SlimKat 2.6 RC2 on i777 Internal Storage Problem

Search This thread

wolftou

Mar 28, 2012
I know i777 does not officially have SlimKat so I apologize if it's not appropriate to ask this question.

I'm using SlimKat 2.6 RC2 from 9100 forum and got one problem. My internal storage goes haywire out of no where. It does that I have ~300MB available but I've only used up around 200 MB to include cache data. The bar on top of the screen shows that I still got plenty of space left. I tried clearing everything and even re-flash but nothing help.

After a full re-flash it would be fine, but as soon as I install an app, the available internal memory would drop.

Any help is greatly appreciated it. Thank you!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-02-09-02-01-05.png
    Screenshot_2014-02-09-02-01-05.png
    56.9 KB · Views: 102

SteveMurphy

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 22, 2012
Atlanta
I'm on the same rom as you, so I just checked my storage: sorry to report that mine is working fine - and I think yours is also. When you wipe in recovery, you must format /system, along with the other stuff (if you aren't already doing that).

My advice would be to use a file explorer and manually check what you have filling up your phone. If you were recently on a stock rom I would manually delete the preload folder (the only danger in doing that is it might corrupt a backup of a stock rom, if you have one. If you don't have that type of backup, delete away), or even something like this app can help: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cleanmaster.mguard

Last edited:

juanqui1893

Mar 10, 2011
Quito
Yes, You need to format system from Recovery and that should fix that, by the way do you install this rom with CWM or TWRP?? Because my i777 with kitkat the phone keeps rebooting itself i dont know why

Thanks!

SteveMurphy

Apr 22, 2012
Atlanta
Ok, I wanna port Celeriter rom 4.4.2 for i9100 to my i777, do you think that this procedure can brick my phone??

Regards!

You shouldn't have any trouble porting that rom, but because it's based on CM and not Slim, you can't use Renders' Slim kernel. I would suggest the TWRP CM version, only because I've not used the CWM version personally, but you shouldn't have any issues. Just make sure you follow the OP instructions and use the gapp package they suggest.

Reactions: creepyncrawly

juanqui1893

Mar 10, 2011
Quito
You shouldn't have any trouble porting that rom, but because it's based on CM and not Slim, you can't use Renders' Slim kernel. I would suggest the TWRP CM version, only because I've not used the CWM version personally, but you shouldn't have any issues. Just make sure you follow the OP instructions and use the gapp package they suggest.

AOcP announce the update to final version :D, As soon as they publicate the rom I'll flash that rom, cause I like Celeriter and Resurrection Remix, both kitkat, but Its based on AOSP and Celeriter is based on CM11 with RenderBroken I guess it will work fine, but lets try lol

Thanks for your help!

wolftou

Mar 28, 2012
I'm on the same rom as you, so I just checked my storage: sorry to report that mine is working fine - and I think yours is also. When you wipe in recovery, you must format /system, along with the other stuff (if you aren't already doing that).

My advice would be to use a file explorer and manually check what you have filling up your phone. If you were recently on a stock rom I would manually delete the preload folder (the only danger in doing that is it might corrupt a backup of a stock rom, if you have one. If you don't have that type of backup, delete away), or even something like this app can help: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cleanmaster.mguard

Thanks for the help. If you look at the screen shot I included, the top bar says there's still plenty of room left. So, in actuality, the phone is almost empty with the exception of the 2 apps I installed (SuperSU and TiBu). Maybe there's just bad remnant of previous ROMs. I came from AoCP to SlimKat.

Anyhow, I reflash the rom again without using MrCook's wipe script and pretty much wipe and format everything that's possible. The phone is somehow working normally now *finger crossed*. I think the problem is the /data. MrCook's script doesn't format /data, and I never had to format data, only /system. But this time, I include /data with all the formatings. But who knows, it could be something else.

Thanks again.

Edit: I take it back, I just looked over mr-cook's wipe script and the script does format /data...so not sure what's the problem was.

Edit 2: Just in case anybody is reading this thread. Don't use mr-cook's wipe script for SlimKat 2.6, wipe and format everything manually. I just tried again with the RC3 and mr-cook's wipe script didn't clear everything so my internal storage was still filled up from previous ROM. Just FYI.

Yes, You need to format system from Recovery and that should fix that, by the way do you install this rom with CWM or TWRP?? Because my i777 with kitkat the phone keeps rebooting itself i dont know why

Thanks!

Formatting /system didn't help, I format /system every time I flash new ROM. But to your question, I'm using Render's TWRP and do not get any reboot so far.

