Instruction + Files on How to Un-bricked and Band unlock Droid 2 Global with 629 ROM

Search This thread

qh8519a

Aug 9, 2012
Thanks for the response. Yes, the phone is in bootloader mode, but there are errors at this point on the device (A5, 70,70, and a few others....I assume because it is bricked). It does say ready or OK to program, so i assume the software should flash over. Once I hit one in the linux setup, then it goes through a bit of scripting and ends with 'critical error' RX(7)[02]ERR{IE}G[C33}. When I reboot the phone, I get a (something like) febe 0047 critical error.

I get the phone going again by going through the first few steps of the process again.

Thanks
Drew

When does the critical error occur? Also, is the phone in bootloader mode when you choose 1?

bhigham

Jan 28, 2009
Ok, that makes me wonder one of two things. Were you able to verify the MD5 of the CD image?
Also, how much memory does the computer have? Due to the way the liveCD works and all, it needs to have at least 1 gig of RAM in order to work.

qh8519a

Aug 9, 2012
The computer has 2 gigs of RAM, but I am not sure how to verify the MD5 of the CD image. I have a technical background, but I am new to the phone thing. How would I verify the MD5 of the CD image?

Thanks again for your continued support!
Drew

Ok, that makes me wonder one of two things. Were you able to verify the MD5 of the CD image?
Also, how much memory does the computer have? Due to the way the liveCD works and all, it needs to have at least 1 gig of RAM in order to work.

bhigham

Jan 28, 2009
There are multiple programs available, one I have used is at
http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/winmd5sum_portable
on that page is a portable version (no software gets installed on the system), but if you click the Learn more about winMd5Sum... link, it will take you to an installable version.
Also, I am assuming that the critical error you are referencing is on the computer, not the phone, correct?

qh8519a

Aug 9, 2012
Thanks, I will check out the link. I get a critical error on my PC in the linux stuff and I also get the febe 0047 crtical error on the machine. I am going to try a difference machine to be sure it is not machine specific.

Thanks
Drew

qh8519a

Aug 9, 2012
Thanks for your efforts. It appears the issue was between the keyboard and the chair. The USB device I was using was just shy of the needed space for the files. I never got an error and assumed all the file was transferred. When I copied the image to a CD, it worked great. Thank again!

Drew

Thanks, I will check out the link. I get a critical error on my PC in the linux stuff and I also get the febe 0047 crtical error on the machine. I am going to try a difference machine to be sure it is not machine specific.

Thanks
Drew

bhigham

Jan 28, 2009
Thanks for your efforts. It appears the issue was between the keyboard and the chair. The USB device I was using was just shy of the needed space for the files. I never got an error and assumed all the file was transferred. When I copied the image to a CD, it worked great. Thank again!

Drew
That is helpful info to know, for future troubleshooting. Glad it finally worked for you.

danifunker

Sep 12, 2011
Toronto
www.funkervogt.com
@OP

Did all the instructions. Took a while to gather all the files and prepare everything, but after about 3 hours it was all good!

I did this process just in case I need to go roaming in the US, I'm up in Canada and using Rogers as my provider. They use AT&T for roaming...

Mental 1

Jun 26, 2012
Droid 2G Rooted in less steps.

I rooted a Droid 2 Global 2.3.4 (.629) on the Verizon network.
Followed instructions from another site which had the first ten steps
listed here, just written out a little different and also didn't require a phone call to Verizon
or having to unlock sim but worked almost perfectly.
The 2 problems that I came across was the Phone section did not make calls and some drop down menus
would not stay down or respond. Actually it would not connect to the cell network but everything else worked perfectly.
Did a factory reset from the Recovery and let the phone reset itself in wich it received the Verizon info as if it was new.
When all was said and done it kept the root. I'm new to rooting, only 2 Droids. I just wanted to let others know
that there may be short cuts in this rooting method. Thanks to all who keep this hobby alive.
Droid 2 Ginger 2.3.4 (.621) ROOTED (second time)
Droid 2 Global 2.3.4 (.629) ROOTED
Life in the Droid world is HAPPY again.

Last edited:

Eugeniu001

Aug 19, 2012
i think i bricked my phone :(

hello.
i think i just bricked my motorola droid 2 global :)
i am stuck at: 12. Flash 608 using EzSBF on USB stick (1KDStaz_D2G_4.5.608.iso) --> After flash completed, phone will BRICKED, don’t worry
don't really understand how to do it.
i am using windows 7.
and another thing about me to know is that i am stupid as ****, when it comes to use the computers... so, i believe i just broke my phone :)
any advice?

thanks in advance!

p.s. it seems that the battery is low, also and i can't relly do anything with the device. it does not seem to charge at all... it is plugged in the outlet for like an hour or so.

