Samsung Series 5 Hybrid (Ativ Smart PC) W8 tablet - Quick Review for Note 10.1 owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

tenderidol

Feb 14, 2011
Alright. I've been playing with a Series 5 hybrid for a couple of hours now. This is a quick review with 2 pictures showing both units together (sorry for the grain in the pictures; I'll take better ones with my DSLR once I have more time), since some of the Note 10.1 owners might be interested in this particular model due to the Wacom digitizer and the S-Pen. It costs $649 (Staples is selling it for $599 at the moment).

First of all, the built quality is great. Yes, it has the same polycarbonate back panel as Note 10.1 and it moves little bit if you press on it in the center (which is not part of the typical tablet use scenario), but it feels really solid and not flimsy. Probably little better than Note 10.1, due to the fact that the back is one piece and wraps around the screen nicely and having less plastic parts merging into each other creates less movement and creaks. The full glass front with the integrated speakers on each side works very well.

The Series 5 hybrid is definitely designed for a landscape use. It's too narrow and awkward if you hold it in portrait mode. The thickness is similar to Note 10.1 and it doesn't feel particularly heavier. It comes with a power block (very similar to what you get with laptops), so while traveling, that will add some extra weight.

The stylus is smaller than the one that comes with Note 10.1. (it's slightly chubbier), and it's white. I played with S-Note for a while and it works very similar to what we have on the Note. Palm rejection may not be as accurate as on the Note 10.1, because after writing few sentences, there were 3-4 small lines under my hand where it was resting on the screen.

As for the performance of the Atom, it feels perfectly fine for browsing, e-mail, etc. I haven't noticed any lag while navigating from screen to screen, but when installing programs, moving to something else took a bit extra. It includes a 64GB SSD, but out of the box it has 34GB free. The screen on the Note 10.1 is more brighter compared to Series 5. I would say the resolution is similar in terms of sharpness, pixellation, etc. Since the labels are a lot more smaller in the desktop mode (see below), you can see the pixels in the letters under icons.

Unfortunately, it doesn't come with a preview of Office 2013 that was going to be upgraded to full version when released (this was mentioned for RT devices, but I remember reading it somewhere for the X-86 tablets, as well). It doesn't include Office 2010 either (you have to buy/install it separately). Since office 2010 is not touch optimized, using the stylus is a must. From this aspect, it feels like it was rushed to meet the Windows 8 launch date. This is a mistake on Microsoft's and Samsung's part, because the X86 machines are marketed as "productivity oriented" models as opposed to the Windows RT models, and the lack of touch-optimized Office suite takes away from it significantly. You can use Office 2010 on it without any problems in terms of functionality, but it's not tablet/touch optimized, and you'll definitely need that stylus.

This is my first encounter with Windows 8, so part of the learning curve is due to Windows 8 itself. Although, it's very easy and enjoyable to use it in the tablet mode, I find myself hitting that "Desktop" tile and using it as a "regular" computer. Over time, I'll probably move away from this habit. Once you are at the Desktop, you become aware of what's running in the background and it's a full Windows on a 11.6" screen. I thought the navigation would be a problem without the stylus, but it works OK, even though things look a bit small. After spending few minutes with it, you immediately realize that you're in Windows territory (pop up windows from Norton, security update reminders, restart reminders after installing the updates, etc.).

As of know, it feels more like a "computer" rather than a "tablet" if that makes any sense. Until I spend about a week with both, I won't form any opinions. I wish Office 2013 was included, since it's one of the most important factors for people considering an X-86 based tablet.

Let me know if you have any questions. Once I have some time, I'll make a more detailed side-by-side comparison of both tablets and add some more pictures.

ativ-1.jpg

ativ-2.jpg

Last edited:

mitchellvii

Jul 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
www.executivedecision.biz
Thanks, looks cool.

Yeah, I'm gonna wait for these to ripen in the marketplace for 6 months or so before I consider anything seriously. Once I do I will get either a 13.3" or 15" convertible ultrabook, 15" preferred and use it as a true laptop replacement.

As a tablet I would find having the tall skinny portrait mode disturbing I think. I greatly prefer holding my tablet in portrait mode for some reason.

