[Q] Android 4.3 and Bluetooth Keyboard Problem

Search This thread

felipepx

Dec 27, 2012
Valencia
www.heightdev.com
I have a Bluetooth Keyboard and he works perfectly if im using the 4.2.2. Now only the letters work, no Space, no enter, no backspace and nothing more... Anyone have this problem too?

(Sorry for my poor English)

========== UPDATE ========
Based on Google Code Forum users, I developed the app to solve this problem:

Bluetooth Keyboard Bug Fix:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.heightdev.ganhou

Tested on my Nexus 10 and work perfectly.
Need Root! Use at your own risk.

Last edited:

resplin

Jul 29, 2013
Utah
richard.esplins.org
Same problem

I have a Bluetooth Keyboard and he works perfectly if im using the 4.2.2. Now only the letters work, no Space, no enter, no backspace and nothing more... Anyone have this problem too?

I have the same problem. Everything worked great on 4.2.2, but the upgrade to 4.3 today broke my bluetooth keyboard. It reports as connected, but the onscreen keyboard doesn't disappear and only some of the letter keys work. Delete, language, back, home, sleep, all stopped working.

I have a Nexus 7 with a Zagg keyboard.

Anyone have an idea?

foxfire256

Jul 27, 2013
I also have a Zagg bluetooth keyboard that won't work with Android 4.3.

Is anyone having trouble with a bluetooth keyboard on Android 4.3 that isn't a Zagg keyboard?

shawnfr

Aug 21, 2010
I also have a Zagg bluetooth keyboard that won't work with Android 4.3.

Is anyone having trouble with a bluetooth keyboard on Android 4.3 that isn't a Zagg keyboard?

I have a Kensington UK bluetooth keyboard and although it shows as connected and typing the numbers to pair it worked, I get no input at all...
So you're better off than I am ;)

BubbleSort

Oct 19, 2011
I think this might be an Android 4.3 issue rather than a device specific issue. I have a N7 (2013) and my Apple Keyboard repeats characters sporadically and occasionally inserts spaces out of order.

kdietze3

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta
My Apple A1255 keyboard pairs but no longer connects in 4.3 on my Nexus 7 (2012). Works on my Nexus 4 with 4.3 and worked on 4.2.2 no problems.

BubbleSort

Oct 19, 2011
On your nexus 4 is the typing smooth and accurate? I'd like to see if this is a AOSP issue or a hardware.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Johnnycube

Jul 30, 2013
Here is a link to the issue - if someone is interested

There is also a temporary workaround:

Issue 58202: Apple Bluetooth keyboard not working in 4.3

PS I cannot post links - I'm new. Search for said issue on google.

Johnnycube

Jul 30, 2013
From the issue page:
can confirm that renaming /system/usr/keylayout/Vendor_0a5c_Product_8502.kl fixes it(ZaggKeys Flex here). Logcat now shows that it's loading the key layout from /system/usr/keylayout/Generic.kl.

Issue link:

I'm going to try the rename tomorrow to see if it works.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Ok - I renamed my /system/usr/keylayout/Vendor_0a5c_Product_8502.kl to /system/usr/keylayout/Vendor_0a5c_Product_8502.kl.old and rebooted.

Paired my keyboard and everything worked flawlessly. Since I'm from Germany I wanted to switch to a german layout. You can switch from the generic layout to the german by choosing the appropriate layout on Language and Input. Not all keys are working (like the mute button or the current apps running button) but I can finally type.

EasyE75

Jul 20, 2012
Greensboro
Tried my bluetooth keyboard and everything works fine for me. I am using the poetic keyboard for nexus10.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda premium

Jun 15, 2007
Ok - I renamed my /system/usr/keylayout/Vendor_0a5c_Product_8502.kl to /system/usr/keylayout/Vendor_0a5c_Product_8502.kl.old and rebooted.

Paired my keyboard and everything worked flawlessly. Since I'm from Germany I wanted to switch to a german layout. You can switch from the generic layout to the german by choosing the appropriate layout on Language and Input. Not all keys are working (like the mute button or the current apps running button) but I can finally type.

