[Q] Bricked l900

Search This thread

RACU73

Feb 13, 2014
I've been installing custom ROMs on android devices since the very first DROID and never bricked a phone I couldn't fix until now. I've been using custom ROMs on my l900 without any problems at all until the 4.3 ROMs started coming out. I had a lot of trouble trying to get Synergy with the 4.3 update installed on my phone but eventually got it up and working but without root access. Eventually got it rooted but it hasn't really been working right since then. I switched over to Smoothest ROM most recently and ran into a weird problem where I noticed my preferred browser Dolphin was no longer on my system. Tried downloading it and got an error, tried restoring it from a Titanium backup and got an error. Also tried installing Chrome and that wouldn't work.
At this point the 2.3 update for Smoothest ROM was out and so I copied the installer onto my mSD card, booted into recover, wiped data/system/cache/dalvik cache and installed the ROM. This is where my trouble started because I got an error saying it couldn't access part of the internal storage. So I combed the XDA forms (and thank you all for all your amazing contributions) and tried every suggestion I could find including formatting the internal storage partition and trying to install the Stock_MK4_w_Note3_v1.3-tester- signed-20140208_181306 and nothing is working. I still get I/O errors and my phone is totally bricked so I am hoping someone can read this and help me get my baby back :crying:.

jlmancuso

Apr 26, 2011
houston, tx
I've been installing custom ROMs on android devices since the very first DROID and never bricked a phone I couldn't fix until now. I've been using custom ROMs on my l900 without any problems at all until the 4.3 ROMs started coming out. I had a lot of trouble trying to get Synergy with the 4.3 update installed on my phone but eventually got it up and working but without root access. Eventually got it rooted but it hasn't really been working right since then. I switched over to Smoothest ROM most recently and ran into a weird problem where I noticed my preferred browser Dolphin was no longer on my system. Tried downloading it and got an error, tried restoring it from a Titanium backup and got an error. Also tried installing Chrome and that wouldn't work.
At this point the 2.3 update for Smoothest ROM was out and so I copied the installer onto my mSD card, booted into recover, wiped data/system/cache/dalvik cache and installed the ROM. This is where my trouble started because I got an error saying it couldn't access part of the internal storage. So I combed the XDA forms (and thank you all for all your amazing contributions) and tried every suggestion I could find including formatting the internal storage partition and trying to install the Stock_MK4_w_Note3_v1.3-tester- signed-20140208_181306 and nothing is working. I still get I/O errors and my phone is totally bricked so I am hoping someone can read this and help me get my baby back :crying:.

Read the last few pages of the thread. I have answered this issue over and over again. If you want help and willing to follow the directions step by step I can help.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: RACU73

RACU73

Feb 13, 2014
Yes please

Read the last few pages of the thread. I have answered this issue over and over again. If you want help and willing to follow the directions step by step I can help.

I'm not seeing a link to any thread but yes I want help and willing to follow your directions.

RACU73

Feb 13, 2014

Also I tried your suggestion from this thread step by step and it fails when I flash the ROM.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2542036

I get an error when its trying to install the radio that says "Error executing updater binary in zip"

This did work the first time I tried it in that I was able to at least get the stock Samsung boot animation to play but then it just stayed on that animation over night.

RACU73

Feb 13, 2014
Also I tried your suggestion from this thread step by step and it fails when I flash the ROM.

I get an error when its trying to install the radio that says "Error executing updater binary in zip"

This did work the first time I tried it in that I was able to at least get the stock Samsung boot animation to play but then it just stayed on that animation over night.

Also I just realized I pasted the title of the wrong file. The ROM I am trying to install is MC2_STOCK_with_COUNT_RESET-20130511.zip

RACU73

Feb 13, 2014
Can you link that thread? Sounds like it was not for your device.

Here is the thread

and this is what I tried

1. Boot phone into Odin/download mode
2. Flash twrp or cwmr via Odin.
3. When it reboots pull battery and then boot into recovery.
4. Flash this http://xdaforums.com/show...php?p=36388145 it is mc2 bootloader, firmware, radio, etc...
5. Reboot phone. Things get weird for a few mins but it will boot.
You are now Knox free once again but you are also bone stock.

srod562

May 11, 2013
Long Beach, CA
If everything else has failed it sounds like you need to odin the official stock rom. Did you take the OTA update to 4.3 or just flashed a 4.3 rom on top of 4.1.2? Are you trying to get back to stock MC2 4.1.2 or stock MK4 4.3?

Sent from my Knox Free Galaxy Note2 using SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

Reactions: RACU73

jlmancuso

Apr 26, 2011
houston, tx
Here is the thread

and this is what I tried

1. Boot phone into Odin/download mode
2. Flash twrp or cwmr via Odin.
3. When it reboots pull battery and then boot into recovery.
4. Flash this http://xdaforums.com/show...php?p=36388145 it is mc2 bootloader, firmware, radio, etc...
5. Reboot phone. Things get weird for a few mins but it will boot.
You are now Knox free once again but you are also bone stock.

