New Tablets no Note

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Shofar1

Aug 13, 2010
Samsung has shown their new hi spec line-10.si and 8.4 inches but no new Note tablet. Does anyone think that they are done with the note line? Seems crazy but???

k9time

May 10, 2012
Samsung has shown their new hi spec line-10.si and 8.4 inches but no new Note tablet. Does anyone think that they are done with the note line? Seems crazy but???

That 8.4 tab did look sweet.. but without the pen, no thanks..

Sent from my GT-N5110 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

jazzmachine

Jan 9, 2013
Chicago
I don't expect to see a successor to the Note 8, which is really a shame because, as we all know, it's a great size for portability and s-pen use. I've been quite happy with mine. Especially after the S Tab announcement, for what ever reason, I think the 8.4 S Tab is the unofficial Note 8 successor.

However, I'm (possibly) in a different situation than most in that I have a Note 3 so I've got my S-pen there. The only thing I don't like about the Note series is I always feel like I'm limited to TW-based ROMS so that I don't lose s-pen functionality. I flashed an AOSP ROM once, but it just didn't feel right on the Note (at the time at least) since the s-pen and probably other features were unusable so I restored a nandroid of Civato's before long.

This is probably heretical to say here, but the S Tabs are exactly what I was hoping they would be (actually I was disappointed that the Tab Pro 8.4 didn't have those specs). I'm lusting after the new 8.4 hardcore... I've been considering a tablet upgrade for a while. Hardware-wise it's exactly what I had been wanting, including the lack of a pen, as I often feel sort of "limited" when browsing the development forums... however I definitely understand the disappointment of all those without another device with an s-pen to play with ;)

Lastly, I've seen the new tabs dinged a mark because they have the S5 back. I haven't used an S5, but however the back feels, as long as it's solid and stays on, the texture just isn't a factor. My Note 3 has the nicest backplate that I've seen on a Samsung device... and it's covered by a case 100% of the time. I've got no gripes with the back of my Note 8 that I can recall, as it's covered by a case 100% of the time. I wonder what percent of users of these high-end devices use them caseless? :confused: I guess it's good to mention something like that in a review, but considering it a con (independent of overall build-quality) in a pros / cons list just seems totally irrelevant to the majority of users.

afblangley

Jan 11, 2013
Has anyone heard anything about the different iterations of the new Tab S? The ones they're showing now are wifi only, but its mentioned that an LTE version is coming later. In the past, Samsung has always made a version of their tablets with telephony capability (though they were never released in the US). I use an N5100 as my primary cellphone, so I'm particularly interested in whether there will be a Tab S with phone functionality. I haven't seen this mentioned in any of the articles I've read.

Touchmetallic

May 10, 2011
Has anyone heard anything about the different iterations of the new Tab S? The ones they're showing now are wifi only, but its mentioned that an LTE version is coming later. In the past, Samsung has always made a version of their tablets with telephony capability (though they were never released in the US). I use an N5100 as my primary cellphone, so I'm particularly interested in whether there will be a Tab S with phone functionality. I haven't seen this mentioned in any of the articles I've read.

Yes, we will get a Tab S with phone functionality. Saw it in a video by Android Authority on YouTube.

On phone, can't paste link...

afblangley

Jan 11, 2013
Are you referring to SideSync? If so, that requires having a Samsung phone in addition to the tablet. I'm interested in using the Tab S solely as a smartphone. In other words, is the Tab S going to be like the Note i467 or the Note n5100?

Status
Not open for further replies.