CyanoBoot-- encore gets some love too! (u-boot WIP) alpha

Search This thread

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006

HacDan

Dec 28, 2009
Vergennes, VT
LOL. You translate the part about writing bcb with all zeros as being the same as quoting Linux code from a script in CWM? I guess you read the posts the way you want to read them. I'm finished with this discussion.

Sent from my Nook Color running ICS and Tapatalk

Actually if you'd gone back and read it you would see it links to this script here: https://github.com/fat-tire/android_device_bn_encore/blob/ics/recovery/postrecoveryboot.sh

Amazing how much you miss when you don't actually read something.

And that's not Linux code. That's a bash script. Big difference.

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Actually if you'd gone back and read it you would see it links to this script here: https://github.com/fat-tire/android_device_bn_encore/blob/ics/recovery/postrecoveryboot.sh

Amazing how much you miss when you don't actually read something.

And that's not Linux code. That's a bash script. Big difference.
I am appropriately ashamed. I did not follow fattire's link. Mainly because I understand zip about c. I apologize to mateorod for cluttering his effort. But leave it to you to put the barb in. I hope in the future you can resist the temptation.

HacDan

Dec 28, 2009
Vergennes, VT
I am appropriately ashamed. I did not follow fattire's link. Mainly because I understand zip about c. I apologize to mateorod for cluttering his effort. But leave it to you to put the barb in. I hope in the future you can resist the temptation.

Well if you didn't act like you were sitting high on the horse, maybe the responses you receive when you're wrong, wouldn't be so harsh.

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Well if you didn't act like you were sitting high on the horse, maybe the responses you receive when you're wrong, wouldn't be so harsh.
I don't get any harsh responses except from you. Why is that? Are you the only one who sees my high riding?

Edit: Fattire, I apologize for cluttering your thread with this nonsense. I am finished. HacDan, do not answer my retorical question.

Last edited:

mateorod

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 16, 2011
New Orleans
www.gigmasters.com
Hey, thanks Dan. I was able to quickly implement that change on the way out the door, and it has indeed stabilized the size issue. Which will, I believe, make the fix functional, although not quite finished. I had tried importing some commands from the omap config file that were set up like that (specifically the rewrite to bcb after an update.zip is applied) but the way I was doing it as breaking the rest of the function.

So now I just need to winnow out whatever is writing the boot data and encrypted characters. I'll do it tonight. Thanks for the tip.

I will say it looks pretty cool, due to the framework tonsofquestions (I believe) put together. Very easy to put in.

My plan is to only change the default to recovery behavior in the event of a missing bcb file, since the other two eventualities (too small or empty, if memory serves) can be addressed by the menu option. Hopefully that lets us boot into recovery from the ROM, because as it is I can still only get to recovery through cyanoboot.

Last edited:

fattire

Oct 11, 2010
www.eff.org
Way to go!

Wow... amazing! Way to go!

My plan is to only change the default to recovery behavior in the event of a missing bcb file, since the other two eventualities (too small or empty, if memory serves)

Yeah-- gotta make sure that's the case-- don't want to get into a bootloop situation in the other direction, so make sure the menu will override the behavior if the file isn't found. (It should... but if it did, wouldn't that let you get out of a busted recovery loop now?) You might need to move things around to give the menu priority. I can't remember :p

Reactions: mateorod

ahnuts72

Jun 6, 2010
Disregard i was being impatient after an hour or so of pulling what little hair
i have left out and wearing google out i found what i needed to know.

I was wanting to change the menu to what's on my nook instead of
just mmc or sd.
I have compiled a few apps for ubuntu when I couldn't find a deb package have compiled cm from source a couple of times but im not sure on the build tools or how to configure the build for this .
Im trying to learn a bit instead of asking for someone to do it for me
but im not sure how to configure the build or which config file to use.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my Milestone X using XDA App

Last edited:

mateorod

Nov 16, 2011
New Orleans
www.gigmasters.com
Disregard i was being impatient after an hour or so of pulling what little hair
i have left out and wearing google out i found what i needed to know.

I was wanting to change the menu to what's on my nook instead of
just mmc or sd.
I have compiled a few apps for ubuntu when I couldn't find a deb package have compiled cm from source a couple of times but im not sure on the build tools or how to configure the build for this .
Im trying to learn a bit instead of asking for someone to do it for me
but im not sure how to configure the build or which config file to use.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my Milestone X using XDA App

If you're just asking how to compile the uboot, this is where I learned it.

