tethering with developer unlocked verizon trophy?

Search This thread

demf

Feb 18, 2011
I researched a lot in google and it seems that there's a certain hack can do this, but I failed to find out the details. Does this tool exist? If yes, can anybody share its name? I don't mean to install a customized rom.
My verizon htc trophy is developer unlocked, btw.
Thanks.

TheXev

Aug 12, 2010
Corry PA
Developer unlock MAY allow you to do an interop unlock which might let you install the policy.. but the default wireless driver isn't really comparable with tethering (at least in Mango 8107.. trust me, I tired to mod it to work).

If you already have the official Verizon 8107 release and drivers installed, I can tell you already that you are SOL with the policy unlocking methods.

I best way to do it is to install HSPL and flash a rom with fullunlock and a compatible wireless driver.

These roms aren't without their own drawbacks (ansars Tango build has a few weird things going on, but mostly okay, his Mango build is completely busted), but worth a shot.

Do you have true dev unlock, or just chevron unlock?

Last edited:
Reactions: demf

demf

Feb 18, 2011
True dev unlock.
My OS Version is 7.10.8107.79. I didn't see any update newer than that on my phone. Am I OK for the policy unlocking method?
According to your other post, we still need to pay more for tethering (verizon), right? If this is the case, I'll have to give up. Android + T-Mobile should make things easier.

thenetavenger

Aug 16, 2010
Really?

True dev unlock.
My OS Version is 7.10.8107.79. I didn't see any update newer than that on my phone. Am I OK for the policy unlocking method?
According to your other post, we still need to pay more for tethering (verizon), right? If this is the case, I'll have to give up. Android + T-Mobile should make things easier.

Really? So if you can't illegally tether, you give up on WP7?

That is logical, where again?

Verizon sucks, with you there. However if you can't afford a MiFi, Tmobile would be your best option with the HTC Radar.

WP7 + Tethering + TMobile = What you want.

There are things about WP7 that are not as easy to mangle as Android, but this is where people need to stop for a moment and realize these 'restrictions' are the reason WP7 is fast and uber secure, especially compared to Android.

Android's overall OS model makes Windows95 look secure and impressive.

Just running an App update on Android, with an official Google App, there are so many ways to slip malware and piggy back into the device it is amazing more people don't realize their phone is compromised. (A botted switch/router watching for update bytes that is sitting between you and the Google Market is all that is needed to slap some malware into the package and the device is compromised.) - And that is one simple example out of about 20 my engineers have reproduced.

Run from Android, even if it is to an meh iPhone; however, I suggest you stick with WP7 and hold on for the ride. This year will be like 1990 when everyone looks back at when they noticed Win3.0 and how it changed things for the better.

PS So you paid for your Developer Unlock capability of WP7, but can't afford a Mifi/Hotspot?

demf

Feb 18, 2011
I thought I could legally tether with T-Mobile without a tethering plan. After some research I knew that I couldn't. Anyway, rumors said if you don't do it too much you are OK. This should be my case. I rarely need tethering, but just want to have the ability when tethering is needed.
Dev unlock is $99 only, but for tethering plan you have to pay it every month.
You seem to be a big fan of WP7, but I have to say WP7 won't have much chance in the middle of Android and iPhone. If you prefer security to functionality I suggest you go to DOS where TCP/IP was not supported internally.:D

Really? So if you can't illegally tether, you give up on WP7?

That is logical, where again?

Verizon sucks, with you there. However if you can't afford a MiFi, Tmobile would be your best option with the HTC Radar.

WP7 + Tethering + TMobile = What you want.

There are things about WP7 that are not as easy to mangle as Android, but this is where people need to stop for a moment and realize these 'restrictions' are the reason WP7 is fast and uber secure, especially compared to Android.

Android's overall OS model makes Windows95 look secure and impressive.

Just running an App update on Android, with an official Google App, there are so many ways to slip malware and piggy back into the device it is amazing more people don't realize their phone is compromised. (A botted switch/router watching for update bytes that is sitting between you and the Google Market is all that is needed to slap some malware into the package and the device is compromised.) - And that is one simple example out of about 20 my engineers have reproduced.

Run from Android, even if it is to an meh iPhone; however, I suggest you stick with WP7 and hold on for the ride. This year will be like 1990 when everyone looks back at when they noticed Win3.0 and how it changed things for the better.

