Broke my S4's screen/digitizer, what should I do?

Search This thread

berfles

Sep 4, 2011
Yesterday my Spigen case broke, the little plastic part that surrounds the rest of the case/phone. Of course later that day I dropped my phone and it must have hit right where it was partly exposed, breaking the screen and digitizer.

The phone still boots up and works fine, I just can't get the screen to turn on. I'm actually not sure what exactly is broken, if the screen AND digitizer are busted or just the screen so that it doesn't turn on.

I guess I need to get a screen+digitizer from ebay and try my luck and replacing. I was going to go out today and pay full price for an S5 or LG G3, but now that I'm reading so much about all these new 805 Snapdragon based phones possibly coming, I think I'd rather just wait.

My options are use my old Droid X2, fix the S4 and wait, or just buy a new phone and fix the S4 whenever I feel like it.

On that subject, how do I go about getting my X2 back on as my primary phone with Verizon? I guess I can try to get in a chat with them.

Dec 19, 2012
If you have lost display as well, then the digitizer is shot. So you've got to replace the whole unit instead of just the glass. Costly thing, that. I've got an S2 with that issue that isn't with fixing, as it'll still cost around AUD$200 to get a new one. Ideally, I'd get a phone that died from other issues and use it's screen, but that's effort.

I'd probably recommend holding off and getting a new handset. Although the repair may still be worth doing if the parts are cheaper where you are.

berfles

Sep 4, 2011
Thanks, I've decided to just buy an S5 or G3, no way I'm spending $180 for a screen/digitizer when I can just buy a new phone for less than $100.