Ya, that was my post. It seems that Android, as of 4.3, is incorrectly detecting various bluetooth keyboards(all?) as "Broadcom Bluetooth Device", with keyboard type "KEYBOARD_TYPE_NON_ALPHABETIC", which is typically used for bluetooth game controllers(verified programmatically in the code for a game I'm working on).

For those looking to fix it: Renaming the file above requires root access. It's probably possible using a root file explorer, but I used a root terminal(specifically, terminal emulator logged in as root). I'll post here some instructions on how to accomplish it if you're using a terminal:

Note: first line is only needed if using a shell that doesn't automatically log into root. For example, it's unnecessary if using "adb shell" from a remote computer

Code:
su
mount -o remount,rw /system
cd /system/usr/keylayout
mv Vendor_0a5c_Product_8502.kl Vendor_0a5c_Product_8502.kl.bak

After that, reboot and you *should* be golden(I take no responsibility if this in some way breaks your device or generally doesn't work; this is just what worked for me).

I honestly haven't tried using a root explorer, but in theory that would just involve navigating to /system/usr/keylayout in said explorer and renaming the file from the GUI. Assuming, of course, that the explorer knows to remount /system as read/writable(or has a function to do so, in which case: do that first)

Last edited:

appaholic

Jul 31, 2013
I have tested both my Freedom Pro and Celluon Magic Cube Bluetooth Keyboards on both the Nexus 4 and
Nexus 10 devices running the newly released 4.3.

Both keyboards worked fine on both the N4 and N10 when runing 4.2.2.

Now the Magic Cube will work with the N10 but not my N4 as it will not connect.

But the Freedom Pro keyboard connects straight away and will work fine with both the N10 and N4.

So i think some things fixed with the bluetooth in the 4.3 OS update has broken other things. :(

Ah well the old saying is if it is not broken fix it anyway. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Ya, that was my post. It seems that Android, as of 4.3, is incorrectly detecting various bluetooth keyboards(all?) as "Broadcom Bluetooth Device", with keyboard type "KEYBOARD_TYPE_NON_ALPHABETIC", which is typically used for bluetooth game controllers(verified programmatically in the code for a game I'm working on).

For those looking to fix it: Renaming the file above requires root access. It's probably possible using a root file explorer, but I used a root terminal(specifically, terminal emulator logged in as root). I'll post here some instructions on how to accomplish it if you're using a terminal:

Note: first line is only needed if using a shell that doesn't automatically log into root. For example, it's unnecessary if using "adb shell" from a remote computer

Code:
    su
    mount -o remount,rw /system
    cd /system/usr/keylayout
    mv Vendor_0a5c_Product_8502.kl Vendor_0a5c_Product_8502.kl.bak

After that, reboot and you *should* be golden(I take no responsibility if this in some way breaks your device or generally doesn't work; this is just what worked for me).

I honestly haven't tried using a root explorer, but in theory that would just involve navigating to /system/usr/keylayout in said explorer and renaming the file from the GUI. Assuming, of course, that the explorer knows to remount /system as read/writable(or has a function to do so, in which case: do that first)
    Based on Google Code Forum users, I developed the app to solve this problem:

Bluetooth Keyboard Bug Fix:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.heightdev.ganhou

Tested on my Nexus 10 and work perfectly.
    Need Root! Use at your own risk.
    My Apple bt keyboard works just fine. Hilarious, eh?
    My Apple bt keyboard works just fine. Hilarious, eh?

It's the future alliance? hahahahahaha
    However, nothing works. I would be in a notepad page, long press to get the "select input device" and nothing but the Google-touch-screen keyboard was shown (choose languages, etc).

AFAIK, that's expected. Bluetooth (and I assume USB ) keyboards don't show as a different input method. When I use mine, SwiftKey stays active, though it changes its UI. It continues to suggest word completions, etc.

Of course, when I hit "a" on my keyboard, "a" shows up on the tablet....