Not sure what your problem is. In this post it sounds like everything is done. What do you need help with?

RACU73

Feb 13, 2014
If everything else has failed it sounds like you need to odin the official stock rom. Did you take the OTA update to 4.3 or just flashed a 4.3 rom on top of 4.1.2? Are you trying to get back to stock MC2 4.1.2 or stock MK4 4.3?

Ideally I'd like to get back to stock MK4 4.3 but what I want most is a working Note 2. I had already switched from MC2 4.1.2 to MK4 4.3 and installed a 4.3 ROM.

Where can I get the Samsung stock 4.3 rom?

Reactions: srod562

RACU73

Feb 13, 2014
towards ndffig

Not sure what your problem is. In this post it sounds like everything is done. What do you need help with?

Sorry for the confusion jmancuso. I followed the instruction you posted on another thread but they only got me as far as the Samsung animation. at the moment the only thing I can run on my phone is TWRP but it can't install anything without running it some kind of error.

jlmancuso

Apr 26, 2011
houston, tx
Sorry for the confusion jmancuso. I followed the instruction you posted on another thread but they only got me as far as the Samsung animation. at the moment the only thing I can run on my phone is TWRP but it can't install anything without running it some kind of error.

Sorry got this thread confused with another.

What is the exact error you get?

srod562

May 11, 2013
Long Beach, CA
Ideally I'd like to get back to stock MK4 4.3 but what I want most is a working Note 2. I had already switched from MC2 4.1.2 to MK4 4.3 and installed a 4.3 ROM.

Here's a link to the MK4 stock odin tar rom. You could try installing the original tar and see if that works. Hope this helps.
http://www.rwilco12.com/downloads.p...sung Galaxy Note II (SPH-L900)/Stock ROMs/MK4

Reactions: peepytoo

RACU73

Feb 13, 2014
occasioned pyirstr

Sorry got this thread confused with another.

What is the exact error you get?

Well part of the debug output seems to be getting cut off but here is what I see

Installing Radio...
assert failed: package_extract_file("modem.bin"
E:error executing updater binary in zip '/extern
Error flashing zip '/external_sdcard/MC2_STOCK_w

RACU73

Feb 13, 2014
hoesoc because

Here's a link to the MK4 stock odin tar rom. You could try installing the original tar and see if that works. Hope this helps.
http://www.rwilco12.com/downloads.p...sung Galaxy Note II (SPH-L900)/Stock ROMs/MK4

Thanks for the link. I extracted the file, put the phone into Download mode, plugged in the USB cable and this is what I get.

<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 0)

jlmancuso

Apr 26, 2011
houston, tx
Well part of the debug output seems to be getting cut off but here is what I see

Installing Radio...
assert failed: package_extract_file("modem.bin"
E:error executing updater binary in zip '/extern
Error flashing zip '/external_sdcard/MC2_STOCK_w

What version of twrp? Also did ypu check the md5sum of the download for mc2 stock with counter reset?

RACU73

Feb 13, 2014
What version of twrp? Also did ypu check the md5sum of the download for mc2 stock with counter reset?

My version of TWRP is 2.6.3.1

according to TWRP the file doesn't have a md5 file.

I'm starting to think I contracted some nasty piece of malware because things seem to keep getting work. Now I'm getting errors saying their isn't a partition table.

jlmancuso

Apr 26, 2011
houston, tx
My version of TWRP is 2.6.3.1

according to TWRP the file doesn't have a md5 file.

I'm starting to think I contracted some nasty piece of malware because things seem to keep getting work. Now I'm getting errors saying their isn't a partition table.

Ouch! To fix that you need a new pit for odin. I will see what I can find for you.

RACU73

Feb 13, 2014
Ouch! To fix that you need a new pit for odin. I will see what I can find for you.

Well what's happening is when I try to install any ROM now i get the usual write errors but then I get a few lines that say "Updating partition details..." but that's it. Since I'm not getting a notification that the partition details was successful I'm guessing it means that the their might be something wrong with the partition table.

Also I can't wipe data, cache, and system. I keep getting an error.

jlmancuso

Apr 26, 2011
houston, tx
Well what's happening is when I try to install any ROM now i get the usual write errors but then I get a few lines that say "Updating partition details..." but that's it. Since I'm not getting a notification that the partition details was successful I'm guessing it means that the their might be something wrong with the partition table.

Also I can't wipe data, cache, and system. I keep getting an error.

Try wiping with cwm or philz and as I said I will look into getting a pit file tp use in odin.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Flash this in Odin 3.07 or 3.09. In 3.07 use the PDA tab. In 3.09 use AP. http://www.mediafire.com/?7viivd985s7cp8l this will put you on the latest MK4 build. Make sure you see a COM port (while connected to the computer in download mode) in Odin before loading the file into the slot. ALSO use an OFFICIAL Samsung or HTC cable. People have had issues using aftermarket/ebay/generic cables.

If none of this works, I may have the L900 PIT file laying around.

Sent from my SPH-L900. Please hit the thanks button if I helped you out!