AT&T Update Help

Search This thread

marksman81

Oct 4, 2013
I received the notification to update this morning to 4.4, however the update started to apply, it kicked it out with a suspected root error. Before applying the update, I had already uninstalled Xposed and unrooted my phone, so I am not sure what set off the root checker. I was wondering what my options were at this point. I know I can flash back to stock, but I would like to avoid this if at all possible. Are there any alternatives, or will I be forced to flash back to stock?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sent from my LG-E980 using XDA Free mobile app

View92612

May 10, 2013
Plano, TX
I received the notification to update this morning to 4.4, however the update started to apply, it kicked it out with a suspected root error. Before applying the update, I had already uninstalled Xposed and unrooted my phone, so I am not sure what set off the root checker. I was wondering what my options were at this point. I know I can flash back to stock, but I would like to avoid this if at all possible. Are there any alternatives, or will I be forced to flash back to stock?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sent from my LG-E980 using XDA Free mobile app

I'm having exactly the same issue. I used the one click root method and have unrooted using full unroot in SuperSu.
But it appears full unroot per SuperSu is not enough? I tried root checker in Play Store and it says I am not rooted.
When I run the install it takes a long time to download and gave 0x13e error after the reboot while upgrading.

I also tried the LG PC Suite but it says my phone has the most current version, that is weird...
This OTA seems to be very picky as I was able to update in January 2014 fully rooted....
I wonder if I need to flash the IOT and go through the hassle of reinstalling all apps and config....that's a lot of hassle...

View92612

May 10, 2013
Plano, TX
I'm having exactly the same issue. I used the one click root method and have unrooted using full unroot in SuperSu.
But it appears full unroot per SuperSu is not enough? I tried root checker in Play Store and it says I am not rooted.
When I run the install it takes a long time to download and gave 0x13e error after the reboot while upgrading.

I also tried the LG PC Suite but it says my phone has the most current version, that is weird...
This OTA seems to be very picky as I was able to update in January 2014 fully rooted....
I wonder if I need to flash the IOT and go through the hassle of reinstalling all apps and config....that's a lot of hassle...

It is very strange but if I try update recovery it says my battery does not have enough charge. (but battery is at 100%).
I even bought a new battery. I did disable carrier iq spying service before I unroot.
Do I have to enable carrier iq spy in order to upgrade?

spexwood

Feb 13, 2011
It is very strange but if I try update recovery it says my battery does not have enough charge. (but battery is at 100%).
I even bought a new battery. I did disable carrier iq spying service before I unroot.

Your phone needs to be 100% stock in order for OTA updates to work. This means:
no custom recovery (CWM, TWRP, etc)
all bloatware must be present
you can't be rooted
all system services must be like stock (this includes carrier IQ, so yes, it needs to be reenabled).

If you can't get the OTA to update after fixing everything, try flashing this:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2760895

This IS the ATT stock ROM, but mildly debloated. The creator only debloated things that could be installed via the Play Store though (like Google Music, Newstand, Books, etc), so there isn't anything like the remote app or something missing.
I flashed this version because I'm too lazy to try and return my phone to pure stock just to get the OTA and then have to reflash root and a custom recovery. Too much work for me.

EDIT: I'm not too sure what's going on with your recovery... I hope someone else can answer that for you.

Reactions: Rred and View92612

View92612

May 10, 2013
Plano, TX

This IS the ATT stock ROM, but mildly debloated. The creator only debloated things that could be installed via the Play Store though (like Google Music, Newstand, Books, etc), so there isn't anything like the remote app or something missing.
I flashed this version because I'm too lazy to try and return my phone to pure stock just to get the OTA and then have to reflash root and a custom recovery. Too much work for me.

EDIT: I'm not too sure what's going on with your recovery... I hope someone else can answer that for you.

Thanks a lot. This is my wife's phone so she'd rather not to update if a data wipe is required. She's actually quite happy with 4.1.
Anything extra would only be a "good to have". I think I'll keep it on 4.1 until she switches to another phone.
I did download the slightly customized stock rom so that it could be updated in the future.