Git clone the verygreen bootloader, but make sure to switch to the cb branch to get the latest changes.

Edit: Just saw your update. I was responding to an email alert that just had your original post.

Reactions: ahnuts72

ahnuts72

Jun 6, 2010
Thnx mateorod your link was what i found just getting impatient in my old age
i guess.

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
I though I would describe something that I have developed to aid in getting out of recovery flag bootloops.

I have also discovered what sometimes causes them in the first place. First, the user uses ROM Manager or some other software to set the recovery flag to boot into CWM. The older versions of CWM (3.2.0.1 and older) have an option in the mounts menu to format /boot. Not knowing any better, some users do that. Then they flash their ROM and hard power off to exit. They hard power off either because they did not know they should choose "reboot" from the menu or by CWM locking up when they try. When the user does that, CWM does not clear the recovery flag. So next time it boots, it tries to go to recovery as we have discussed here before. If they formatted /boot, there is no CWM there so we have our bootloop. Fortunately, that option to format /boot is missing in the newest CWM.

What I have done is create a new CWM bootable SD with fattire's/Racks' new version (5.5.0.4) and Cyanoboot. What I have done differently is to not only include CWM as uImage/uRamdisk, but also to include it as uRecImg/uRecRam. In a recovery bootloop, those are the files the system is looking for. Therefore it will boot to them. Then the user can flash the new CWM to emmc to fix the problem. This has worked for at least one user in a recovery bootloop. The new CWM image file is attached to my tips thread linked in my signature.

The reason I am posting this in this thread is, I still think it is a very good idea for the option of clearing the recovery flag to be in Cyanoboot. Mateorod, I hope you are making progress in adding that. It is as important as ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dj-Gutz

fattire

Oct 11, 2010
www.eff.org
The reason I am posting this in this thread is, I still think it is a very good idea for the option of clearing the recovery flag to be in Cyanoboot. Mateorod, I hope you are making progress in adding that. It is as important as ever.

I thought that was in progress (see previous posts)... Unless it was abandoned (?) in which case I may have to look into it.

mateorod

Nov 16, 2011
New Orleans
www.gigmasters.com
Hey yeah, still plugging away at it. DizzyDen is lending a hand at it as we speak.

It didn't seem like I was too far off, but I'll be damned if I have been able to get it to act right. I've built and tested MANY times over, but it hasn't come together.

I contacted DizzyDen, since he mentioned being willing to work on it, and he's got my progress now.

So, the project isn't dead, just slow...:eek:

Reactions: leapinlar

byproxy

Apr 29, 2010
i have cyanoboot loaded to emmc and it's working great.

i'm wondering how i'd put cwm recovery on my sd card such that if/when i have issues and can't load my rom from emmc i can load into the cwm on the sd card to fix things.

right now i have a seperate sd card with cwm on it specifically for fixing the nook but it would save time if i didn't have to swap the card out when i needed to clear and reload.

thanks for the info!

cybertimber2007

Oct 31, 2007
Reviving this thread:

I've noticed an issue for awhile that CyanoBoot doesn't like that the word "update" is missing from the ROMs, and fails to see the zip if it's missing "update".
Updates used to be formatted as "update-cm-7.0.3-encore-signed.zip". Now they are formatted like "cm-7.2.0-encore.zip". It's easy to add "update-" to the front, but could we modify the search script to look for the new format? If someone can help me figure out how to get to work on it I'd take a shot at fixing it myself.

I'd also love if CyanoBoot was meged into the CM7 branch... but one thing at a time.

Last edited:

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Reviving this thread:

I've noticed an issue for awhile that CyanoBoot doesn't like that the word "update" is missing from the ROMs, and fails to see the zip if it's missing "update".
Updates used to be formatted as "update-cm-7.0.3-encore-signed.zip". Now they are formatted like "cm-7.2.0-encore.zip". It's easy to add "update-" to the front, but could we modify the search script to look for the new format? If someone can help me figure out how to get to work on it I'd take a shot at fixing it myself.

