Metro PCS S5

Search This thread

rfb813

May 15, 2012
Winter Garden, FL
Metro PCS just announced the S5 without contract for $649.99. Since Metro PCS is now owned by T-Mobile I would assume that their S5 is the same as the T-Mobile S5 with the same LTE bands. Does anybody know this for sure. I am out of town and can't get to a Metro PCS store or a Best Buy to confirm.

wtf911

Jul 22, 2010
I was actually wondering the same thing myself and have looked into it. Here's what I've come up with.

T-Mobile - http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SM-G900TZKATMB
MetroPCS - http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SM-G900TRKATMB

They are both listed as having the same bands and it seems implied they both fall under the SM-G900T. For rooting though it is listed separately as the SM-G900T1.

http://autoroot.chainfire.eu/

That said, perhaps someone can explain any possible differences.

On a side note since I'm trying to figure out which one to buy here is a comparison I've come up with:

tmobile - 720 after tax - unlock after 40 days - 50 per month cheapest
metropcs - 700 after tax - unlock after 90 days - 40 per month cheapest

Reactions: wdkingery

serialtoon

May 25, 2006
Im very interested in buying the MetroPCS model as BestBuy.com sells it at regular price and they have an awesome 18-Month no interest if you use their card. Enticing enough that i bought one and will be testing it out on AT&T use. Worst case scenario i return it...big deal.

Reactions: wdkingery

rfb813

May 15, 2012
Winter Garden, FL
Im very interested in buying the MetroPCS model as BestBuy.com sells it at regular price and they have an awesome 18-Month no interest if you use their card. Enticing enough that i bought one and will be testing it out on AT&T use. Worst case scenario i return it...big deal.

Keep us informed on how it works. I may buy one to after I get back home.

cpufrost

Feb 26, 2012
Big Country
Anyone try this yet?
I have a TMO Note 3 that works great on ATT after entering the unlock code.
This looks like a good way to get a device on ATT and not have to wait possibly forever LOL for the exploit/root/unlock bootloader, etc.

cpufrost

Feb 26, 2012
Big Country
Anyone try this yet?
I have a TMO Note 3 that works great on ATT after entering the unlock code.
This looks like a good way to get a device on ATT and not have to wait possibly forever LOL for the exploit/root/unlock bootloader, etc.

Have one here, requested unlock code from cellunlocker.net. Got an email about 3 hours later that there's a delay and they need to check an alternative database.

I've read it's TMO and indeed it has wifi calling. As long as there are no issues with the unlock code (crosses fingers) I believe this should be a go just like my TMO note 3 on ATT. Have no problems using it whatsoever.

cpufrost

Feb 26, 2012
Big Country
Updating in case anyone is interested.
Got my unlock code about three hours after yesterday's post.
Was able to unlock using deepfreeze code first, then network unlock code afterward!

I called ATT to switch a nano sim to a micro sim and mistakenly gave them the (Metro PCS) S5 IEMI! Don't do this as it will prevent LTE from working. I asked the associate if I could switch IEMIs and she said sure. I gave her the IEMI of my M8, restarted the phone and LTE is now working.

Just flashed TWRP and the Alliance Rom about an hour ago.
Running fine on ATT here with unlocked bootloader.

So if you're on ATT and want an S5 with an unlocked bootloader, this is probably the cheapest option outside of buying on swappa, etc.

em0ney14

Apr 1, 2014
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I checked the APN settings in Google hangouts and it shows METROPCS as the selected APN, even though I am on a T MOBILE S5 And service.

What's weird is I never set up any APNs since having the phone so it must have came with those settings preinstalled.

vu5agaja.jpg

Sent from my rooted 'beaned' SM-G900T using Tapatalk Premium

xxjahasotoxx

Feb 5, 2011
So I got a metro PCs phone unlocked it at https://www.unlocklocks.com/

And now I have it on T-Mobile no problems what so ever
I used hangouts for SMS so the apns where there already
And in order to enable the built in hotspot without root I went into wireless connections and added the APN for T-Mobile by copying everything as it was on my note 3, and just like that hotspot is activated

Last edited:

x573\/30

May 11, 2013
Since there isn't a dedicated MetroPCS section due it being 99% compatible with TMO ROMs, etc. I'd like to post an issue here that I'm having with my S5 from MPCS in hopes someone else has found a resolution. The issue I'm having is getting a tethering "hack" to work with my service. Has anyone found one that works successfully for them? Thanks!

androidddaaron

Mar 9, 2011
Metro PCS just announced the S5 without contract for $649.99. Since Metro PCS is now owned by T-Mobile I would assume that their S5 is the same as the T-Mobile S5 with the same LTE bands. Does anybody know this for sure. I am out of town and can't get to a Metro PCS store or a Best Buy to confirm.
Same phones since s3.
Same Lte.
Identical just metro has some metro apps.
If u buy metro you have to wait 90 days before they will unlock it .
T-mobile not sure
But u can pay to have it done .
I use t-mobile phones on metro all the time . But u can't use metro branded on t-mobile It's metro rules .

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Free mobile app

mreents

Mar 14, 2012
sim unlock

I just got the S5 at Metro. Do I have to sim unlock to install roms. I have root and TWRP recovery already. Tried the Slim rom for Tmo and didn't have any service even after changing APN settings. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I was actually wondering the same thing myself and have looked into it. Here's what I've come up with.

T-Mobile - http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SM-G900TZKATMB
    MetroPCS - http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SM-G900TRKATMB

They are both listed as having the same bands and it seems implied they both fall under the SM-G900T. For rooting though it is listed separately as the SM-G900T1.

http://autoroot.chainfire.eu/

That said, perhaps someone can explain any possible differences.

On a side note since I'm trying to figure out which one to buy here is a comparison I've come up with:

tmobile - 720 after tax - unlock after 40 days - 50 per month cheapest
    metropcs - 700 after tax - unlock after 90 days - 40 per month cheapest