In fact, I still have stock recovery and the only reason I rooted was to disable carrier iq because it was doing funny things with the GPS, very annoying.
There is no other way to disable carrier iq without rooting...unfortunately...

spexwood

Feb 13, 2011
Thanks a lot. This is my wife's phone so she'd rather not to update if a data wipe is required. She's actually quite happy with 4.1.
Anything extra would only be a "good to have". I think I'll keep it on 4.1 until she switches to another phone.
I did download the slightly customized stock rom so that it could be updated in the future.

In fact, I still have stock recovery and the only reason I rooted was to disable carrier iq because it was doing funny things with the GPS, very annoying.

If you flash that ROM over her current stock ROM, it should act just like an OTA update and replace the JB OS with the KK OS. It should also replace JB version Google apps with KK ones too.
If you decide to do this, you will need to do 3 things:
1) Make a backup just in case, but then copy the backup to your PC

2) Backup the internal SD to a PC and then format the internal storage. (see *2 below as to why)

3) After the flash, you will need to install the apk from the following thread and use it to install a Kitkat compatible CWM. If you don't while in recovery at any time, you may get stuck in what's called the Recovery Bootloop. Basically, every time you try to reboot the phone into the system (whether from a powered off state or from recovery), you will always go back to recovery.
The only bad thing about this recovery is that it can't read external SD cards, so anything you want to flash/backup will need to be stored on internal storage.

*2) Kitkat uses a different directory system for internal storage. If you were to not wipe the internal SD and managed to get the OTA working, it would wipe the drive for you automatically (which means all your data would be gone!).
However, with this flashable stock ROM, what will happen instead, is that all your data will remain, but will be hidden from view/access. If you have root, you can get it and move it, but it's a pain. Otherwise, your files are hidden from you, yet the system reads X amount of your internal storage as being occupied by "Miscellaneous" files, yet shows that nothing is there.

So just backup the files, then format the internal storage (which will leave her apps alone) before updating. Then flash that ROM and then copy the files back over.

All this is up to you and your wife as to whether or not you deem it to be worth the effort.

Reactions: View92612

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Your phone needs to be 100% stock in order for OTA updates to work. This means:
    no custom recovery (CWM, TWRP, etc)
    all bloatware must be present
    you can't be rooted
    all system services must be like stock (this includes carrier IQ, so yes, it needs to be reenabled).

The easiest thing to do is just flash the 4.4.2 Rom found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2760895

This route saves allot of time having to flash back to pure stock, wait for your phone to receive the update again, and your phone taking forever to download said update.

If you flash that ROM over her current stock ROM, it should act just like an OTA update and replace the JB OS with the KK OS. It should also replace JB version Google apps with KK ones too.
    If you decide to do this, you will need to do 3 things:
    1) Make a backup just in case, but then copy the backup to your PC

2) Backup the internal SD to a PC and then format the internal storage. (see *2 below as to why)

3) After the flash, you will need to install the apk from the following thread and use it to install a Kitkat compatible CWM. If you don't while in recovery at any time, you may get stuck in what's called the Recovery Bootloop. Basically, every time you try to reboot the phone into the system (whether from a powered off state or from recovery), you will always go back to recovery.
    The only bad thing about this recovery is that it can't read external SD cards, so anything you want to flash/backup will need to be stored on internal storage.

*2) Kitkat uses a different directory system for internal storage. If you were to not wipe the internal SD and managed to get the OTA working, it would wipe the drive for you automatically (which means all your data would be gone!).
    However, with this flashable stock ROM, what will happen instead, is that all your data will remain, but will be hidden from view/access. If you have root, you can get it and move it, but it's a pain. Otherwise, your files are hidden from you, yet the system reads X amount of your internal storage as being occupied by "Miscellaneous" files, yet shows that nothing is there.

So just backup the files, then format the internal storage (which will leave her apps alone) before updating. Then flash that ROM and then copy the files back over.

All this is up to you and your wife as to whether or not you deem it to be worth the effort.