Anyway, hope you enjoy it. So far sounds like you think it's ok but aren't blown away. I think that is the challenge W8 faces. For the premium price, people need to feel blown away. Even though the critics ripped the SGN10.1, users LOVED it and the device was saved, but if users themselves start giving weak reviews of the W8 tablets that will spell big trouble.

jedah

Jun 10, 2008
Thanks for the mini-review. Do you by chance have Photoshop? I'm curious how the Atom processor handles it.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
It's bigger than I thought. I also never thought about what you mentioned in using it in portrait mode. Is Windows S-Note a program in the control panel and are Android and W8 S-Note's compatible? Being able to share my Note's S-Note's via the desktop would be huge for me. Play some HD movies and games on it. I'm curious to see how the new Atom holds up without a discrete GPU. By all means share your experiences. I and I'm sure others are interested.

fella1

Sep 27, 2009
thanks for the quick thoughts. I'm interested in the series 7 version of the tablet which should be similar but faster than this one.

hoss_n2

thanks for the quick thoughts. I'm interested in the series 7 version of the tablet which should be similar but faster than this one.

Actually the series 7 (with core i3 /i5 ) isnt the same , it is thicker , larger and have ugly cooling fins at the back (core i5 gets really hot :) ) and they start at double the price (1500$ for WiFi only core i3 ) and the camera has no flash also

Sent from my GT-N8000 using xda app-developers app

tenderidol

Feb 14, 2011
Thanks, looks cool.

Yeah, I'm gonna wait for these to ripen in the marketplace for 6 months or so before I consider anything seriously. Once I do I will get either a 13.3" or 15" convertible ultrabook, 15" preferred and use it as a true laptop replacement.

As a tablet I would find having the tall skinny portrait mode disturbing I think. I greatly prefer holding my tablet in portrait mode for some reason.

Anyway, hope you enjoy it. So far sounds like you think it's ok but aren't blown away. I think that is the challenge W8 faces. For the premium price, people need to feel blown away. Even though the critics ripped the SGN10.1, users LOVED it and the device was saved, but if users themselves start giving weak reviews of the W8 tablets that will spell big trouble.

Yeah, I'm not blown away by it, for sure. It seems more and more that I'll be waiting for v2 as well.

Thanks for the mini-review. Do you by chance have Photoshop? I'm curious how the Atom processor handles it.
I'll install it later tonight and see what happens, but don't get your hopes up (see below).

It's bigger than I thought. I also never thought about what you mentioned in using it in portrait mode. Is Windows S-Note a program in the control panel and are Android and W8 S-Note's compatible? Being able to share my Note's S-Note's via the desktop would be huge for me. Play some HD movies and games on it. I'm curious to see how the new Atom holds up without a discrete GPU. By all means share your experiences. I and I'm sure others are interested.

Yes, it's definitely bigger than I thought as well, especially when you put the Note 10.1 on top of it. I like the overall design of the Series 5 better than the Note 10.1 (more streamlined and clean), but the portrait mode is really awkward. It might be good for taking long notes, but I can't see any other use for it. After reading your post, I tried to find a way to export the notes from the S-Notes, but the only option was jpeg. I'll look into the file structure and try to open them on Note 10.1. The S-Note is a program in the control panel. For some reason, the S-Note feels sluggish. Opening and saving notes take a bit longer than Note 10.1. For instance, the "S-Note tips" file took a while to load, and when opened, moving from page to page was very slow (i.e., "hit the right arrow, wait 2 seconds, page #2 is delivered, and so on for the remaining 5 pages). The exact same file on the Note 10.1 flies. In addition, there's no "page turn animation" on the Windows version.

I haven't played any games other than the Plants vs. Zombies that's included (trial version). By the way, the game played in its own window and there was no way to play it full screen, which was annoying.

One thing that I was really skeptical was the Atom processor, and unfortunately, it interferes with the usage of the tablet often enough to remind you that you are using a device with a slow processor. Just to test it out, while Windows update was running in the background, I started Windows Movie maker and imported 4, 3-4 minute long 720p files from my digital camera. It took a while to add the movies to the "Project" and once a timeline formed, I hit "Play" to preview the movie. The small video playback was stuttering. Then I hit the full screen button on the preview window, it was painful to watch the processor trying to keep up with background installation of updates and ongoing video playback. I tried the same thing without any background processes running; the small preview window was better, but full screen continued to stutter.

I'll keep testing it with some other tasks, but so far it seems underpowered.

Based on what I've observed so far, Series 7 might be a better choice for people who wants to have full Windows 8 in a tablet form. It won't be an option for me because of the weight, thickness and the price point. As long as you don't push the processor, Atom works fine for "general" stuff, but anything "extra" shows its shortcomings.

