Does the Xperia Arc S housing crack?

Search This thread

ARC X12

May 13, 2011
Good day I just sold my xperia arc and planning to get the Xperia Arc s. i really like the xperia arc because i didnt have any problem with it except the crack on the housing which occurred twice. It was replaced twice by SE. I would want to get the Arc S because of the white housing which i really like. My question is, has anyone experienced a crack on their Xperia Arc S? I do not know if they have corrected the problem with the housing especially the one near the censor with the Xperia Arc S. Hope anyone could share :)

Markus-SonyXperiaSupport

Feb 15, 2011
www.sonymobile.com
Several users have already posted they have no issues but I want to step in and comment anyway.

I work with social media at Sony Ericsson and see and hear a lot of different problems/stories and so far I have not seen one single user saying his or her arc S have cracked. :)

Flo95

Oct 31, 2010
I heard that fixed case will be available in January for the old Arc, is that right or can we already get the fixed one for our old Arc, if it has the crack?

And where can I find a german statemant that it's handled under warranty?
In a Vodafone shop here in Germany they said the problem isn't known and I'd have to pay the ~100€ myself.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

reptile64

Aug 7, 2008
Thessaloniki
Several users have already posted they have no issues but I want to step in and comment anyway.

I work with social media at Sony Ericsson and see and hear a lot of different problems/stories and so far I have not seen one single user saying his or her arc S have cracked. :)

Hi Markus and welcome to XDA forums (if this is really you) :p
Have you heard anything for the original Arc? And what about it?
Do they use a reinforced replacement or the same ****ty plastic?

Markus-SonyXperiaSupport

Feb 15, 2011
www.sonymobile.com
Thanks! I can promise it really is me. ;)

Yes. We have made changes to improve the front cover on the phone. I don't work with repair myself and I don't know what exactly has been changed. I have just been informed that some changes have been made to make the cover better.

So if you have this crack on the front cover on Xperia arc, hand it in at a service centre together with the receipt and it should be handled within warranty.

-Markus
Sony Ericsson Answers Team

Flo95

Oct 31, 2010
Ok, gonna go to a service center in early January to get the new housing :)
Thanks for the information.

Do I need to reflash it and wipe my data or can I give it to repair with my data and custom stuff like DooMKernel?
Software stuff shouldn't void warranty on the case imo

Last edited:

Flo95

Oct 31, 2010
Ok, thanks.
I ask them then and make a CWM backup before, just in case :)

leroy

Apr 21, 2006
Manchester
I have just noticed a crack on my arc s white. But gutted really as I thought that the problem had been sorted. I will post pics another day, but it is the same as those seen on arc

samuel109

Aug 8, 2011
That music player plus the track id is a brilliant mix!

Sent from my LT15i using XDA App

DemonicHawk

Jul 16, 2010
Is there a specific place where everyone is seeing this crack? I just noticed I have one on my arc :(

EDIT: Nevermind, found my answer in the other thread about housing cracks.

Last edited:

putrabiru

Dec 30, 2007
Kerteh Terengganu
...at which part of the ARC/ARC-s housing usually cracked? I saw mine does not have any, may be because of the color was black, so its hard to see, already several times falls especially in my car.... hmmm....

DemonicHawk

Jul 16, 2010
You should read the other thread here (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1144774) for more information. The crack is presumably a manufacturing defect, so it's not about whether you drop it or not. Though dropping it may quicken the process (just speculating though).

The most common place seems to be right above the proximity sensor (the first sensor to the left of the speaker on the front). Though I've also read about it near the volume rocker and on the corners of the phone.

Most of this is supposed to only apply to the original Arc, but from reading posts here it seems SE's fix apparently wasn't good enough.

leroy

Apr 21, 2006
Manchester

Attachments

• IMAG0306.jpg
    IMAG0306.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 402