[UPDATE: 4/2/12] PRL Information Thread

Search This thread

DarkManX4lf

May 11, 2007
NYC
Apparently I went overboard, 1 solid day of usage, and went over the 300mb limit. I got a warning, but was offered out of my contract with an etf waiver. 002 was amazing, just be careful kids

Sent by Logo the turtle

Just curious.... if they cancel you ....can you just sign up again or is your name banned from sprint?

DarkManX4lf

May 11, 2007
NYC
Also to the op, since its been a month with people providing results, what is the point of all this?

doeboy711

Dec 12, 2009
Owings, MD
Just curious.... if they cancel you ....can you just sign up again or is your name banned from sprint?

If they ban me I would just sign up in my wife's name and buy the phone's off of Amazon for $.01 hopefully lol. Best way to upgrade in my mind for the time being lol. I wonder if the Evo 4G LTE will be a penny as well when it comes out on Amazon. Then sell my Evo 4G and Evo 3D on CL for some $$$.

decalex

Apr 21, 2009
Boston, MA
Might be the wrong (but best) place to ask:

If my d/l speed is less than my u/l .. is that an indication that something is wrong? It mostly happens around where I live.

Lately been about .05mbps down, .30 up.

★•°’'°•★•° ⁿs⁴g

xHausx

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 5, 2010
Central Florida
Has anyone else had Sprint push a PRL update out to them? I got one a few days back but didn't didn't pay much attention because it didn't seem to affect anything.

I'm on 12117 now

Vdubtx

Jul 24, 2010
Apparently I went overboard, 1 solid day of usage, and went over the 300mb limit. I got a warning, but was offered out of my contract with an etf waiver. 002 was amazing, just be careful kids

Sent by Logo the turtle

Was it your first warning? I would assume not as it was only a days usage.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

norm12

Aug 17, 2010
First warning. To be fair, I work in an area with little to no sprint coverage, so I'm sure that didn't help either. But yeah, 1 days usage of 002 was it. 300mb is relatively little data

Sent by Logo the turtle

w0rdOo

Feb 1, 2011
Detroit
I just tried using the QPST to update to 12119 (the ROM I'm on has the modified EPST apk but it doesn't successfully change PRLs). My phone's screen turned off, then turned back on but it was showing solid black. I waited for several minutes and when nothing happened, I pulled the battery. The phone wouldn't boot up still, even after a factory data wipe from recovery.

I just reinstalled the ROM I'm on and now my PRL is on 12119. Anyone else have this bug? I don't know what caused it (probably something I did), but I just wanted to say that even though I couldn't reboot, I was still able to get the PRL I wanted. Reinstalling a ROM/running a nand backup isn't a big deal to me. Thanks for putting all of this together OP!

Vdubtx

Jul 24, 2010
I just tried using the QPST to update to 12119 (the ROM I'm on has the modified EPST apk but it doesn't successfully change PRLs). My phone's screen turned off, then turned back on but it was showing solid black. I waited for several minutes and when nothing happened, I pulled the battery. The phone wouldn't boot up still, even after a factory data wipe from recovery.

I just reinstalled the ROM I'm on and now my PRL is on 12119. Anyone else have this bug? I don't know what caused it (probably something I did), but I just wanted to say that even though I couldn't reboot, I was still able to get the PRL I wanted. Reinstalling a ROM/running a nand backup isn't a big deal to me. Thanks for putting all of this together OP!

Easier way to switch PRL's is to use, ##775# to change it. All you need is your MSL code and the prl on your sd card. Reboot after install and voila, new PRL. I felt it was much easier than going the QPST route.

mugsaway

Aug 9, 2010
I'm having a problem trying to change the PRL as well as just doing a regular update.

I have the EPST on the phone. I can go through all the steps and after coming back from restarting the phone I am still on 12117.

I have also tried to update via sprint, using the "update PRL" in the phone with no luck. I am still on 12117. This one concerns me because I was always able to change back to whatever the latest sprint PRL was, but no longer.

Also, if I did the QPST do I need to pull first, then install?

