[Q] reccomended Rom, kernel, mod or configuration for best battery life

Search This thread

Joecascio2000

Slick V3 plus MEs kernel. Lower min clock speed and use badass governor. I've never had anything better. I'm currently using MEs EG8 ROM, which I like better, but battery life is slightly less then when I used Slick.

Sent from my LG-E970 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

dandrumheller

Jul 10, 2010
Southern Maine / Seacoast NH
hello everybody

the question is simple..... i have a E790 and i want a Rom, kernel, mod or configuration for best battery life... any suggestions?

Best configuration for extended battery life = power off when not in active use.

Not trying to be a jerk here, but while stating that question is simple, the answer most certainly isn't. There are a huge number of factors that play into battery life, and you haven't provided any info at all to us to provide good answer.

The answer depends on how you use the device. Do you need extended idle time but not high performance? underclock, undervolt, freeze all your background apps. Do you have lots of stuff running in the background? Try greenify paid with xposed features. Do you want the most possible screen on time? drop your brightness as low as you can stand it. Run in Airplane mode. Are you in a crappy service area? Turn off cell radio and use Wifi only.

We don't know what you need for connectivity, or how you use the device, or what apps you run, or anything else. We need tons more info to try to chase battery life. We don't know what will constitute "acceptable" performance, to you, when down-tuning processor speeds and brightness and things. These are all things you need to experiment with to find what works best for you.

In general, I've found that for my use-case, the new 4.3 ROMs are marginally better on battery life than prior versions. I typically get about 4 hours screen on time, with around 20 hours up-time, and minimal phone calls (15min per day or so) and end up having 15-20% battery left when I put the phone on the charger. In moderate use, I look for wakelocks to be roughly twice my screen on time. I don't run much processor intensive stuff, the majority of my awake time is spent at minimum clock speed.

endeavor2908

Oct 19, 2012
Min screen brightness

hello everybody

the question is simple..... i have a E790 and i want a Rom, kernel, mod or configuration for best battery life... any suggestions?

Min screen brightness, lower timeout, eco mode, task killer, data off and airplane mode at the office (or school or whenever you use "silent mode" instead)

dandrumheller

Jul 10, 2010
Southern Maine / Seacoast NH
Min screen brightness, lower timeout, eco mode, task killer, data off and airplane mode at the office (or school or whenever you use "silent mode" instead)

Be very careful with task killers. If you try to kill stuff that auto restarts, you will end up causing battery draining start / kill loops. In general task killers haven't been necessary since gingerbread.

Sent from my Optimus G using Tapatalk 4

MiZrY

Dec 15, 2011
California
Be very careful with task killers. If you try to kill stuff that auto restarts, you will end up causing battery draining start / kill loops. In general task killers haven't been necessary since gingerbread.

Sent from my Optimus G using Tapatalk 4

As stated before, the 4.3 roms seem to have better battery life then the previous versions.

Certain apps can help with battery life as well. "Tasker" can be setup to disable functions when not needed.

"SetCPU" can be used to setup profiles to change min/max frequencies and change governors when certain conditions are met... this can also be done with Tasker but requires a good understanding of Tasker functions.

"Greenify" is also a good app. It will hibernate apps that you choose. This can prevent certain apps from running in the backround until you actually use them.

Last edited:

endeavor2908

Oct 19, 2012
Turn off animations

Turn off animations and transitions, keep the minimum amount of widgets and location services from social apps

moiz.mithani

Apr 16, 2013
karachi
Kernel Confusion

Dear Concern,

m using AT&T LG Optimus G (e970), i just rooted my phone and unlocked my bootloader. the confusion m having ritenow is

m about to install the new custom rom in my phone but m confused about the kernel thing that ppl used to talk here .. my current software information is

Android Version :: 4.1.2
Kernel Version ::: 3.4.0
Software Version : E97020J

Can anyone guide me if i need to flash kernel while installing the custom roms *4.4.2*, and what are the risks?

is it necessary to flash kernel or not ??

Regards.
Moiz

jxcorex28

Feb 20, 2014
Tuscaloosa, Al.
Its not necessary to flash separate kernel..custom ROMs come with embedded kernels sometimes modified from existing kernels,such as mizry's AK kernel...flashing separate kernels are optional

Sent from my LG Optimus G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: moiz.mithani

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hello everybody

Best configuration for extended battery life = power off when not in active use.

Not trying to be a jerk here, but while stating that question is simple, the answer most certainly isn't. There are a huge number of factors that play into battery life, and you haven't provided any info at all to us to provide good answer.

The answer depends on how you use the device. Do you need extended idle time but not high performance? underclock, undervolt, freeze all your background apps. Do you have lots of stuff running in the background? Try greenify paid with xposed features. Do you want the most possible screen on time? drop your brightness as low as you can stand it. Run in Airplane mode. Are you in a crappy service area? Turn off cell radio and use Wifi only.

We don't know what you need for connectivity, or how you use the device, or what apps you run, or anything else. We need tons more info to try to chase battery life. We don't know what will constitute "acceptable" performance, to you, when down-tuning processor speeds and brightness and things. These are all things you need to experiment with to find what works best for you.

In general, I've found that for my use-case, the new 4.3 ROMs are marginally better on battery life than prior versions. I typically get about 4 hours screen on time, with around 20 hours up-time, and minimal phone calls (15min per day or so) and end up having 15-20% battery left when I put the phone on the charger. In moderate use, I look for wakelocks to be roughly twice my screen on time. I don't run much processor intensive stuff, the majority of my awake time is spent at minimum clock speed.
    Its not necessary to flash separate kernel..custom ROMs come with embedded kernels sometimes modified from existing kernels,such as mizry's AK kernel...flashing separate kernels are optional

Sent from my LG Optimus G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app