Last edited:

Gasai Yuno

May 11, 2011
Rausu
I'm a bit tired of repeating this every other week, but the phone does not charge if it's in bootloader or recovery mode.

It only charges if 1) there's a big animated battery on the screen or 2) if it has booted into the OS and displays the charging icon in the notification bar.

Eugeniu001

Aug 19, 2012
I'm a bit tired of repeating this every other week, but the phone does not charge if it's in bootloader or recovery mode.

It only charges if 1) there's a big animated battery on the screen or 2) if it has booted into the OS and displays the charging icon in the notification bar.

i know, i know. i said that i am dumb in the it stuff :) my last question is - what to do to resuscitate it? there is a posibility?

Eugeniu001

Aug 19, 2012
hey, i just flashed it on Crocket and i got everything working perfect: MMS, Text, Call, 3G... It's kinda weird that after like 5 months, I finally can use it :))
by the way, I am using a 55 android plan.

dzl

Dec 8, 2010
Burlington, VT
US?

I'm currently using it with a $30 prepaid T-Mobile SIM. Unfortunately T-Mobile only has Edge where I live, but I get a pretty consistant 200kbps. Just as good as my Sprint phone lol. Next I'm gonna try the Straighttalk AT&T SIM.

Eugeniu001

Aug 19, 2012
US?

I'm currently using it with a $30 prepaid T-Mobile SIM. Unfortunately T-Mobile only has Edge where I live, but I get a pretty consistant 200kbps. Just as good as my Sprint phone lol. Next I'm gonna try the Straighttalk AT&T SIM.

yep, Cricket USA. i'm in Vegas :)
tried to flash it by myself, but the step with the Linux bootloader and stuff messed things up. so i decided to give it a try with cricket. i have a service near my house, they do that.
the main problem now is that i can't use wi fi. it connects then disconnects right away... scan, find, connect and disconnect.... pissing me off, but i can live with that.
any advices on that? any programs that can help?
thanks!

Jakeroxs

Jan 2, 2011
Most probably they have HSPA+. The D2G does not support T-Mobile's 1700 MHz 3G band.

Unless, of course, you mean you checked with some other, 1700-capable, device.

Actually T-Mobile does have some 1900 MHz band areas, you just have to be lucky enough to live in one :p it was kind of a big deal for iPhone unlocked users.

Can't add links but just Google search for T-Mobile 1900 Mhz.

orionxtc

Oct 19, 2009
Sorry guys, but I need a little help. Ive made it succesfully through step 2 after being stuck at the bootloader screen all day till I found your write up. Instead of going into recovery mode after rebooting (step 3) I get the white "M" display and then the phone will not boot and just sits there with the backlighting on.Ive tried reflasing multiple times to no avail. I really dont know what to do with this thing other than smash it with a sledge hammer at this point!

bhigham

Jan 28, 2009
Just from looking at what you have, it sounds like you didn't flash step 1, the 608 sbf.
However, if you are trying to unlock the baseband to use at&t or Tmobile, then you don't need to go thru this long process anymore.
This was necessary when there wasn't a way to root 629, but now there is a method to root 629. Once you have the 2.4.330 sbf flashed (sounds like you already have that if you have the white motorola logo), then you can go to
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1701862
download the sbf and root CD, (presuming your computer has at least 1 Gig of ram.)
and flash the 629 sbf from the CD, and then root the phone. The instructions are missing on the CD, so you have to be in bootloader before starting the SBF. To get to bootloader, hold down both volume buttons while turning on phone.
If you only have 1 gig of ram, it will be necessary to reboot the computer from CD between flashing SBF and rooting.
Then you can install Droid 2 bootstrap recovery, and flash the band unlock from recovery.
that will cut down on a lot of steps.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]Start Updated on 7-20-2012

****** Due to heavy download from wordwide users, Dropbox has temporay disabled my Public share because the traffic. ******

I had to created a new PRIVATE share to keep ALL files alive

In-order to download the files you need to have account with DropBox and click here to download

To help keep all links alive, please open new account with Dropbox by click here http://db.tt/AxpJcW9F , you will receive 2.5 GB of FREE cloud storage which can acces anywhere, anytime.

