HTC DNA vs HTC J BUTTERFLY (PICS INSIDE)

Search This thread

pwrdbykyank

Mar 28, 2011
Hi guys, ok so now i have both phones, and i have provided some pictures bellow. I will soon take the butterfly apart and reveal the inside and answer some long awaited questions, but based off initial views i can almost promise none of us would be able to add SD card support from the j butterfly to the DNA. The reason i say this is because the J butterfly is about a mm or so longer in length than the DNA is, (i guess to support the infrared and sd card reader) but ya installing the sd card reader from the butterfly to dna would prove undoable since the back cover from J butterfly would not fit on the DNA.

Note: Verizon did a much better job detail wise on the DNA than the HTC J Butterfly is done but AU. The grill where ear speaker is, is not red like the DNA its just black and plain, the back HTC logo is not embossed and is only just printed small, gloss feel on the J butterfly is not bad, but i prefer the DNA's soft touch feel, and although the DNA looks thinner, it sits a little more raised on its back than the butterfly is. Ok here are some pics. I will do a video on it later.

DSC07420.jpg

DSC07421.jpg

DSC07422.jpg

DSC07423.jpg

DSC07424.jpg

pwrdbykyank

Mar 28, 2011
Lol ya, a lot of people would say the dna was a downgraded j butterfly, but aside from the sd card, i honestly think the dna is a more well built, better feeling, more sturdy phone. The j butterfly feels too plasticy and doesnt have the small details like the red grill for the earpiece or the bolder htc logo to make the phone stand out more.

djnicho12

Oct 23, 2010
san pablo
Where do you buy the butterfly j ? If you don't mind telling us

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

pwrdbykyank

Mar 28, 2011
I got it from someone i know in japan, but ya i tried my verizon sim doesnt work in it, going to try att sim later on today see what happens. Also yea that headphone jack area gives the thickness away quit well haha

BigMace23

Jan 30, 2010
Gotta say the front looks a lot cleaner without that Verizon logo though!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

rhettnis

Oct 17, 2010
whats the actual thickness of the two phones. The J Butterfly may LOOK thicker, but it may just be how the top of the phone is shapped due to whatever the hell that slot is for(SD/Sim idk). As you can tell on your DNA, the edges are quite round as it gets to the edge of the phone to make it appear its more slim than it actually is. Besides, were talking about like .5mm, which is rather insignificant.

Last edited:

rhettnis

Oct 17, 2010
It's actually interesting. The DNA's the "thickest" of the three. All the stats are from HTC websites.

DNA: 141 x 70.5 x 9.73 mm, 140g
J-Butterfly: 143 x 71 x 9.2 mm, 140g
Butterfly: 143 x 70.5 x 9.08 mm, 140g

figures, that curved edge is all just a trick to make the phone appear more thin, but I think it may also help with holding the phone too.

pwrdbykyank

Mar 28, 2011
yup dna is actually thicker, when u put them side by side, the dna sits higher thus the center of the phone is thicker.

jlevy73

Nov 8, 2009
Los Angeles
It's actually interesting. The DNA's the "thickest" of the three. All the stats are from HTC websites.

There is a 4th variant (Chinese version of Butterfly, x920e) although it has the same dimensions as the Taiwan version just a little lighter due to lack of micro sd.

X920e: 143 x 70.5 x 9.08 mm, 138g

shifted-is

Jan 21, 2013
Perth
So there is basically 3 versions of the same phone? I think the Butterfly is coming to AU - so any android development for the DNA is usable on the Butterfly?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys, ok so now i have both phones, and i have provided some pictures bellow. I will soon take the butterfly apart and reveal the inside and answer some long awaited questions, but based off initial views i can almost promise none of us would be able to add SD card support from the j butterfly to the DNA. The reason i say this is because the J butterfly is about a mm or so longer in length than the DNA is, (i guess to support the infrared and sd card reader) but ya installing the sd card reader from the butterfly to dna would prove undoable since the back cover from J butterfly would not fit on the DNA.

Note: Verizon did a much better job detail wise on the DNA than the HTC J Butterfly is done but AU. The grill where ear speaker is, is not red like the DNA its just black and plain, the back HTC logo is not embossed and is only just printed small, gloss feel on the J butterfly is not bad, but i prefer the DNA's soft touch feel, and although the DNA looks thinner, it sits a little more raised on its back than the butterfly is. Ok here are some pics. I will do a video on it later.

DSC07420.jpg

DSC07421.jpg

DSC07422.jpg

DSC07423.jpg

DSC07424.jpg
    cant wait for your video comparison....

sorry i had linked it in another thread. here is the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPM98DPKY0U
    The differences look to be pretty slender.

This is what caught my eye...

Are there any online stores selling the Butterfly J (HTL21) unlocked that ship internationally and if so please post the link.

Sent from my Desire HD using xda app-developers app
    whats the actual thickness of the two phones.