PS So you paid for your Developer Unlock capability of WP7, but can't afford a Mifi/Hotspot?

TheXev

Aug 12, 2010
Corry PA
I'd pay for tethering if Verizon offered it on the Trophy, just because its my only net option right now (dailup doesn't count!). Since they don't offer a tethering plan, and installing HSPL and a custom rom will give you tethering.. why not do that instead?

I made a mistake in my one post though, I meant to say 8107 official rom (not 8807...). You must have the Mango v1 rom to be able to perform interop unlock... even then.. it prob won't work with just the policy insert... if your going to go threw the trouble of using an older stock rom, you might as well just do HSPL and test out ansars Tango rom, which will have all the features you're looking for.

So what I am saying is... Verizon doesn't offer an official tethering package like they do for other tethering phones, but you can add the tethering feature with a custom rom. I have been using tethering, and they have yet to try and charge me more (since they probably aren't looking for it on a phone that shouldn't support it). Then again, I always update my DUN id in settings to remove the dun part of the id (it should be something like dun, I make it match my normal data id).. I've done this since 2006 to use tethering on my Verizon Samsung A930.

If Verizon wants me to pay extra for internet, they can get off their lazy asses and run DSL out to my house, then I'll pay for it. :mad: I'll pay for it on my Trophy if they want to officially support the tethering feature in WP7 or ask me too. They have yet to ask me to pay extra for it.

Last edited:

EEwny

Mar 31, 2012
Why not get a 4g phone and get free hotspot without breaking tos.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using XDA

TheXev

Aug 12, 2010
Corry PA
Look up 16407 on Verizon's coverage map. We were in the FINAL phase of the roll out for 3G, I doubt 4G will be any different. I'll wait a few years when LTE is done rolling out then think about it.

TheXev

Aug 12, 2010
Corry PA
True Dev unlock is simple, you bought an account from Microsoft, and used their official software to perform the unlock to let you side load apps. With the legit Chevron lock being discounted, its the only way we know of now.

Levels of unlock (as far as I understand them)

From lowest to highest levels:
Dev unlock (Chevron, official Microsoft)
Interop unlock (modding dev settings to sideload an unlimited number of apps)
Root/policy unlock (You get this by installing WP7 Root Tools on a stock rom)
Full unlock (Flash an unlocked rom).

The official WP7 Root Tools website has a great writeup on what all the different unlocks do.

As far as manually doing interop unlock on the Verizon Trophy, to do it, you need to be running the Mango v1 rom ("RUU_Spark_W_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.01.605.04_2K_new_partition_RELEASE" or the 2.01.605.04 drivers). If you have newer drivers installed then that such as the newest 2.04.605.04, or the 2.01.605.10 drivers, using the older methods to perform interop unlock won't work.

I think there might be an newer method, but I never got it working in my test.

As far as applying the tethering policies and registry settings, the only way to really do it is to use the Mango v1 rom as your base, then apply registry changes settings after interop unlock with a registry editor. IF you use Zune update and install newer drivers, those changes are gone, and the Mango v3 drivers (2.04.605.04 that come with the official driver) totally do not work using this method.

I am exploring the option of using a driver from the HTC Titian, but the long way of putting that onto a stock rom would require somehow getting Yuki certificate installed on a stock phone (might be possible now or soon?), then creating a custom.cab to replace the wireless driver. That's the path I'd love to see.

LiFePo4

Aug 19, 2011
Oregon
I have not found a nice list of the registry changes required on the VZW Trophy to even try to get ICS working. Do you have these handy?

I have seen reg edits for other phones and tried one XAP that supposedly would do the changes for "any" device (although it was only tested on Samsung) and it did not work. All I get is the connection not available/settings are wrong error.:confused: Thanks

P.S. I am on Tango now and tried with the v1 HTC drivers and v2; no difference.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Developer unlock MAY allow you to do an interop unlock which might let you install the policy.. but the default wireless driver isn't really comparable with tethering (at least in Mango 8107.. trust me, I tired to mod it to work).

If you already have the official Verizon 8107 release and drivers installed, I can tell you already that you are SOL with the policy unlocking methods.

I best way to do it is to install HSPL and flash a rom with fullunlock and a compatible wireless driver.

These roms aren't without their own drawbacks (ansars Tango build has a few weird things going on, but mostly okay, his Mango build is completely busted), but worth a shot.

Do you have true dev unlock, or just chevron unlock?