Actual Developer Edition on AT&T?

Search This thread

MattMJB0188

Apr 30, 2011
If the developer edition is bought directly from HTC's website, does that mean, despite the unlocked bootloader, it still has a valid warranty? I wouldn't have to anything except flash a custom recovery, right? Does AT&T's network place nicely with the developer edition?

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
That is a really good question. HTC technically reserves the right to void a warranty for any phone that has the bootloader unlocked, and yet this phone comes from the manufacturer BL unlocked. In practice it seems (from reports on XDA, at least) that HTC's enforcement of their policies is inconsistent at best. I've seen reports of unlocked bootloader is ok (warranty still honored) but custom ROM is not (even if returned to stock ROM, there apparently is some mechanism to tell if a custom ROM was ever installed); some reports of modding ok since the failure was hardware related, and other stories.

I suppose you can raise the question to HTC. But what they tell you, and what actually happens in practice may end up being two different things.

As far as compatibility with AT&T's network, from my understanding the hardware is exactly the same, just a non-AT&T branded ROM and bootloader unlocked. So it should work just fine on AT&T's network.

Reactions: MattMJB0188

MattMJB0188

Apr 30, 2011
That is a really good question. HTC technically reserves the right to void a warranty for any phone that has the bootloader unlocked, and yet this phone comes from the manufacturer BL unlocked. In practice it seems (from reports on XDA, at least) that HTC's enforcement of their policies is inconsistent at best. I've seen reports of unlocked bootloader is ok (warranty still honored) but custom ROM is not (even if returned to stock ROM, there apparently is some mechanism to tell if a custom ROM was ever installed); some reports of modding ok since the failure was hardware related, and other stories.

I suppose you can raise the question to HTC. But what they tell you, and what actually happens in practice may end up being two different things.

As far as compatibility with AT&T's network, from my understanding the hardware is exactly the same, just a non-AT&T branded ROM and bootloader unlocked. So it should work just fine on AT&T's network.

Thank you for your response. Yeah, after using Samsung devices for years, I kind of got use to them haha. I wasn't sure if HTC had a knox like warranty. Hopefully it performs well on AT&T, some have stated the signal is about average. I know with the T-Mobile Galaxy S5, for example, the reception was not has good as AT&T's own S5. That's why I ask. Sometimes the carriers optimize their devices so that they work better than unlocked devices.

garyd9

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Hardware-wise, the AT&T and DevEd phones are identical. The radio firmware is different, but I haven't noticed any particular difference going between the original AT&T radio (original stock firmware without any OTA's) and either of the two DevEd radio firmware's (original radio firmware and the radio firmware on the DevEd OTA.)

In terms of the warranty, HTC reserves the right to not honor the warranty for either of the model if the phone is modified. Being that the bootloader is already unlocked on the DevEd, that's not considered a modification. (On the AT&T device, unlocking the bootloader IS a modification.)

In actual practice, I've never seen a phone manufacturer void a hardware warranty for software modifications -- unless the manufacturer had good reason to believe that the software modification caused hardware to fail. (For example, a processor burns up from overclocking, screens that developed defects from being over-driven, etc.)

Reactions: MattMJB0188

MattMJB0188

Apr 30, 2011
Hardware-wise, the AT&T and DevEd phones are identical. The radio firmware is different, but I haven't noticed any particular difference going between the original AT&T radio (original stock firmware without any OTA's) and either of the two DevEd radio firmware's (original radio firmware and the radio firmware on the DevEd OTA.)

In terms of the warranty, HTC reserves the right to not honor the warranty for either of the model if the phone is modified. Being that the bootloader is already unlocked on the DevEd, that's not considered a modification. (On the AT&T device, unlocking the bootloader IS a modification.)

In actual practice, I've never seen a phone manufacturer void a hardware warranty for software modifications -- unless the manufacturer had good reason to believe that the software modification caused hardware to fail. (For example, a processor burns up from overclocking, screens that developed defects from being over-driven, etc.)

Thanks. This is exactly what I wanted to hear. I re-ordered the Developer Edition in Gold. Should be here tomorrow. It's seem like very promising device. May not even root it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.