New update incoming

Search This thread

docnok63

Nov 22, 2012
Memphis, TN
Still not sure where your pulling midnight on the east cost on Feb 14th from?

I guarantee u, we do know but might not be allowed to say it! =-O

Here in Calli, nothing pushin through yet. Update ota rollout is set for the 14th approved by vzw.

Anybody who works in tech support can confirm this.

All of this may be true, but you might have confused the wording. Midnight on the 14th is actually the 15th.

I would absolutely recommend holding off. In fact, if you're not rooted/unlocked and were planning on doing so, I would actually say that now's the time. It sounds, based on responses from devs, that this update will likely close the currently available/known unlocking methods.

I would suggest that you unlock/root/ROM and play with whatever configuration is available today until the devs dissect the update and let us know what we need to do.

This is very sound advice. Being an early adopter may close some doors for you or close ones you've already opened. Think before just hitting the accept button. There may be no turning back...

supertoast92

Jan 8, 2013
Hold off. Hold the Hell off. This has a Chance of removing our unlock method. I.e the exploit will no longer work.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk HD

I would absolutely recommend holding off. In fact, if you're not rooted/unlocked and were planning on doing so, I would actually say that now's the time. It sounds, based on responses from devs, that this update will likely close the currently available/known unlocking methods.

I would suggest that you unlock/root/ROM and play with whatever configuration is available today until the devs dissect the update and let us know what we need to do.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm rooted now, enjoying a de-bloated phone with wifi tethering. Otherwise the rom is stock.

kern3l

Jan 4, 2013
Just wondering, after installing this OTA, is it possible to flash the signed boot image of the current stock kernel and run the exploit again ?

Also would it be possible to run the current RUU after installing the OTA so that the new baseband remains ?

beaups

Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 28, 2007
Dublin, OH
Just wondering, after installing this OTA, is it possible to flash the signed boot image of the current stock kernel and run the exploit again ?

Also would it be possible to run the current RUU after installing the OTA so that the new baseband remains ?

no and no.

---------- Post added at 12:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

if the ota will install on your unlocked device (not sure if it will), you can probably just reflash your recovery and whatever rom, etc.

Reactions: kern3l

noordzy77

Sep 11, 2010
I am rooted stock, No ROM installed, not even debloated. Are there any steps I need to take to ensure that I stay that way. Kind of new to this whole process.

Jaggar345

May 24, 2012
Amston
You could try ota root keeper from the market I have had good luck with keeping root from that app on other devices but there are no guarantees.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app

zone23

Feb 16, 2009
I got nothing, I think its a myth... Verizon and an update? That will be the day..

docnok63

Nov 22, 2012
Memphis, TN

zone23

Feb 16, 2009
It is listed on our ota rollout schedule for the 14th. Hope it didn't get pulled at the last minute as they did with the LG Spectrum ota. The powers above can do anything.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Verizon pulled that on the ReZound at least once. This will be one of the 3 updates our device sees. Thanks HTC.. Side note I see the thunderbolt FINALLY got updated to 4.0..

MicroMod777

Recognized Contributor
Its here!!!!!!!!!!! I told u guys!!!!!

I'm not on stock so I can't install it.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360876409070.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360876409070.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 230

paulguy

Aug 29, 2010
I didn't get the option to reject the update, but I did get the option to defer until the 19th. Is there a way I can completely disable the auto update so I can wait for some pre-updated, pre-rooted ROM.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    All I want are the connectivity improvements.

Hopefully the update doesn't break root.

i just want more room for activities
    Pretty ticked that this isn't the 4.2 update. I love this phone, but super delayed carrier updates (such as the Thunderbolt just now getting ICS) is so damn annoying.

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk 2!

Your criticism of HTC/Verizon re: Thunderbolt updates is totally valid. But making comparisons between DNA and TB updates? That's just silly.

You can make these kinds of comparisons fairly when the DNA is 2 generations behind everybody else, like the TB was. But that is simply not the case right now. The DNA is pretty darn current, especially for a non-AOSP Android device.

So I'm sorry, but to be 'ticked' about ANY update when the device has only been out a few months is a bit melodramatic. My god, get real.

Sent from my HTC DNA
    The update auto-downloaded. I deferred installation. Where do I go to find where it stored the file?

Folder inside /cache
    For those of us who have held out unlocking so far, any speculation whether this will break the jcase method?

I've been told not to worry about it unless it has a new hboot...and before you ask: http://bit.ly/12LXLDw
    If we're on a custom kernel and/or rom will we get the update? I remember on Moto phones you have to be on the stock firmware with all its bloatware intact to get an update, though being rooted didn't matter.