Bacardi222

Nov 4, 2011
Maryland
The ##775# method doesn't work for me, I enter that into my phone but nothing happens :(

EDIT: Other pound key commands don't work either...anyone know why this may be? Once I enter them (for example ##775#) it just erases all the characters and does absolutely nothing lol

Last edited:

mugsaway

Aug 9, 2010
I'm having a problem trying to change the PRL as well as just doing a regular update.

I have the EPST on the phone. I can go through all the steps and after coming back from restarting the phone I am still on 12117.

I have also tried to update via sprint, using the "update PRL" in the phone with no luck. I am still on 12117. This one concerns me because I was always able to change back to whatever the latest sprint PRL was, but no longer.

Also, if I did the QPST do I need to pull first, then install?

*** Disregard, I found my error. I was able to perform the EAST.. However, I still cannot update via phone settings to Sprints PRL.

wjason

Jan 4, 2010
Maryland
The ##775# method doesn't work for me, I enter that into my phone but nothing happens :(

EDIT: Other pound key commands don't work either...anyone know why this may be? Once I enter them (for example ##775#) it just erases all the characters and does absolutely nothing lol

You need a different epst.apk. This one works for me. Just copy to sustem/app, change permissions, and reboot.

Can't attach on xda app but Google will lead you to the file.

Here is a link:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=17196763&postcount=111

Mean Rom + AnthraX = killer shooter!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Before I go into the full details of the project, let's go over what a PRL is, what it does, and why it matters to you.

What Really is a PRL?

"The Preferred Roaming List (PRL) is a database residing in a wireless (primarily CDMA) device, such as a cellphone, that contains information used during the system selection and acquisition process. In the case of R-UIM-based CDMA devices, the PRL resides on the R-UIM. The PRL indicates which bands, sub bands and service provider identifiers will be scanned and in what priority order. Without a PRL, the device may not be able to roam, i.e. obtain service outside of the home area. There may be cases where missing or corrupt PRL's can lead to a customer not having service at all.

On many networks, regularly updating the PRL is advised if the subscriber uses the device outside the home area frequently, particularly if they do so in multiple different areas. This allows the phone to choose the best roaming carriers, particularly "roaming partners" with whom the home carrier has a cost-saving roaming agreement, rather than using non-affiliated carriers. PRL files can also be used to identify home networks along with roaming partners, thus making the PRL an actual list that determines the total coverage of the subscriber, both home and roaming coverage."

Source: Wikipedia

TLDR: The PRL tells a device what towers to connect to, which frequency to search on, and in what order to connect to them. This includes "on" and "off" network towers. PRLs do not effect 4G WiMax performance.

Why Should I Care?

The PRL directly effects the coverage you receive and the data speed performance of your device. Ensuring you have the latest PRL is critical to maintaining the best signal your device will get. However, there are a few "special" PRLs we can use in order to gain access to hidden features, such as 3G data roaming.

So What is This About?

I'm glad you asked. I've been working on this for a few months now and I'm now ready to go public in order to gain more statistical data from my fellow peers. I have a collection of PRLs that I have rigorously tested to see which ones give me the best performance. This isn't enough. I need real world testing for as many members as I can get.

While I can't give the full details of my project away yet, let me assure you it will benefit everyone on Sprint. Phase 1 of my project has already started and here is how you can contribute:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArqBGjrbNosddGR3OURoNnJLdTlTaEo1RmVEYjdVNlE

The above document is open to everyone and can be edited by everyone. This spreadsheet will be used to compile data from everyone's usage of the PRLs available to us. Check the bottom of the file for sheet of each individual PRL. Each one has it's own sheet. Just add your data for which ever PRL you are testing.

The tool accepted for measuring data speed is Speedtest.net. They are the industries leader in speed testing, and it is a very reliable application.

If the PRL you are testing isn't there, I have included a template sheet so you can make your own sheet. Please stick to the format and be honest. This project is for everyone to benefit from, so don't ruin it for anyone. Also be sure you are adding your raw data to the correct PRL sheet. Little mistake like that can skew the data. Please test "Home" and "Roam" equally, I am trying to obtain the best performing PRL overall. I want to repeat that 4G WiMax is not effected by PRL, so do not include 4G in your testing.

