[Q] Problem with Gapps, running CM11 latest nightly

Search This thread

beramiah

Apr 1, 2014
I'm having a serious issue with my Google Apps recently. My stock rom updated over OTA so I had to re-root/reinstall CM11, and when I was installing Google Apps it failed a few times and then worked.

The problem I'm having is that Android Device Manager will be very inaccurate (up to 2,400 meters), and sometimes won't find the device at all. When I am running my stock rom the ADM finds the device very accurately (<10 meters).

I just re-flashed/reinstalled everything and I'm still getting the same issue. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Draxin

Mar 31, 2012
Oregon
Well, depending on how much time you have on your hands, and everything is backed up. You could use mattlgrof's utility to flash your firmware back to stock, reroot, dont accept OTA, then freeze the OTAupdater with an app like Titanuim backup so you don't get/have to worry about accidently accepting the OTA. And you wouldn't be bothered with the notifications if you use the stock ROM This works even better if CM11 is your daily driver, and you don't really use stock. I assume you are on BMM? If you are on safestrap, you can flash the stock slot with CM11.

If you still have the problem, you will at least know it wasn't the OTA.

Last edited:

beramiah

Apr 1, 2014
So you think the problem would be fixed if I simply flashed CM on my stock slot? I'm pretty sure it was the OTA that screwed everything up. I am on safestrap.

Draxin

Mar 31, 2012
Oregon
So you think the problem would be fixed if I simply flashed CM on my stock slot? I'm pretty sure it was the OTA that screwed everything up. I am on safestrap.

Make a backup and try it. Custom ROM's don't recieve OTA's so... If you flash right now, and the problem persists, THEN use Mattlgrof's utility and blah blah blah, so didn't recieve the OTA, and try then. As long as you used safestrap correctly, the only thing you can lose is time.

Reactions: beramiah

beramiah

Apr 1, 2014
If i recovered my stock slot to the point BEFORE i received the OTA, would that undo all the OTA changes that screwed up my phone?

Draxin

Mar 31, 2012
Oregon
My assumptions would be yes if you had one. At that point, me personally, after verifying OTA wasnt there, I would go back to safestrap and reflash cm11 and gapps. I don't know what difference it would make. I personally am always hinky about dirty flashes and such, so if I think one thing might be affecting something else I wipe and replace both. So I don't upgrade ROMs and kernels much... A lot of time setting everything back up

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 11:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

Wait you are on a xt912 right?

Reactions: tydiamond11

Draxin

Mar 31, 2012
Oregon
I do not think it has anything to do with the stock slot I have only slimkat in my stock slot and my android device is so far away it is worthless I use avast .

I use Gotya myself, it has been accurate for me if I adjust the settings... 10-20 meters

tydiamond11

Feb 3, 2013
Texas
www.geotrekweb.com
@Draxin I am using XT912, yes.

What would you suggest doing, tydiamond?
I would say just do a full clean class of cm11 and gapps maybe unless you just did when you flashed cm11 the last time. I think if you have cm11 and root and safestrap recovery you are good. The stock does not matter any more.

---------- Post added at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

I use Gotya myself, it has been accurate for me if I adjust the settings... 10-20 meters

Interesting I will look it up.

---------- Post added at 12:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

The one thing about avast is it uses root. Idk about gotya can you let me know.

Draxin

Mar 31, 2012
Oregon
Out of curiosity, are you guys using xprivacy? If so, have you checked to make sure it isn't manipulating GPS for those apps?

---------- Post added at 12:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 PM ----------

No, it is strictly a security app, so permissions for camera, messaging, and GPS. *edit* and gmail account

beramiah

Apr 1, 2014
So I recovered my pre-ota phone and installed CM11 on my slot 1 again. No problem installing gapps, however the android device manager is still having problems communicating with my device. I will try using Avast for now.

tydiamond11

Feb 3, 2013
Texas
www.geotrekweb.com
Out of curiosity, are you guys using xprivacy? If so, have you checked to make sure it isn't manipulating GPS for those apps?

---------- Post added at 12:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 PM ----------

No, it is strictly a security app, so permissions for camera, messaging, and GPS. *edit* and gmail account

I am not using xprivacy lol I got tired of all the changing settings :) I thought so about gotya

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 PM ----------

So I recovered my pre-ota phone and installed CM11 on my slot 1 again. No problem installing gapps, however the android device manager is still having problems communicating with my device. I will try using Avast for now.

yes try avast anti teft it works great but first download the normal avast and click on advanced setup and chose root.

Draxin

Mar 31, 2012
Oregon

Curious, what is the benefit of a root access security apk if you keep debugging off when not using it?

Gotya is imbedded in to the screenlock and standalone so it doesn't require internet access for a server. You can have it take pictures on a failed login, which it will send as well as GPS coordinates of where it took place to your email. You are able to send sms commands to ask it where it is, have it call you, start an alarm if you are in a large room of people, lock the device with a pin even if the SIM has been changed, and also send a message to the thief.

Just wondering if I am using the wrong security

Last edited:

tydiamond11

Feb 3, 2013
Texas
www.geotrekweb.com
Curious, what is the benefit of a root access security apk if you keep debugging off when not using it?

Gotya is imbedded in to the screenlock and standalone so it doesn't require internet access for a server. You can have it take pictures on a failed login, which it will send as well as GPS coordinates of where it took place to your email. You are able to send sms commands to ask it where it is, have it call you, start an alarm if you are in a large room of people, lock the device with a pin even if the SIM has been changed, and also send a message to the thief.

Just wondering if I am using the wrong security
So for me avast works the same except you can control when the gps turns on via sms say if the data is off and gps. everything can be done just with sms. The picture taking It will do but you have to pay for that. I see the use in gotya but I like avast. Also avast antitheft even with a wipe over like say you wipe the phone except the internal sd card it can still work. You will have to look into it.

Reactions: Draxin

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Make a backup and try it. Custom ROM's don't recieve OTA's so... If you flash right now, and the problem persists, THEN use Mattlgrof's utility and blah blah blah, so didn't recieve the OTA, and try then. As long as you used safestrap correctly, the only thing you can lose is time.
    My assumptions would be yes if you had one. At that point, me personally, after verifying OTA wasnt there, I would go back to safestrap and reflash cm11 and gapps. I don't know what difference it would make. I personally am always hinky about dirty flashes and such, so if I think one thing might be affecting something else I wipe and replace both. So I don't upgrade ROMs and kernels much... A lot of time setting everything back up

---------- Post added at 11:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

Wait you are on a xt912 right?

If i recovered my stock slot to the point BEFORE i received the OTA, would that undo all the OTA changes that screwed up my phone?
    I do not think it has anything to do with the stock slot I have only slimkat in my stock slot and my android device is so far away it is worthless I use avast .