I'd also love if CyanoBoot was meged into the CM7 branch... but one thing at a time.
If you are talking about the SD install script for verygreen's SD installation, I have already modified the script to recognize the new naming standard. Look at my tips thread linked in my signature.

fattire

Oct 11, 2010
www.eff.org

CB is really a device-specific thing and probably doesn't belong in the cm7 branch. Its more "meta" than any particular os, though it is bundled and installed w cm.

One thought if anyone is looking for a project-- so the acclaim/nooktablet version of cyanoboot is a little ahead of the nc version... anyone want to update the menu code?

cybertimber2007

Oct 31, 2007
If you are talking about the SD install script for verygreen's SD installation, I have already modified the script to recognize the new naming standard. Look at my tips thread linked in my signature.
Ahh, didn't know someone had a modified version, but still, if you install CM9 on the verygreen based SD card, CyanoBoot somehow replaces it. Can't we update the version that gets installed with the rom so the modified version is no longer needed, except for the initial SD card install?

CB is really a device-specific thing and probably doesn't belong in the cm7 branch. Its more "meta" than any particular os, though it is bundled and installed w cm.
So... I rephrase and say bundle with CM7? Is it worth it?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys.

So in the last couple months I ported the encore u-boot menu/console/configuration stuff over to acclaim (Nook Tablet). The acclaim really needed the menu plus had a ton of "2nd bootloader" issues that needed to be addressed to fix the locked bootloader bug. On nemith's suggestion, the u-boot really isn't just for cm7/9 (it can be used with any OS), so I called the newer bootloader, "CyanoBoot". Kind of a working title until I think of something better.

In the process of the acclaim port, the UI menuing interface was rewritten and some small features were added.

Anyhoo... Last night on a whim I decided to port the improvements back to encore's u-boot. So there's a version now for encore as well so that NC can enjoy the UI benefits.

It's similar to the acclaim version, minus fastboot (which we don't need, since encore doesn't use dedicated boot and recovery partitions) and minus a 'clear bootcount' setting since, well, development is up to speed w/NC that such a feature seems not necessary.

That said, here's the new stuff:

• new exciting splash
    • Indicator in top left. "E" means u-boot is loading from emmc. "S" means it's loading from Sdcard.
    • Additionally you can now see the system's "boot count" - the number after the indicator described above. If this count goes up, your boot count is not being cleared as it should be.
    • Instruction to "hold down "n" for menu"
    • boot menu is way easier to use, clearer, and uncluttered.
    • all the old stuff is there (Nook Color Tweaks' boot settings), combo keys, etc.

If you feel bold and are willing to risk everything, give it a try and let me know if you run into issues. Think of this as an alpha. If people like it, I'll push it to the repo as the default.

To install: It's just "u-boot.bin", and it goes in the first partition of your SD or EMMC. Make sure you have a good backup in case things screw up.

NOTICE: CYANOBOOT (WORKING TITLE) IS HIGHLY EXPERIMENTAL AND IS NOT INTENDED TO BE USED BY NON-DEVELOPERS AND/OR THOSE UNWILLING TO ACCEPT FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY UNTOWARD CONSEQUENCES OF USING (OR ATTEMPTING TO USE) THE SOFTWARE. ALL SUCH ACTIVITY MUST OCCUR *ENTIRELY AT YOUR OWN RISK* AND YOU ACCEPT ALL CONSEQUENCES FOR DOING SO. THE USE OR ATTEMPTED USE MAY HAVE UNINTENDED RESULTS, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO LOSS OF DATA, DAMAGE TO HARDWARE, AND/OR EXPLOSIVE DIARRHEA. CYANOBOOT IS NOT ENDORSED, AFFILIATED, SPONSORED, NOR ASSOCIATED WITH THE "DAS U-BOOT" PROJECT, GOOGLE, BARNES AND NOBLE LLC, TEXAS INSTRUMENTS, DENX., NOR ANY OF THEIR PARTNERS, OWNERS, EMPLOYERS, AFFILIATES, CLIENTS, SUBCONTRACTORS, OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, ADMINSTRATORS, INFORMATION PROVIDERS, ETC. EXCEPT INSOFAR AS THEY HAVE PROVIDED AND LICENSED SOURCE CODE TO BE FURTHER MODIFIED AND DISTRIBUTED. SEE THE RELEVANT GNU PUBLIC LICENSE FOR LICENSING DETAILS AND OTHER DISCLAIMERS. THIS SOFTWARE IS OBVIOUSLY INTENDED FOR USE ONLY BY THOSE WHO ARE AUTHORIZED TO DO SO.