Last edited:

banderos101

Dec 26, 2010
Hey man, really appreciate you going out of your way to give us this comparison, much welcomed

Hope im not out of line in asking, if its possible to get some of the things you've mentioned, on video, if its not a bother that is

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
I tried to find a way to export the notes from the S-Notes.

They're "snb" files (on the Android Samsung Note's). Use Astro or ES Explorer to upload them from your Note to Dropbox and see if the Ativ is able to open, read, and edit them. If it is, and there's a program in Control Panel, we should finally be able to use and edit S-Notes from the Note on a PC. I'm guessing the S-Note for W8 app is on the backup and restore CD. Thanks for the time you're spending on this.

lord69

Aug 10, 2011
Thanks for your quick review.
I'm considering this tablet.

Can you test some 1080p mkvs with the S Player?
How do other players (vlc,.....) work on this atom processor?

tenderidol

Feb 14, 2011
They're "snb" files (on the Android Samsung Note's). Use Astro or ES Explorer to upload them from your Note to Dropbox and see if the Ativ is able to open, read, and edit them. If it is, and there's a program in Control Panel, we should finally be able to use and edit S-Notes from the Note on a PC. I'm guessing the S-Note for W8 app is on the backup and restore CD. Thanks for the time you're spending on this.
I copied one of the .snb files over to the W8 tablet. It's recognized as an S-Note file (the icon is the same), and if I double-tap on it, it attempts to launch the S-Note, but it never passes the "splash screen". If I launch S-Notes, minimize it, and double-tap on the .snb file from Note10.1, it maximizes S-Note, but it doesn't open it. It appears that they are not compatible. Furthermore, sorry for the misinformation; S-Notes is not under the "Uninstall Programs" list in control panel.

It would have been nice to share notes between platforms.

hoipiepeloi

Oct 25, 2012
Onenote performance?

tenderidol,

Thank you so much for this comparison (I'm going to hit your thanks button quite a few times, I think ;) ) I want to buy one of these tablets but don't want to decide until I know some more about the Atom performance. So if you have time (you get snowballed with requests, I'm sure) to install Office 2010 and test how OneNote inking performs in a big file (with quite some pictures inserted), a few pdf's open and internet explorer running in the background? I think there are many people interested in whether the Atom will be sufficient for notetaking in big files with some stuff in the background.

BTW, I read on another forum that some people use the extra length in portrait mode for multitasking: one window on top and the other below. Could be useful for copying-pasting things from internet explorer to notes. I think I would prefer 16:10 though.

samir_a

May 6, 2012
Mumbai
www.androidos.co.in
I have an issue not offence ment to anyone but this forum is for Note and lately all I the post I see are about W8 tablets and nexus 10 to an extent we have reviews of W8 tablets being posted. Need the focus back

tenderidol

Feb 14, 2011
I have an issue not offence ment to anyone but this forum is for Note and lately all I the post I see are about W8 tablets and nexus 10 to an extent we have reviews of W8 tablets being posted. Need the focus back

Non taken. However, this thread is targeted towards people who currently own Note 10.1 and are -or may be- interested in the Ativ Smart PC due to its stylus, S-Pen and the productivity aspect of it that may not be present in Note 10.1 (e.g., full Office suite, legacy Windows programs, additional ports, etc). The way both tablets are designed, I won't be surprised if most people end up owning both for different purposes. No offense, but the content of these threads are very clear with their titles, and anyone who is not interested about the products being discussed can easily avoid them.

Reactions: Kimonoskunk

tenderidol

Feb 14, 2011
Thanks for your quick review.
I'm considering this tablet.

Can you test some 1080p mkvs with the S Player?
How do other players (vlc,.....) work on this atom processor?
I made some mkv movies and played them on the W8 tablet. S-Player did not open the file (it said it was unsupported). Cyberlink Power DVD (non-full, "light" edition) is pre-installed and played the movies perfectly fine without any stutter, sync issues or degradation in audio and/or video performance. Actually, I just played them from the USB stick without transferring to the internal memory. I installed VLC Media Player, and the movies were played without an issue with VLC player, too. I didn't try any other media players. Just to make it clear, I created the movies from my Blu-ray discs using MakeMKV without changing any settings.

