[Q] Higher prioritize app not to be killed over another?

Search This thread

RevelationOmega

Jan 30, 2014
Florida
I noticed when playing my music w/ Viper FX that the sound quality goes from using the drivers of the app to stock flat (audio quality depreciates) since the app was killed while performing another task (such as opening hangouts or other apps while using phone). I noticed that Android doesn't release the RAM from another app that was being used (ex. ESPN, hangouts, etc) since those apps were more recent while Viper was opened and left. I was wondering if there existed anything to set a higher priority of the Viper FX (or other apps) over some so they won't be killed even if newer used? Thanks for any information.

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
Think this would probably be the easiest way: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.smartprojects.MemoryLocker - the developer is very well known for these kinds of mods and RAM management. Adjusting the oom ratio will give the app higher priorities so make it less likely to be killed. I'm sure there are ways to manual doing it via adding a script or something, but time and effort for all that, I dunno if it's worth it unless you really like to tinker and do stuff manually.

RevelationOmega

Jan 30, 2014
Florida
Thank you, that will probably be easier way with root. Was checking to see if any way to do manually since don't need just for Viper but may have to do it.

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
Ah, sorry. I was thinking that you had to have root for Viper, so that you were already rooted. Pretty sure there isn't a way to make these kinds of tweaks without root either manually or via an app like Memory Locker. There really isn't a compelling reason NOT to root, in my opinion. It's not complicated (compared to most other phones) and is fairly easy to reverse. If you'd like some help with it, lemme know.

Last edited:

RevelationOmega

Jan 30, 2014
Florida
I am rooted, sorry. Would it be possible to push the app from user app status to system app (via file explorer/permissions) (such as MusicFX)? Installed normally and it works great but maybe, if by making a system app, it'd be less likely to be killed versus user?

Don't want to use titanium backup push to system, had bad experiences and will not use the app again for some time.

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Theres discussion about putting viper in /system/priv-app in one of the two viper thread's in themes and apps (n5).

I still have mine in /data/data.

I've made it resident with the xposed module called "app settings" but I can't confirm anything yet

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

H

Hammer_Of_The_Gods

Hi,

I have not tested and I don't know if it will be useful but there is an Xposed module to keep apps in memory, maybe you can try... This module is not only for this, there is other features.

Here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2437377.
- Resident in memory: If set, the system will try much harder to keep the app in memory even when you leave it. It might make the app more responsive when reopening but will also consume more RAM, possibly slowing down the overall system.

EDIT: maybe the app posted by es0tericcha0s is better, lightest and easiest to use...

:)

Last edited:

Johmama

Apr 2, 2013
Well I don't know if this is something that we can do or something the people who made the Viper audio mod need to do. Wouldn't a good way to keep it in memory be to keep a persistent notification? It really bumps up an app's priority in Android when it has an on-going notification up on the notification bar.

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Well I don't know if this is something that we can do or something the people who made the Viper audio mod need to do. Wouldn't a good way to keep it in memory be to keep a persistent notification? It really bumps up an app's priority in Android when it has an on-going notification up on the notification bar.

Like settings > show notification for example?

I've not tried it but I can hide it with notifyclean

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Johmama

Apr 2, 2013
Like settings > show notification for example?

I've not tried it but I can hide it with notifycleank

Yeah, exactly that. I just installed it again after a clean wipe of my phone a few days ago and have begun tinkering with it and JUST found that setting. To OP: enable the persistent notification. That'll make sure Viper4Android a high priority app when it sweeps through its open apps looking for one to close.

RevelationOmega

Jan 30, 2014
Florida
Yeah, exactly that. I just installed it again after a clean wipe of my phone a few days ago and have begun tinkering with it and JUST found that setting. To OP: enable the persistent notification. That'll make sure Viper4Android a high priority app when it sweeps through its open apps looking for one to close.

Would there be a way to hide it once enabled without using say Xposed? Running ART. Thanks for any info.

danarama

Aug 22, 2010

Johmama

Apr 2, 2013
Would there be a way to hide it once enabled without using say Xposed? Running ART. Thanks for any info.

I am not sure on this one. The first thing that comes to mind is long-pressing the notification, going to App info, then unchecking the box that says "Show notifications". However, I think if you do that, it lowers its importance, circumventing the advantage of showing the notification in the first place, and you're back to square one. So I guess I don't know how to help you with this part.

Yeah, I suppose we should probably move to the thread listed above, too.

Reactions: danarama

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I am not sure on this one. The first thing that comes to mind is long-pressing the notification, going to App info, then unchecking the box that says "Show notifications". However, I think if you do that, it lowers its importance, circumventing the advantage of showing the notification in the first place, and you're back to square one. So I guess I don't know how to help you with this part.

Yeah, I suppose we should probably move to the thread listed above, too.