[APP] Spotify Controller

Search This thread

cewan

Sep 21, 2010
I have created a new application that I would like to get your comments on :)

Here's some info about it:
Spotify Control lets you control the real Spotify UI on your computer.
Now supports BOTH Windows and Linux. If upgrading, PLEASE upgrade the server software as well!
Spotify Controller lets you control the official Spotify user interface. No other app can do this for Linux computers.
PLEASE contact us by mail before submitting low ratings or negative comments.
Requirements:
* The official Spotify client must be installed on your computer. Please make sure that you can start Spotify and play music with it, prior to using SpotifyController.
* Linux or Windows. For Linux you must use the the Linux version of Spotify (not the one running under Wine). We have tested SpotifyController on Windows XP, Windows 7, Ubuntu 10.04 and Ubuntu 10.10. If you get it to work on other versions/platform please inform us so we can update this information.
* To be able to populate app with playlists/songs you must have the official Spotify app installed on your device.
Features:
* Start/stop song.
* Skip to next/previous song.
* Use the official Spotify app to populate your own favorite list of playlists and songs.
* Control the volume (using the volume buttons on the device).
* Configure multiple servers, e.g. if you want to control more than one computer.
* Shortcut in notification bar for easy access. Can be disabled in settings.
* Change color theme
* Show album art (can be disabled)
* Animations (can be disabled)
Server installation:
1. Download SpotifyController server from here: SEE ANDROID MARKET PAGE (link below)
2. Extract the package to any folder.
3. Run the install script and follow the instructions.
To upgrade server:
1. Extract the new software to the same place.
2. Run the install script again.
Known limitations (Windows only):
* Since the official Spotify client in Windows does not start playing playlists automatically, we need to kill Spotify and start it again when playlists are sent to the client. Drawbacks: slower loading of playlists and possibly dead icons in system tray.
Permissions used:
* External Storage - backup history items and server settings
* Wifi State - advice the user to use Wifi
* Internet - access the SpotifyController Server

Link
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.cewan.spotify
img.php

Feedback
If you see any problems in the app or have any suggestions, please post here. If you like the app please rate and comment it in the market.

Screenshot
ss-0-320-480-160-1-eaf9782823fd12606bf100eefaa0d4ca01630213

Last edited:

cewan

Sep 21, 2010
Major update!
You can now select songs and playlists as well as controlling the volume :)

RataDP

Feb 26, 2011
www.twitter.com
Good idea, but I've a problem :S

When I try to configure the app (in the phone) always says me "Failed Connecting", I opened the port in the firewall and the router but the same.. I try with external IP and internal but nothing... What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

EDIT: I have solved the error... I'm Stupid i didn't start the server :$

Last edited:

cewan

Sep 21, 2010
Good idea, but I've a problem :S

When I try to configure the app (in the phone) always says me "Failed Connecting", I opened the port in the firewall and the router but the same.. I try with external IP and internal but nothing... What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Try and connect from the same computer, by going to http://YOUR_IP:1258/SpotifyControllerServlet/SpotifyControllerServlet

If that works, try and connect from another computer to the same address.

garnmeister

Aug 27, 2009
Copenhagen
Running win7 Ultimate 64-bit, and I cannot get the server running...
I run install.bat, which runs through fine, even though it's unable to turn volume down and up.
The Desktop shortcuts are installed, but trying to start the server nothing happens.
Can't connect loacally, through LAN or WAN....

Any ideas ?

EDIT: So I can now connect, but it won't play anything :eek:(
The problem wit getting the server to run was missing PATH to java dir

Last edited:

cewan

Sep 21, 2010
Running win7 Ultimate 64-bit, and I cannot get the server running...
I run install.bat, which runs through fine, even though it's unable to turn volume down and up.
The Desktop shortcuts are installed, but trying to start the server nothing happens.
Can't connect loacally, through LAN or WAN....

Any ideas ?

EDIT: So I can now connect, but it won't play anything :eek:(
The problem wit getting the server to run was missing PATH to java dir

Try opening a playlist in the Spotify program on Windows, then see if you can control it.

garnmeister

Aug 27, 2009
Copenhagen
I can control Spotify from my phone, as in:
- Next / Prev. Track
- Play / Pause
- Volume up / down

Still unable to:
- Load tracks / playlist

Anyways, I would say that this is progress. Have I misread the first post or am I supposed to be able to load tracks and lists?

cewan

Sep 21, 2010
I can control Spotify from my phone, as in:
- Next / Prev. Track
- Play / Pause
- Volume up / down

Still unable to:
- Load tracks / playlist

Anyways, I would say that this is progress. Have I misread the first post or am I supposed to be able to load tracks and lists?

You can load tracks/playlists, just install the official Spotify app and then share tracks and playlists from that app to Spotify Controller. :)

garnmeister

Aug 27, 2009
Copenhagen
That is the part which isn't working for me.

I can import from the Spotify App, I have tracks and playlists visible in Spotify Controller. However, if I try to play them I get a really long loading time, I see Spotify being shutdown and restarted on the server, but nothing plays.

???

cewan

Sep 21, 2010
That is the part which isn't working for me.

I can import from the Spotify App, I have tracks and playlists visible in Spotify Controller. However, if I try to play them I get a really long loading time, I see Spotify being shutdown and restarted on the server, but nothing plays.

???

Ok, that sounds like a bug. I'm sorry to hear that. Too bad I am not able to test this on your type of system :-(

littlenano

Dec 15, 2010
I have the next problem:

Please start Spotify now.
Presione una tecla para continuar . . .
Is it started?