Last edited:

CyanJustice

Oct 27, 2012
Toledo
So let me get this straight, and please quote me; we can actually flash ROMs from the i9100 forum as long as steps are taken to manually format partitions? Cause man, I've just been dying to give SlimKat a whirl on my i777, along with checking out other ROMs there. The i777 just doesn't seem to be as popular as its counterpart.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

wolftou

Mar 28, 2012
So let me get this straight, and please quote me; we can actually flash ROMs from the i9100 forum as long as steps are taken to manually format partitions? Cause man, I've just been dying to give SlimKat a whirl on my i777, along with checking out other ROMs there. The i777 just doesn't seem to be as popular as its counterpart.

That's as straight as it can be from me. I have i777 and is using SlimKat 2.6 RC3 weeklies with RenderBroken's kernel right now. I don't know about others but I have to manually wipe it. Also, I'm using TWRP when I do the wipes so I'm not sure if mr-cook's wipe script works differently with TWRP and CWM or not. Either way, manually wipe everything with TWRP is my way of doing it now.

And hmm, I don't know about ROMs but SlimKat works, and you need RenderBroken's kernel for it to work completely because 9100 doesn't have the same buttons as i777.

Last edited:

SteveMurphy

Apr 22, 2012
Atlanta
I don't know about ROMs but SlimKat works, and you need RenderBroken's kernel for it to work completely because 9100 doesn't have the same buttons as i777.

This is true, but the real reason you can only use Renders' slim kernel on SlimKat is because they use different ramdisks: no other kernel will work on that rom.

For other i9100 KK roms, his TWRP and CWM kernels work, so for those not based on Slim you can use whichever you prefer.

CyanJustice

Oct 27, 2012
Toledo
This is true, but the real reason you can only use Renders' slim kernel on SlimKat is because they use different ramdisks: no other kernel will work on that rom.

For other i9100 KK roms, his TWRP and CWM kernels work, so for those not based on Slim you can use whichever you prefer.

Great! So hey, help me out; which partitions do I have to wipe exactly, in which order? A chronological how-to would get my thanks for sure. SlimKat has always been my favorite ROM.

SteveMurphy

Apr 22, 2012
Atlanta
...which partitions do I have to wipe exactly, in which order?

You only need to manually format /system when installing other roms, along with the usual factory reset/wipe data stuff. As long as you install a rom after you format system, the order doesn't matter.

Example, you could format system first then factory reset - the order is irrelevant. What the system format is doing is removing the current system installed on the device (the OS). All a factory reset does is restore the current rom to basic factory settings - it doesn't erase anything in terms of the OS.

That's why formatting /system (especially when changing bases) is so important; it prepares the device for the new rom you install by allowing a clean install every time.

CyanJustice

Oct 27, 2012
Toledo
You only need to manually format /system when installing other roms, along with the usual factory reset/wipe data stuff. As long as you install a rom after you format system, the order doesn't matter.

Example, you could format system first then factory reset - the order is irrelevant. What the system format is doing is removing the current system installed on the device (the OS). All a factory reset does is restore the current rom to basic factory settings - it doesn't erase anything in terms of the OS.

That's why formatting /system (especially when changing bases) is so important; it prepares the device for the new rom you install by allowing a clean install every time.

Cool, thanks for the info! You guys generally like SlimKat? Is the memory usage better CM or Omni?

SteveMurphy

Apr 22, 2012
Atlanta
I may try and port slimkat over tonight, you think people would like that?

The Slim team doesn't approve of ports, I'm afraid you'd get shut down. I think people would like it, but I'd advise against posting it.

The workaround would be to build your own version from source, with additions from other roms. That way it isn't a straight port.

Reactions: creepyncrawly

wolftou

Mar 28, 2012
I may try and port slimkat over tonight, you think people would like that?

You know, if you're capable, I'd say just join the Slim Team. They discontinued i777 probably because of lack of device or developer. So if you can port/dev, why not just join the team and head up the i777 development. And since the i9100 and i777 is practically the same device, it wouldn't be too hard to work with the i9100 dev team. Just a thought.

I'm using the SlimKat 3 with Render's latest CWM test kernel and everything is working well so far.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I don't know about ROMs but SlimKat works, and you need RenderBroken's kernel for it to work completely because 9100 doesn't have the same buttons as i777.

...which partitions do I have to wipe exactly, in which order?

Cool, thanks for the info! You guys generally like SlimKat? Is the memory usage better CM or Omni?

Try all 3 and decide which one you prefer; we all like different things in our roms.
    ...do you install this rom with CWM or TWRP??

I use TWRP for KK, have never had a problem at all.