Be impartial, be true, be consistent, and most of all be precise. If you notice something is wrong, fix it. You can chat inside the document. Just check the top right hand side for the people viewing the document. I will check this document often and update it regularly.

I have included the primary PRLs for testing in the 2nd post, and instructions how to manually update your PRL from a PC in the 3rd post. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask away.

[UPDATE: 3/4/12]
    - Closed private testing
    - Added ##3432# to 3rd post

[UPDATE: 3/6/12]
    - Revised 3rd Post
    - Added Nexus S 4G support
    - Added Disclaimer to 2nd Post about Network Vision PRLs

[UPDATE: 4/2/12]
    - Phase 1 of private testing is through. Haven't posted results yet
    - Added new updated version of PRLs in 2nd post
    - Updated guides in 3rd post
    PRL Information

Mobile Broadband Corporate Sprint PRL
    - 11115 (Outdated)
    - 11117 (Outdated)

Mobile Broadband Corporate Sprint PRL for Network Vision*
    - 12117 (Outdated)

Corporate Sprint PRL

Corporate Sprint PRL for Network Vision*

Sprint PRL for Network Vision*
    - 21083 (Outdated)
    - 21085 (Outdated)

Sprint PRL
    - 60683 (Outdated)
    - 60685 (Outdated)

Modified Verizon PRL
    - 00001 (Outdated)

* If your device is not a "Network Vision Ready" device, these PRLs will not change that fact. It does not hurt to test these as they might improve the performance of your device.
    PRL 12121

Here is the latest Corporate PRL 12121...
    How to Update PRL Manually:

You must have your respected device's drivers installed prior to starting.

1. Download and Install QPST 2.7 - Build 366
    2. Open QPST Configuration in the "QPST" folder under Programs
    3. Disable debugging on your device
    4. Type one of the following codes in you respected device's dialer and switch to "CP" or "Modem"
      • Epic 4G Touch: ##8778#
      • HTC EVO 3D: ##3424#
      • Nexus S 4G: *#*#8778#*#*
    5. Plug in your device
    6. Click on the “Ports” tab and “Add a new port”
    7. Select the “COMXX – USB\QC Diagnostic” and click ok. If you don’t see a port, uncheck the box for "Show Serial and USB/QC Diagnostic ports only" and add all of the USB/Unknown ports. One of them should show an active phone.
    8. Click “Start Clients” on the top of the program and open Service Programming
    9. Select your device
    10. Click "Read from Phone" and enter "000000"
    11. Click the "Roam" tab
    12. Click "Browse" and select the PRL you wish to use
    13. Click "Write to Phone"
    14. Phone should reboot with the PRL you specified

How to Pull PRL From Device:

You must have your respected device's drivers installed prior to starting.

1. Download and Install QPST 2.7 - Build 366
    2. Open QPST Configuration in the "QPST" folder under Programs
    3. Disable debugging on your device
    4. Type one of the following codes in you respected device's dialer and switch to "CP" or "Modem"
      • Epic 4G Touch: ##8778#
      • HTC EVO 3D: ##3424#
      • Nexus S 4G: *#*#8778#*#*
    5. Plug in your device
    6. Click on the “Ports” tab and “Add a new port”
    7. Select the “COMXX – USB\QC Diagnostic” and click ok. If you don’t see a port, uncheck the box for "Show Serial and USB/QC Diagnostic ports only" and add all of the USB/Unknown ports. One of them should show an active phone.
    8. Click “Start Clients” on the top of the program and open Service Programming
    9. Select your device
    10. Click "Read from Phone" and enter "000000" or your MSL
    11. Click "Save to File" and save the file
    12. Open RL Editor in the QPST folder
    13. Go to "File" then "Open" and navigate to the location where you saved the file
    14. Open the .r0l file
    15. Go to "File" then "Save As" and save the file as a .prl file type.

If either are unclear in any way, please let me know.
    New PRL 12124

Attached is the latest PRL 12124.