Playing...
El sistema no puede encontrar la ruta especificada.
Did music start?

"The system can not find the path specified"

I use W7 64-bits

Thanks

foh1981

Aug 20, 2008
Örebro
Just found your app on Market. Gave it 5 stars for the Linux support :)

I'm an Spotify Unlimited user since they (sort of) started with Linux support, but I'm not ready to move up to Premium just yet...

I was wondering if it's possible to add playlists with Spotifys HTTP or URI links. I don't know in what way your app "speaks" to the official Spotify app, but if it's using the URI or HTTP, couldn't you add a manual entry for this as well?

I opened the sqlite file on the sdcard but it didn't contain any URIs or the like, but I don't know if that's due to me not having populated the app yet or if it's stored anywhere else.

Don't know if you can answer, maybe it's a grey area because of Spotify wanting more Premium users? :)

cewan

Sep 21, 2010
I have the next problem:

Please start Spotify now.
Is it started?

Playing...
El sistema no puede encontrar la ruta especificada.
Did music start?

"The system can not find the path specified"

I use W7 64-bits

Thanks

Yeah, I think the problem is that you are running 64-bits. Where is spotify located?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have created a new application that I would like to get your comments on :)

Here's some info about it:
    Spotify Control lets you control the real Spotify UI on your computer.
    Now supports BOTH Windows and Linux. If upgrading, PLEASE upgrade the server software as well!
    Spotify Controller lets you control the official Spotify user interface. No other app can do this for Linux computers.
    PLEASE contact us by mail before submitting low ratings or negative comments.
    Requirements:
    * The official Spotify client must be installed on your computer. Please make sure that you can start Spotify and play music with it, prior to using SpotifyController.
    * Linux or Windows. For Linux you must use the the Linux version of Spotify (not the one running under Wine). We have tested SpotifyController on Windows XP, Windows 7, Ubuntu 10.04 and Ubuntu 10.10. If you get it to work on other versions/platform please inform us so we can update this information.
    * To be able to populate app with playlists/songs you must have the official Spotify app installed on your device.
    Features:
    * Start/stop song.
    * Skip to next/previous song.
    * Use the official Spotify app to populate your own favorite list of playlists and songs.
    * Control the volume (using the volume buttons on the device).
    * Configure multiple servers, e.g. if you want to control more than one computer.
    * Shortcut in notification bar for easy access. Can be disabled in settings.
    * Change color theme
    * Show album art (can be disabled)
    * Animations (can be disabled)
    Server installation:
    1. Download SpotifyController server from here: SEE ANDROID MARKET PAGE (link below)
    2. Extract the package to any folder.
    3. Run the install script and follow the instructions.
    To upgrade server:
    1. Extract the new software to the same place.
    2. Run the install script again.
    Known limitations (Windows only):
    * Since the official Spotify client in Windows does not start playing playlists automatically, we need to kill Spotify and start it again when playlists are sent to the client. Drawbacks: slower loading of playlists and possibly dead icons in system tray.
    Permissions used:
    * External Storage - backup history items and server settings
    * Wifi State - advice the user to use Wifi
    * Internet - access the SpotifyController Server

Link
    https://market.android.com/details?id=com.cewan.spotify
    img.php

Feedback
    If you see any problems in the app or have any suggestions, please post here. If you like the app please rate and comment it in the market.

Screenshot
    ss-0-320-480-160-1-eaf9782823fd12606bf100eefaa0d4ca01630213
    I think i've finished the Zenity script, so for those who wants a notification icon in Ubuntu can go here and check it out: http://paste.pocoo.org/show/384114/
    Download here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/873907/SpotifyControllerZenity.sh

Place it in the same directory as Spotify Controller. Double click on it to run. The script checks if zenity is installed, if it is placed in the correct location, if you're running Natty and need to whitelist applications for the system tray etc. It uses the same icon as provided by Spotify Controller so there's a beautiful little icon in the notification area which you click to shut down the server :)

You have to right-click and choose Properties and check "Allow to execute" under the Permissions tab. In Natty, you can add it to the launcher with the Main Menu application and choose New Item (not sure how to otherwise create desktop shortcuts but to make a text file).
    Edit: I updated the script with cd $(dirname $0) in the beginning to make it work with shortcuts. Download it again to get the updated version (don't copy and paste from the pastebin since it's not updated).
    Check /usr/bin and see if you have the SpotifyController script there. Sounds like you don't, and I'm guessing the installation script failed for you somehow. While you're at it check if KillSpotifyController is there as well :)

If you just want to try out the server you can download my script here and place it in the same directory as the zip you extracted: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/873907/SpotifyControllerZenity.sh
    All you need to do is right-clicking it and allow it to execute.
    Hello,

I downloaded the server and installed is using the install.bat. Everything goes well. The music starts, the music stops, volume up, volume down.

But when I try to access the server using the android app it keeps saying. No server available. Also when trying to access the server using ://localhost:1258/SpotifyControllerServlet/SpotifyControllerServlet I do not get any responce.

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate (I switched off my McAfee firewall while trying). How can I check if the server/service is running and/or how can I start the server.

Have you started the server with the other bat-file and/or shortcuts created by the install script? Sorry if that's a stupid question, but the install script doesn't start the server :) If you used the shortcut on the desktop, maybe you could try the bat file instead, and see if it gives you any pointers as to what isn't working.