[Jan 16] [Tutorial] Use Your Windows Phone 7 HD2 As A Portable USB Drive

Search This thread

cdguider

Nov 23, 2006
Georgia
Source: How to Use Your Windows Phone 7 Device as a Portable USB Drive

If you find this usefel please click Thanks.

With the new Microsoft Windows Phone 7 platform the possibility of having access to the file system on your device has disappeared compared to the Older Windows Phones. However with a couple simple registry edits you are able to have access again to the file system on your Windows Phone 7 , just like an USB drive.

As mentioned above it takes just a few steps in the Registry of your computer to make your Windows Phone device visible as one of the drives in “My Computer” If you are not familiar with the Registry Editor I will warn you that caution is needed and you might not want to try this.

Steps to activate the USB mode of your Windows Phone 7 device.
•Open Windows Registry Editor by typing regedit in your start menu
•Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEM
•Then go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetEnumUSB (and not the other ControlSet01 or 02 if you have them) and then search for ZuneDriver using the Edit-> Find in the top menu bar
•One of the folders you will find close by is named VID_045E&PID_04EC&MI_00
•The sub folder under one or two below are your possible devices. In my case there are 2 devices.

RegEdit.png

•Change ShowInShell from 0 to 1<- this enable Windows Explorer to show the device when pluged in
•Change PortableDeviceNameSpaceExcludeFromShell from 1 to 0
•Change EnableLegacySupport from 0 to 1 <- this enables Windows Explorer to detect the device.
•You can repeat these steps for your other sub-folders under VID_045E&PID_04EC&MI_00 if you have more devices.
Now you just connect your Windows Phone 7 device to your desktop. Your Zune software will automatically, let it sync. Once it is done close your Zune Desktop application and now you will be able to see and browse your device as a drive in “My Computer”

WP7.png

If you have any questions ask or send me a PM.

Last edited:

5do12

Mar 7, 2006
XP?

What about us poor bastards still using the good ol' XP? There's no ZuneDriver entry in the registry.

kiloah

Sep 13, 2010
Dubai, UAE
Worked for me.

Just a question, if i put music MP3 files in the Music folder, will it work?

because I see special album and artist files in the artists and albums folders.

Thanks.

ahmedsalem89

Feb 25, 2010
well I wasn't asking if I should, I'm wondering if it will work?

because i synced around 1000 songs first time and it took so long i had to leave it over night..

I'd Like To know if it would work too
I noticed that mp3 file synced using zune are renamed
if i just put songs in any folder there will it be detected by zune?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Source: How to Use Your Windows Phone 7 Device as a Portable USB Drive

If you find this usefel please click Thanks.

With the new Microsoft Windows Phone 7 platform the possibility of having access to the file system on your device has disappeared compared to the Older Windows Phones. However with a couple simple registry edits you are able to have access again to the file system on your Windows Phone 7 , just like an USB drive.

As mentioned above it takes just a few steps in the Registry of your computer to make your Windows Phone device visible as one of the drives in “My Computer” If you are not familiar with the Registry Editor I will warn you that caution is needed and you might not want to try this.

Steps to activate the USB mode of your Windows Phone 7 device.
    •Open Windows Registry Editor by typing regedit in your start menu
    •Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEM
    •Then go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetEnumUSB (and not the other ControlSet01 or 02 if you have them) and then search for ZuneDriver using the Edit-> Find in the top menu bar
    •One of the folders you will find close by is named VID_045E&PID_04EC&MI_00
    •The sub folder under one or two below are your possible devices. In my case there are 2 devices.

RegEdit.png

•Change ShowInShell from 0 to 1<- this enable Windows Explorer to show the device when pluged in
    •Change PortableDeviceNameSpaceExcludeFromShell from 1 to 0
    •Change EnableLegacySupport from 0 to 1 <- this enables Windows Explorer to detect the device.
    •You can repeat these steps for your other sub-folders under VID_045E&PID_04EC&MI_00 if you have more devices.
    Now you just connect your Windows Phone 7 device to your desktop. Your Zune software will automatically, let it sync. Once it is done close your Zune Desktop application and now you will be able to see and browse your device as a drive in “My Computer”

WP7.png

If you have any questions ask or send me a PM.
    Thanks it worked for me.
    So now I can just copy my word docs to the phone.
    or u can install this reg - remove .zip extension.. (zune must be instaled)
    Registry Edit Attachment

Let me know if this is working for anyone.

The registry file attached would have to add an additional device.

In theory it should work.

or u can install this reg - remove .zip extension.. (zune must be instaled)
    What about the steps I recommend in the first post?

I cannot find "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEM". I'm using win 7, 64bit.