Samsung Ics Kernel Sources are out!

Search This thread

Kuratko

Apr 13, 2008
Zaječí
SIM Toolkit

Hi

Do you see this as chance for SIM toolkit availability? For me (and many people as I`ve seen) it is blocking point for ICS.

armanderli

Jun 23, 2009
Paris
I see a lot of people will be disapointed...Don't think all the CM9 problems with be ironed out with the Kernel source Code....
Sorry to be that guy...

karendar

Aug 9, 2010
Montreal
I see a lot of people will be disapointed...Don't think all the CM9 problems with be ironed out with the Kernel source Code....
Sorry to be that guy...

No, not everything will be fixed with kernel source... But having a hacked pre-compiled kernel patched to work with CM9 doesn't really do the build justice. So it can fix some of the issues and help stabilize the release.

Reactions: bluesith

arturox

Mar 12, 2012
Lima
All sources

To grab the code for yourself, head to "opensource.samsung.com" and type "i9100" in the search box.

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
First we have to fix the kernel sources itself.

Samsungs 3.0.15 is not Linux 3.0.15.
Have fun pulling mainline patches. ;-)

They renamed mach-exynos4 to mach-exynos and added a bunch of exynos5 stuff.
Which is the future. Mainline did that from 3.1 to 3.2 (The rename, not the new exynos5 stuff - the rename was likely to accomodate putting exynos5 stuff in there just like OMAP2/3/4 are all lumped under mach-omap2 and even non-OMAP devices like AM33xx are slated to be put into the mach-omap2 tree)

We're seeing classic evidence of the delay for mainlining anything Android-specific (and mainlining stuff from arch/arm in general) into the kernel tree.

It would suck less if Samsung maintained public-facing git repos like TI does - but kgene's linux-samsung tree is kinda "meh" - mainline cpuidle support for Exynos is **** for example. :(

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Heck yeah. Finally

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium
    what sort of problems wouldn't be fixable with the kernel source?

Which is the future. Mainline did that from 3.1 to 3.2 (The rename, not the new exynos5 stuff - the rename was likely to accomodate putting exynos5 stuff in there just like OMAP2/3/4 are all lumped under mach-omap2 and even non-OMAP devices like AM33xx are slated to be put into the mach-omap2 tree)

We're seeing classic evidence of the delay for mainlining anything Android-specific (and mainlining stuff from arch/arm in general) into the kernel tree.

It would suck less if Samsung maintained public-facing git repos like TI does - but kgene's linux-samsung tree is kinda "meh" - mainline cpuidle support for Exynos is **** for example. :(
    i'm tried to build ics kernel source with linaro gcc4.5.4
    it's.. lol
    kernel source going crazy

make clean not working with follow messege

scripts/Makefile.clean:17: /root/1sgs2/kernel1/drivers/media/video/samsung/mali_r2p3/Makefile -> not found this file

make[4]: *** [drivers/media/video/samsung/mali_r2p3] error 2
    make[3]: *** [drivers/media/video/samsung] error 2
    make[2]: *** [drivers/media/video] error 2
    make[1]: *** [drivers/media] error 2
    make: *** [_clean_drivers] error 2

and if you do not change some Makefile settings, than you can experience compile error

Yup, removing that mali_r2p3 crap was one of the first fixes I had to do.

Second was removing a hardcoded forced CROSS_COMPILE override - due to a typo in the top-level Makefile (= instead of ?=), CROSS_COMPILE is forced to be Samsung's location regardless of whether you've set it as an environment variable.

It's pretty common for Sammy to leave in "cruft" that needs cleanup before getting a buildable kernel.

Also, building without USE_SEC_FIPS_WHATEVERITIS (see build_kernel.sh) and u1_defconfig will fail.

I managed to build a bootable kernel, then tried to integrate CWM, and since then (even after reverting the initramfs changes for CWM) I haven't been able to boot. Unfortunately you Euros had a 6-7 hour headstart on me. :)

I'm buying the resistors for a UART cable tonight (have everything else).
    Same here. Brazil, ZTA... not even an announcement for a far away release of ICS.

I hope Samsung hasn't hidden any secrets away from the released source code (like code to very specific drivers). If they have, having the sources won't suffice for a properly working ICS Galaxy S 2.

on the other hand, this may be an indication that Samsung hasn't been able to correct bugs still present in their pseudo-official ICS release, and this is their last resort: release the code so that the developers community can fix bugs Samsung hasn't be able to fix. Not that Samsung didn't have to make such release - they should and it is high time they do so.

We know for a fact that there are bugs that Samsung is too clueless to notice/fix... But they are also too clueless to pull the fixes from the community.

See the fuel_alerted wakelock bug for example... Fixed for around 6 months by the community, still broken in Samsung kernels.