[Q] USB Malfunction

Search This thread

simplytimo

Nov 30, 2010
I was using Miui ROM (miui_nian_sc03e_4.4.10) and decided to move out.

I used Mobile Odin (MobileODINLite-v4.10 and MobileODINLite-v4.10) to flash Stock Rom (I9305XXUEML8_I9305OLBEML6_I9305XXUEMK1_HOME.tar).

After flashing the stock rom I realized I was unable to connect to my PC.

I am on Windows 8.1 and it says that the USB is not recognized or malfunctioned.

I tried various combinations using *#7284# (I see Qualcom Settings with this code - read somewhere that I should see Samsung) and *#0808#, 'uninstalled the Samsung USB Driver, Rebooted, Reinstalled, Rebooted', Uninstall Kies and reinstall, used the toothpick trick and still it does not work. Also tried framaroot.

Under Device Manager in my laptop I can also see an error message 'Unknown USB Device'.

I have also tried to use another laptop on Win7 as well as changing different original cables without success.

Of course I have also done, factory reset, wipe anything that the default recovery allow me to wipe.

The phone is still charging as normal and I do not seem to have problems with calling or messaging and no functions seems to be affected accept that I am unable to access my phone storage from a pc/laptop now.

Seeking the advise of all the gurus here. Can someone advise or point me to any other resource?

Last edited:

painball

Mar 15, 2013
Sparta
Hi.

Try on other USB cable. Maybe it broke meanwhile. Also try on other PC. You need to check all options before going to hardware related problems. If it won't help, look into USB port and gently clean it up (mechanical way, no compressed air).

Wysłane z mojego GT-I9305 za pomocą Tapatalk 2

simplytimo

Nov 30, 2010
Hi.

Try on other USB cable. Maybe it broke meanwhile. Also try on other PC. You need to check all options before going to hardware related problems. If it won't help, look into USB port and gently clean it up (mechanical way, no compressed air).

Tried that. I used a fine tooth brush to brush inside too.

I used various cable that work on my other phone but it still didnt work this phone. S3 LTE

Wonder if it was due to Miui Rom and maybe the way they manage the storage. Any ideas?

painball

Mar 15, 2013
Sparta
Yeah. It may use different protocol and official soft may require driver that you don't have on your PC. However, trying with other PC is highly suggested. Then return to miui to check if it's 100% software related. You can also try switching to USB 2.0 port. Back in the days I had problem with Android devices with my Dell laptop on USB 3.0 port while on 2.0 everything was fine.

spiderman07

Dec 13, 2012
when you we're on MIUI and connected phone to PC it had windows 8.1? what version exactly?

i have windows 8.1 Pro N and couldn't see phone in windows...turned out i needed a media center pack(or something like that)..installed and worked like a charm.

simplytimo

Nov 30, 2010
Yeah. It may use different protocol and official soft may require driver that you don't have on your PC. However, trying with other PC is highly suggested. Then return to miui to check if it's 100% software related. You can also try switching to USB 2.0 port. Back in the days I had problem with Android devices with my Dell laptop on USB 3.0 port while on 2.0 everything was fine.

k

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have tried 4 different PCs. All USB 2.0 and I am on Stock 4.3 and cannot go back to Miui since my phone can't seem to be recognised by the pc now.

simplytimo

Nov 30, 2010
when you we're on MIUI and connected phone to PC it had windows 8.1? what version exactly?

i have windows 8.1 Pro N and couldn't see phone in windows...turned out i needed a media center pack(or something like that)..installed and worked like a charm.

I am now on Stock Rom and it cannot be seen on all 4 laptops. Win 7 Home and Win 8.1. It used to work on Win 7 so I believe it should still work on Win7 with same set of cables.

Wonder if its somthing that messed up in the transition of Miui to Stock ROM using Mobile Odin.

spiderman07

Dec 13, 2012
it could be related to mobile odin....especially if you didn't made a full wipe since those 2 are very different...

flash stock via Odin 3.09 as AP from PC, not mobile odin and it will work...

in download mode(odin mode) phone will show up for sure...on windows 8.1 or 7...just wait for windows to install drivers automatically...

simplytimo

Nov 30, 2010
it could be related to mobile odin....especially if you didn't made a full wipe since those 2 are very different...

flash stock via Odin 3.09 as AP from PC, not mobile odin and it will work...

in download mode(odin mode) phone will show up for sure...on windows 8.1 or 7...just wait for windows to install drivers automatically...

Thanks for your advise.

Tried to do that but odin does not pick up still. :(

Do you think android emulator (apk) can be downloaded to reboot the usb/storage or whatever so it will return to original state?

I am not a programmer but I thought I read that some commands can be executed.