This is how to disable capacitive buttons & Add on-screen softkeys

Search This thread

digitalrelic

Nov 13, 2012
In another thread, I nonchalantly posted that I was able to disable the capacitive buttons on my 8.4 and enable on-screen softkey menu buttons. This, surprisingly, has garnered a lot of PMs and requests for how I was able to achieve this, so I've decided to write up a quick guide on how I was able to do it.

*Root required*

1.) Download & install LMT launcher HERE. This allows you to use the PIE on-screen menu navigation softkeys. I love it even moreso than the stock Android softkeys. Here's what my 8.4 looks like with LMT enabled:

2dme39h.jpg

(The PIE navigation only show up if you swipe your finger from the side of the screen)

2.) Configure LMT as you deem necessary. It works right off the bat, but you'll probably want to mess around with the settings to your taste preference.

Now to disabling your capacitive buttons:

3.) Download a file explorer/manager (I used Root Explorer)

4.) Using Root Explorer, navigate to System > usr > keylayout, and open Generic.kl in Text Editor. Say "Yes" when asked if you'd like to remount the file as read-write.

5.) Once the file has been opened, navigate to key 158 (back) and key 254 (app_switch), and put a "#" sign in front of each line. Save the file. After rebooting, your back and appswitch capacitive keys will no longer function. I personally left the home button enabled, but you can find the home button key in that same Generic.kl file and disable it if that's what you'd like to do.

6.) Next up is disabling the backlight on your capacitive keys, which was waayyy easier than I ever thought it would be. Simply navigate to Settings > Device > Display > Touch key light duration, and switch the setting to "Always off". Wah lah! Now your capacitive keys are disabled and their backlights no longer light up.

That's it! You are now all set to go with disabled capacitive buttons/backlights and have a handy on-screen PIE navigation menu. No more accidentally bumping the back button in the middle of a game. No more distracting backlights annoying you when you're trying to watch Netflix.

There's also a way to add the stock android style soft-menu buttons, but I was only able to make it work in portrait mode, not landscape. I prefer LMT anyways. However, if anyone wants to add the stock android soft-menu buttons, let me know. I can always add it to this guide.

Last edited:

fdrferny33

Mar 21, 2014
Awesome

Thank you soo much for this thread!

I was looking on how to do it on this tablet safely

I messaged you :3

Thank you.
I will post my results

Reactions: conan1600

Hansi01

Sep 7, 2007
How about stock launcher and the softkeys from android ?

Just found a way for the S4 here at xda.

I come from the LG G Pad, in all points the Pro 8.4 is much better, but ill missing alot the software buttons and the option to change them.

JaylanPHNX

Nov 16, 2010
It doesn't seem to be the same running CM 11. Key 158 is there, but 254 is missing. It goes straight from 224 to 256. No app_switch.

From my Pro Tab 8.4

conan1600

Jan 9, 2011
Gravity box will work with touchwiz?

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Some features work fine. Pie controls work well and it will disable home, back, and recent cap buttons. Enabling nav bar only works in portrait. I use the pie controls from gravity box on mine with system info disabled and have them set to bottom and left side activation as enabling right side interferes with multi window pull out set to 2 px activation. I use the capacitive button disable from this tutorial so that my home button will work.

Last edited:
Reactions: koimr

conan1600

Jan 9, 2011
I'm curious as to why one would want to disable the capacitve buttons?

I use a tablet almost exclusively in landscape mode, this causes me no end of accidental touches to back and recent capacitive buttons while I'm surfing the web or playing a game which after 3 or 300 times in a few minutes is enough to make baby Jebus cry. I used to think cap buttons were a good idea as well until I started using a tablet in landscape. God awful sir. God awful.

Reactions: machx1111

digitalrelic

Nov 13, 2012
digitalrelic - How did you remove the Search and Menu key from LMT Launcher?

I don't have my tablet in front of me now but it was really simple. Just open the LMT software, go to the "PIE" tab, and customize the buttons as you'd like. This is all from memory though so I could be a bit off on where to find the settings, but they're easy enough to find.

pgibbons

Jul 20, 2010
I don't have my tablet in front of me now but it was really simple. Just open the LMT software, go to the "PIE" tab, and customize the buttons as you'd like. This is all from memory though so I could be a bit off on where to find the settings, but they're easy enough to find.

Sorry I should have tried that. I thought those settings were to set up additional buttons on top of the base ones since the default action on all of the non-longpress ones were set to disable. I just chose the first 3 and set them to back, home, recent apps and it set it the way you had it.