As for the other requests, I'll try to answer everything. I already installed the Adobe Suite and will report back on the performance of Photoshop, Illustrator and Dreamweaver, soon. The next will be Office 2010 w/ OneNote (the pre-installed trial doesn't contain OneNote, so I need instal my own copy).

Last edited:
Reactions: lord69

samir_a

May 6, 2012
Mumbai
www.androidos.co.in
Again did not mean to offend you or anyone nor do i find it offending or bad its I feel that it would help in two ways there would many on this site who would want to know your review on Ativ and if you created a category they would have been able to do the same over here your audience is only limited to note owners secondly as a note owner I come to this thread to get information specific to note and if do others will start doing so and start posting reviews. Let me just give an example if everyone post about each and every tablet in market you will not find a post of not in pages and hence I feel its does not help.

Personally I like what you are doing because I would believe your review then that done by various so called tech sites as they are biased

Hope you understand the point i am trying to make and again this my personal feeling and I am expressing it and in no way forcing it on anyone

fella1

Sep 27, 2009
Thanks for all the great impressions! Sounds like the atom based unit is a little underpowered. Do you have any comics? I read those a lot on my note in portrait mode and wonder how they would look on the extra long portrait mode of the series 5.

Reactions: Kimonoskunk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Alright. I've been playing with a Series 5 hybrid for a couple of hours now. This is a quick review with 2 pictures showing both units together (sorry for the grain in the pictures; I'll take better ones with my DSLR once I have more time), since some of the Note 10.1 owners might be interested in this particular model due to the Wacom digitizer and the S-Pen. It costs $649 (Staples is selling it for $599 at the moment).

First of all, the built quality is great. Yes, it has the same polycarbonate back panel as Note 10.1 and it moves little bit if you press on it in the center (which is not part of the typical tablet use scenario), but it feels really solid and not flimsy. Probably little better than Note 10.1, due to the fact that the back is one piece and wraps around the screen nicely and having less plastic parts merging into each other creates less movement and creaks. The full glass front with the integrated speakers on each side works very well.

The Series 5 hybrid is definitely designed for a landscape use. It's too narrow and awkward if you hold it in portrait mode. The thickness is similar to Note 10.1 and it doesn't feel particularly heavier. It comes with a power block (very similar to what you get with laptops), so while traveling, that will add some extra weight.

The stylus is smaller than the one that comes with Note 10.1. (it's slightly chubbier), and it's white. I played with S-Note for a while and it works very similar to what we have on the Note. Palm rejection may not be as accurate as on the Note 10.1, because after writing few sentences, there were 3-4 small lines under my hand where it was resting on the screen.

As for the performance of the Atom, it feels perfectly fine for browsing, e-mail, etc. I haven't noticed any lag while navigating from screen to screen, but when installing programs, moving to something else took a bit extra. It includes a 64GB SSD, but out of the box it has 34GB free. The screen on the Note 10.1 is more brighter compared to Series 5. I would say the resolution is similar in terms of sharpness, pixellation, etc. Since the labels are a lot more smaller in the desktop mode (see below), you can see the pixels in the letters under icons.

Unfortunately, it doesn't come with a preview of Office 2013 that was going to be upgraded to full version when released (this was mentioned for RT devices, but I remember reading it somewhere for the X-86 tablets, as well). It doesn't include Office 2010 either (you have to buy/install it separately). Since office 2010 is not touch optimized, using the stylus is a must. From this aspect, it feels like it was rushed to meet the Windows 8 launch date. This is a mistake on Microsoft's and Samsung's part, because the X86 machines are marketed as "productivity oriented" models as opposed to the Windows RT models, and the lack of touch-optimized Office suite takes away from it significantly. You can use Office 2010 on it without any problems in terms of functionality, but it's not tablet/touch optimized, and you'll definitely need that stylus.

This is my first encounter with Windows 8, so part of the learning curve is due to Windows 8 itself. Although, it's very easy and enjoyable to use it in the tablet mode, I find myself hitting that "Desktop" tile and using it as a "regular" computer. Over time, I'll probably move away from this habit. Once you are at the Desktop, you become aware of what's running in the background and it's a full Windows on a 11.6" screen. I thought the navigation would be a problem without the stylus, but it works OK, even though things look a bit small. After spending few minutes with it, you immediately realize that you're in Windows territory (pop up windows from Norton, security update reminders, restart reminders after installing the updates, etc.).