Aside from thanks mentioned in the acclaim thread, I want to add thanks to hacdan and racks for testing for me on emmc and sd.

Seriously though, as opposed to the acclaim version that was in development for weeks, this has been tested for like an hour. On the other hand I actually have a device to try it.

Update March 28, 2012

So thanks to some hard work from tonsofquestions, we've got a new version with some very cool improvements!!!

New Stuff

* The UI now dims out any option in the menu that isn't available
    * some nice code refactoring that I was too lazy to do ;)
    * the "altboot" button combo (up and down volume keys) will now choose regular boot if altboot is set as default (and vice versa)
    * You can now enable a previously "hidden" menu option (plus a second configuration menu) by doing the following commands:

adb shell echo "0" > /rom/u-boot.altboot
    adb shell echo "0" > /rom/u-boot.device

This unlocks a "built-in" default menu, effectively doing the same thing as the Tablet Tweaks build options, only right from u-boot itself!

Please test from various configurations (emmc/sdcard/normalboot/altboot/etc/etc)... I haven't tested this one as thoroughly.. or really thoroughly at all. And thanks to tonsofquestions for the contribution!

updates:
    9/20/12: Two minor fixes...
    9/19/12: Moved to a new repository at nookiedevs.
    3/28/12: New features from tonsofquestions. See update notice above.
    3/16/12: Clear the "Push n for menu" message on screen once boot has been determined.

cyanoboot-12-9-20.tar.gz
    (source)
    New slightly cleaned up version

I've actually got a new version that has a few fixes:

* Replace "E" and "S" with "EMMC" and "SD" for clarity. This shows you where you're booting FROM.
    * fix (I think) bootcount in top left corner to be more correctier. (convert unsigned long to string rather than just unsigned)
    * better layout and code parity to match that of NookTablet
    * fix to u-boot.altboot and u-boot.device to work properly with the menu (uses proper "1" string detection)
    * cleanup to menu layout
    * code cleanup (matches NT now)
    * moved menu.h to /include directory
    * more complete credits to recognize other contributors. Eventually will probably want to eliminate this entirely.

Can someone test this for me? Please verify that it works from EMMC, SDcard, etc. Also that the u-boot.altboot and u-boot.device files in /rom work as expected (set to "0" to create default boot settings which can then be set from u-boot itself)

Also, is there any point in enabling fastboot?

File is here.
    Updated!

Thanks everyone who's been trying it. So far, so good.

A heads up-- the source is now moved to NookieDevs here. The top post has also been updated to use the link from two posts ago and now points to the updated source.

Thanks again! In a few days if all is kosher, we can push it to the device to be used in future builds.

ft
    New version, new features!

So thanks to some hard work from tonsofquestions, we've got a new version with some very cool improvements!!!

New Stuff

* The UI now dims out any option in the menu that isn't available
    * some nice code refactoring that I was too lazy to do ;)
    * the "altboot" button combo (up and down volume keys) will now choose regular boot if altboot is set as default (and vice versa)
    * You can now enable a previously "hidden" menu option (plus a second configuration menu) by doing the following commands:

adb shell echo "0" > /rom/u-boot.altboot
    adb shell echo "0" > /rom/u-boot.device

This unlocks a "built-in" default menu, effectively doing the same thing as the Tablet Tweaks build options, only right from u-boot itself! (If you've set these files to "1" before via Tablet Tweaks, you won't need to do anything. The files just need to have been created is all...)

Please test from various configurations (emmc/sdcard/normalboot/altboot/etc/etc)... I haven't tested this one as thoroughly.. or really thoroughly at all. And thanks to tonsofquestions for the contribution!

cyanoboot-2012-03-28-alpha0-fullofbugs-encore.tar.gz
    MD5: a0e1c43a1102786f0dd04688136246b6
    (source)
    A slightly newer one.

Two more fixes:

Timestamps at the bottom of the menu now show the actual build time and not modification date of the menu.
    The "n" glyph is now shorter and fatter, matching the button a little better.

Get it here:

cyanoboot-12-9-20.tar.gz
    (updating OP)