Thanks.

bruce16878

Aug 31, 2012
While in landscape, accidentally triggering the capactive button is quite annoying, thanks for sharing, would like to disable it for my tab.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using xda app-developers app

JaylanPHNX

Nov 16, 2010
It doesn't seem to be the same running CM 11. Key 158 is there, but 254 is missing. It goes straight from 224 to 256. No app_switch.

From my Pro Tab 8.4

To add to that, disabling 158 doesn't change button behavior. And, yes, I am mounted r/w. Anyone know anything about this on CM?

From my Pro Tab 8.4

PhysiBR

Sep 19, 2008
João Pessoa
Worked like a charm on Galaxy Note Pro 12.2. I had Nova launcher already installed so I use the app Pie Control from Google Play store.
Everything working 100%.
Thanks.

digitalrelic

Nov 13, 2012
Worked like a charm on Galaxy Note Pro 12.2. I had Nova launcher already installed so I use the app Pie Control from Google Play store.
Everything working 100%.
Thanks.

Just FYI, you can run LMT launcher over an other launcher without issue. I'm using the Google Experience Launcher with LMT also installed.

I tried Pie Control and it truly pales in comparison to LMT.

Reactions: PhysiBR

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In another thread, I nonchalantly posted that I was able to disable the capacitive buttons on my 8.4 and enable on-screen softkey menu buttons. This, surprisingly, has garnered a lot of PMs and requests for how I was able to achieve this, so I've decided to write up a quick guide on how I was able to do it.

*Root required*

1.) Download & install LMT launcher HERE. This allows you to use the PIE on-screen menu navigation softkeys. I love it even moreso than the stock Android softkeys. Here's what my 8.4 looks like with LMT enabled:

2dme39h.jpg

(The PIE navigation only show up if you swipe your finger from the side of the screen)

2.) Configure LMT as you deem necessary. It works right off the bat, but you'll probably want to mess around with the settings to your taste preference.

Now to disabling your capacitive buttons:

3.) Download a file explorer/manager (I used Root Explorer)

4.) Using Root Explorer, navigate to System > usr > keylayout, and open Generic.kl in Text Editor. Say "Yes" when asked if you'd like to remount the file as read-write.

5.) Once the file has been opened, navigate to key 158 (back) and key 254 (app_switch), and put a "#" sign in front of each line. Save the file. After rebooting, your back and appswitch capacitive keys will no longer function. I personally left the home button enabled, but you can find the home button key in that same Generic.kl file and disable it if that's what you'd like to do.

6.) Next up is disabling the backlight on your capacitive keys, which was waayyy easier than I ever thought it would be. Simply navigate to Settings > Device > Display > Touch key light duration, and switch the setting to "Always off". Wah lah! Now your capacitive keys are disabled and their backlights no longer light up.

That's it! You are now all set to go with disabled capacitive buttons/backlights and have a handy on-screen PIE navigation menu. No more accidentally bumping the back button in the middle of a game. No more distracting backlights annoying you when you're trying to watch Netflix.

There's also a way to add the stock android style soft-menu buttons, but I was only able to make it work in portrait mode, not landscape. I prefer LMT anyways. However, if anyone wants to add the stock android soft-menu buttons, let me know. I can always add it to this guide.
    Awesome

Thank you soo much for this thread!

I was looking on how to do it on this tablet safely

I messaged you :3

Thank you.
    I will post my results
    Gravity box will work with touchwiz?

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Some features work fine. Pie controls work well and it will disable home, back, and recent cap buttons. Enabling nav bar only works in portrait. I use the pie controls from gravity box on mine with system info disabled and have them set to bottom and left side activation as enabling right side interferes with multi window pull out set to 2 px activation. I use the capacitive button disable from this tutorial so that my home button will work.
    I'm curious as to why one would want to disable the capacitve buttons?

I use a tablet almost exclusively in landscape mode, this causes me no end of accidental touches to back and recent capacitive buttons while I'm surfing the web or playing a game which after 3 or 300 times in a few minutes is enough to make baby Jebus cry. I used to think cap buttons were a good idea as well until I started using a tablet in landscape. God awful sir. God awful.
    To add to that, disabling 158 doesn't change button behavior. And, yes, I am mounted r/w. Anyone know anything about this on CM?

From my Pro Tab 8.4

Sorry, no idea how to change it on CM as I'm running stock. Maybe crpalmer would have an answer?