As of know, it feels more like a "computer" rather than a "tablet" if that makes any sense. Until I spend about a week with both, I won't form any opinions. I wish Office 2013 was included, since it's one of the most important factors for people considering an X-86 based tablet.

Let me know if you have any questions. Once I have some time, I'll make a more detailed side-by-side comparison of both tablets and add some more pictures.

ativ-1.jpg

ativ-2.jpg
    I disabled hibernation and happy to report that there's no significant loss of battery power overnight, and the stylus is ready to use after an "instant on" in the morning.

At the moment, my only concern with the Ativ is the size (the width in particular). For 20% of the time that I use it for content generation, it's great; for the remaining 80% of the time that I'm using it for content consumption, it's little too wide. I'm hoping that there will be a slim case available from Samsung, soon, and unfortunately, that will add little bit more to the overall dimensions. Note 10.1 is perfect in this regard. Decisions, decisions!
    Thanks, looks cool.

Yeah, I'm not blown away by it, for sure. It seems more and more that I'll be waiting for v2 as well.

I'll install it later tonight and see what happens, but don't get your hopes up (see below).

Yes, it's definitely bigger than I thought as well, especially when you put the Note 10.1 on top of it. I like the overall design of the Series 5 better than the Note 10.1 (more streamlined and clean), but the portrait mode is really awkward. It might be good for taking long notes, but I can't see any other use for it. After reading your post, I tried to find a way to export the notes from the S-Notes, but the only option was jpeg. I'll look into the file structure and try to open them on Note 10.1. The S-Note is a program in the control panel. For some reason, the S-Note feels sluggish. Opening and saving notes take a bit longer than Note 10.1. For instance, the "S-Note tips" file took a while to load, and when opened, moving from page to page was very slow (i.e., "hit the right arrow, wait 2 seconds, page #2 is delivered, and so on for the remaining 5 pages). The exact same file on the Note 10.1 flies. In addition, there's no "page turn animation" on the Windows version.

I haven't played any games other than the Plants vs. Zombies that's included (trial version). By the way, the game played in its own window and there was no way to play it full screen, which was annoying.

One thing that I was really skeptical was the Atom processor, and unfortunately, it interferes with the usage of the tablet often enough to remind you that you are using a device with a slow processor. Just to test it out, while Windows update was running in the background, I started Windows Movie maker and imported 4, 3-4 minute long 720p files from my digital camera. It took a while to add the movies to the "Project" and once a timeline formed, I hit "Play" to preview the movie. The small video playback was stuttering. Then I hit the full screen button on the preview window, it was painful to watch the processor trying to keep up with background installation of updates and ongoing video playback. I tried the same thing without any background processes running; the small preview window was better, but full screen continued to stutter.

I'll keep testing it with some other tasks, but so far it seems underpowered.

Based on what I've observed so far, Series 7 might be a better choice for people who wants to have full Windows 8 in a tablet form. It won't be an option for me because of the weight, thickness and the price point. As long as you don't push the processor, Atom works fine for "general" stuff, but anything "extra" shows its shortcomings.
    Just finished watching the movie (1:58:36), the back panel didn't get warm at all. Whenever there was a background process (e.g., Windows update, etc), the picture stuttered a few times. The battery is at 57% now.

I'll transfer the same movie to my Note 10.1 tonight and run it side by side for a comparison.
    I just got back from staples checking out the 500T. I spent about an hour playing around with it and came away pretty impressed. Build quality felt fine to me, pretty much felt like a larger version of my Note 10.1. The weight felt fine to me, although I imagine that holding it in one hand for a very long period of time probably wouldn't feel too good. I started up several apps and didn't notice any lag when switching between them. I did notice however that some apps took a little while to load. S-Note did not start up as quick as it does on the Note. Function wise it felt the same though. Palm rejection seemed fine and the hand writing recognition worked pretty good. I downloaded and installed a comic book reader (comic rack) from the desktop IExplorer and the tablet remained responsive during this process. I played a little Plants vs zombies while it downloaded and installed (I agree that it is silly that you can't play the game full screen). The comic reader program started up fine although I didn't have any comics to try out on it. The portrait view seemed like it would be okay for reading them though.

Overall I really liked the tablet. I still think I would rather have the series 7 version though to have that extra performance level. If I do decide to get one (likely) and don't like it due to poor battery life, over warm case or extra weight, then I can just drop back down to the 500T and save some cash and still have a good experience.