open for the trust verification, I had to reboot the Nexus 7. And then rerun my root tool. On the MAC it still failed to complete the root process. Linux got it, I have TWM and full root.

So in short.

1. Update SDK (from Google not apt)
2. Copy adb into root tool.
3. Connect USB run adb, and agree to trust.
4. Reboot Nexus.
5. Rerun root tool and all is golden.

teh_1

Apr 11, 2010
Cluj - Napoca
I did all that except I used TWRP instead of Tool Kit and Root Keeper won't restore root. I'm considering going back to previous rooted version and trying again but what I'm feeling lazy and will get pissed if root is lost again.

Did your rootkeeper do it from the first try or did you have to try several times? Did it take long?

Never used that before to be honest.

It worked on the first try (well second, keeping in mind that the first time i forgot to backup root), i just backed up root - flashed - and restored root

Terracio

Jan 23, 2010
It worked on the first try (well second, keeping in mind that the first time i forgot to backup root), i just backed up root - flashed - and restored root

Hmmm that's weird indeed, mine didn't work. I'll have to solve it tomorrow, would right but TWRP hid my backup somewhere I can't find and I'm busy doing homework.

Been trying to read up if having SuperSU installed could have caused any problems but nothing comes up saying it would. Maybe I needed to have Superuser instead.

Then again I used root for the Lag Fix app perhaps with this update I won't need it.

We'll see, thanks!

teh_1

Apr 11, 2010
Cluj - Napoca
these are my conclusions after fiddling around with 4.2.2 :
- it is faster and smother than 4.2.1
- wifi seems faster also
- new bootloader
- new kernel
- usb otg works perfectly
-can't tell if the bluetooth internet connection bug is fixed though, i'll have to check that tomorrow at work.

I flashed the update using the Nexus Root Toolkit
backed up apps and data, backed up root with OTA rootkeeper> launched advanced utilities > flash zip from computer
-there was no need to restore the apps and data after the update since nothing was lost
-restored root and installed custom recovery using GooManager

L.E.: in case you lost root during the update you can use Nexus root toolkit to boot into a custom recovery image and restore a rooted backup of your previous version:
- start Nexus 7 in fastboot mode
- open Nexus root toolkit and launch advanced utilities
- check fastboot - bootloader
- check "boot (temporary)" press boot and select the custom recovery image
- restore the backup then follow the instructions above.

UPDATE: apparently the bluetooth tethering option is still buggy; meaning that i pair the tablet with a 3g connected phone and when i enable the internet access option it gets disabled automatically after a few seconds.
UPDATE 2 - also noticed
- timeleft calculated and displayed for Play Store downloads
- more secured ADB due to the whitelist (?) - judging from what other users posted - i didn't test this yet.

---------- Post added at 08:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 AM ----------

Hmmm that's weird indeed, mine didn't work. I'll have to solve it tomorrow, would right but TWRP hid my backup somewhere I can't find and I'm busy doing homework.

Been trying to read up if having SuperSU installed could have caused any problems but nothing comes up saying it would. Maybe I needed to have Superuser instead.

Then again I used root for the Lag Fix app perhaps with this update I won't need it.

We'll see, thanks!

SupeSU shouldn't be the problem since i also had/have it installed before/after the update.

Last edited:
Reactions: domotang

noobita029

Feb 13, 2013
stock 4.2.1 system ui

I tried the flashable zip but i'm recieving error 7 from systemui.apk can somebody please upload a flashable zip for a stock systemui.apk? Thanks in advance

Top Liked Posts