End Updated on 7-20-2012

After spend days reading hundred threads on multiple sites, I have come up with a quick instruction in 1 page on how to unbrick D2G and unlock the band to use on CDMA, GSM network such as Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile. (Sim must be unlocked by calling Verizon or using third parties unlocked from internet search)

All credit will go to the original posters; I'm just combined all together to create an instruction easy for new users plus all the files download are in one place too.

Copy files from step 5, 6, 7, 9 and 18 to SD card before perform "How to" steps below:

How to un-bricked and band-unlock Droid 2 Global:
    1. Flash 608 SBF using RSDLite (VRZ_A956_4.5.608_1FF_01.sbf) (press up arrow on keyboard while power up to enter flash mode)
    2. Flash Repack_629 SBF using RSDLite (BL=2 BOOT REC CDTf__Repack_629.sbf)
    3. Reboot, wipe data and cache (press x on keyboard while power up then press volume Up+Down at the same time )
    4. Enable Unknown Source and Development features in Setting (To Bypass activation, press TopLeft, TopRight, BottomRight, BottomLeft (above Emergency))
    5. Root D2G withSuperOneClick v2.3.3
    6. InstallOtaRootKeeper, Run Protect-root then temp-unroot
    7. Reboot to recovery then install 629 OTA update.zip then reboot(Blur_Version.4.5.608.A956.Verizon.en.US.zip)
    8. Open OtaRootKeeper and restore Root
    9. InstallDroid 2 Recovery Bootstap.apk then Reboot to Recovery
    10. At Clockwork Recovery, run Backup the nan-droid
    11. Flash 330 SBF suing RSDLite (VRZ_A956_2.4.33_1FF_01.sbf) --> After flash completed, phone will BRICKED, don’t worry
    12. Flash 608 using EzSBF on USB stick (1KDStaz_D2G_4.5.608.iso) --> After flash completed, phone will BRICKED, don’t worry
    13. Flash Repack_629 SBF using RSDLite (2_BL=2 BOOT REC CDTf__Repack_629.sbf)
    14. Reboot, wipe data and cache
    15. Enable Unknown source and Development features in Setting
    16. Root D2G with SuperOneClick v2.3.3
    17. Install Droid 2 Recovery Bootstap.apk then Reboot to Recovery
    18. At Clockwork Recovery, Wipe Cache and install band unlock (TBH_Band_Unlock_v2.0.zip)
    19. At Clockwork Recovery, run RESTORE the nan-droid (the one that backup on step 10)
    20. Reboot phone then it should be able to us AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon and enjoy

If you have any questions or problems, please post it here so we can help.

Please post your feedback here after your phone is unlocked.

Also, please select your RATING :good: at the Top Right of this post

Regard,
    KEY
    For band unlockers, there should be a much simplified option, if someone wants to try it.
    I put together a 629 SBF cd, that includes the new method of rooting 629. This would allow one to band unlock by
    1 Flashing 330 with rsdlite
    2 flashing 629 with the new CD
    3 Root the phone with the new CD (if you have 1Gb or less of RAM, reboot the computer first, or it will run out of space to unzip the rooting file)
    4 Install recovery bootstrap
    5 Bootstrap recovery and install TBH band unlock.

It would need to be tried out and verified, but the CD is currently available at
    https://rapidshare.com/files/2650843793/D2G_4.5.629_SBF-and-RootCD.iso
    md5 is
    579d7d5095fc2560205033456db150a2

Theoretically, you could even do all of this without losing your current setup, but not sure if that would work well or not. It would take a couple of extra steps, as you would first need to root and bootstrap recovery, and make a nandroid backup. Then you would do the 5 steps I mentioned, but would also restore the nandroid backup at step 5. No guarantees that would work, but very possible.
    D2G88, please read the whole line that is marked “11” again.

I repeat, please read the line corresponding to step 11 again.

Once you're done reading it again, please give it a little thought.

Open your mind. Let the text settle in your mind.

Read again:

After flash completed, phone will BRICKED, don’t worry

Take a short break, maybe 5 minutes or 15, to let it sink in.

Once it sinks in, proceed to step 12.

If it doesn't, repeat my instructions about rereading the line again.
    D2G still needs the sim card slot unlocked
    try
    http://sim-unlock.net/
    or
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/221218969616

---------- Post added at 12:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 PM ----------

more here
    SIM-unlocked

I've ordered from http://sim-unlock.net and received 2 codes in about 30 minutes.
    The first code worked and now I can use the Droid 2 Global with a Vodafone sim card (from Romania)
    check to see what baseband version you have, should be under settings/about.
    it should be "N_01.48.05R"
    if its not, then something got messed up and you don't have the Radio from 330